Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Partnership bill, can you explain something to me?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

Young men's freedom?, what an outdated view of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 stephenmaturin

A young man's willingness to give up their freedom? Are they being forced in marriage?

A willingness to give up one's freedom is not the same thing as having it forcibly taken away.
    A person's sexuality doesn't negate the role they role within the family, a gay man is still a father (should he have a child). I'm not sure why you are suggesting otherwise (by stating it would have to be changes to parent etc)

Since a child cannot have two fathers, the terms are flattened out on a sort of "neutral" equalitarian basis. Spain was one example. Two men (or women) cannot be called "mother" and "father" so instead people are designated by codes, "Progenitor A" and "Progenitor B". In this way, normalcy has been overthrown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Since a child cannot have two fathers, the terms are flattened out on a sort of "neutral" equalitarian basis. Spain was one example. Two men (or women) cannot be called "mother" and "father" so instead people are designated by codes, "Progenitor A" and "Progenitor B". In this way, normalcy has been overthrown.

Men & women used to live in caves too, but we are forever progressing. The desire for protection of "normalcy" as you call it, is just a knee jerk reaction of those unwilling to accept that things move on, often beyond the comfort zone of those with very conservative viewpoints.

Perhaps it is reactionary but that is the way some people see it. I'm not convinved that progress - political progress - is linear, going in a straight line from the past into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Minfrit

A willingness to give up one's freedom is not the same thing as having it forcibly taken away.

Since a child cannot have two fathers

You are suggesting that the man is making some supreme sacrifice by entering into a marriage, and should therefore be given some sort of prize! Ridiculous...

And a child can have 2 sex parents, and I imagine they both refer to themselves as fathers/mothers.

• Advertisement

You are suggesting that the man is making some supreme sacrifice by entering into a marriage, and should therefore be given some sort of prize! Ridiculous...

If men decide that it's no longer worth the bother then the OP's question will have been answered...that is how traditional marriage is undermined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CrazySnakeLady

Homosexual "marriage" radically devalues marriage, first, by de-linking marriage from the natural conception of children, and second, by eliminating the very concepts of husband, wife, father, mother. Since, under a same-sex marriage regime, these natural, sex-specific terms exclude same-sex couples, they must be replaced by such generic terms as "partner" and "parent." In Spain, the designated terms for parents are "Progenitor A" and "Progenitor B". Furthermore, young men's willingness to give up their freedom for marriage requires that the married state convey a special quality of honour to them. That promise of honour is destroyed when marriage includes homosexual "marriage," and young men contemplating marriage realize that instead of becoming a husband, they will become a "partner," the moral equivalent of a homosexual man or a lesbian.

If thats your opinion of what marriage is then gay people deserve it more than you because at least they fight for it whereas you seem to think it's a privelage and also punishment, if thats how all you straight males see marriage then why not give it up and let gay people own it and you can all stay single? no one is forcing you to marry, the problem here is people are forcing other not to be able to get married

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Minfrit

If men decide that it's no longer worth the bother then the OP's question will have been answered...that is how traditional marriage is undermined.

I would suggest to any woman out there: if your man is stating that he feels that traditional marriage has been undermined by civil partnerships and he now doesn't want to marry you...he's just not that into you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CrazySnakeLady

Is that the "traditional" marriage that is also supported by an organisation that has molested more young boys in the last 30 years than Michael Jackson has sold Albums?

the problem here is people are forcing other not to be able to get married

The Civil Partnership Bill will be signed into law in the autumn. As far as I can tell nobody is forcing, or rather preventing, anyone from doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you see marriage as a transcendent institution, if you see the relationship of a child to his biological father and mother as essential and vital, you can immediately grasp the destructiveness of gay adoption and “marriage”, as well as separation and divorce, and out-of-wedlock births.

Thankfully most people don't think that way and realise that a child that is loved and cared for by their adoptive parents is in a much better situation than one who is neglected by their biological parents. Out-of-wedlock births need not be any different to births within a marriage, marriage doesn't somehow give you amazing parenting skills. Divorce and separation do not necessarily always result in loss of contact with one biological parent. Better a child whohave divorced parents who they can be comfortable with rather than parents who hate each other but are staying together "for the sake of the kids".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is not gay marriage as that would be going against the constitution which states that marriage is between a man and a woman.

If the state wanted to bring in gay marriage they would need the people to vote on it, the chances are it would be defeated.

If the state wanted to bring in gay marriage they would need the people to vote on it, the chances are it would be defeated.

I assume that it would pass since it seems to me that modern, progressive attitudes are constantly gaining steam.

The constitution does not define marriage; special legislation was drafted to define marriage as being between a man and a woman a few years ago.

It depends on what you see a father as being. If it's just a donor of <50% of your genetic material or a male figure who raises his children and loves and supports them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Min wrote: »

I'd like to see it put to a vote to see what the actual reality is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Is that the "traditional" marriage that is also supported by an organisation that has molested more young boys in the last 30 years than Michael Jackson has sold Albums?
    FYP

I assume that it would pass since it seems to me that modern, progressive attitudes are constantly gaining steam.

Do you mean the media that promotes it?

Liberals with influence?

Younger people who vote less than older people?

Who decides what is progressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It is not gay marriage as that would be going against the constitution which states that marriage is between a man and a woman..
    In the actual text of the constitution, it does not specify that.

Daith wrote: »
    I'd like to see it put to a vote to see what the actual reality is in Ireland.

I suspect it would be like California.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It is not gay marriage as that would be going against the constitution which states that marriage is between a man and a woman.

Which article/section/subsection specifically states this ?
    If the state wanted to bring in gay marriage they would need the people to vote on it,

Have you actually read the constitution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Do you mean the media that promotes it?

Liberals with influence?

Younger people who vote less than older people?

Who decides what is progressive?

Aggressive secularists

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I suspect it would be like California.
    But with more rain.

Do you mean the media that promotes it? Liberals with influence? Younger people who vote less than older people?

Yes, I think that the media promotes it and that if something is fashionable in New York and London it tends to filter down to Dublin as well as Hellsinki, Warsaw etc. - all smaller European countries eventually.

I hadn't really thought about the voting patterns in terms of age. Also, some people will vote 'No' just because they don't like the government.

The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of marriage, on which the family is founded, and to protect it against attack.

That means between a man and a woman, as two men or two women can't physically through sex start a family.

In the actual text of the constitution, it does not specify that.

The institution of marriage, were they thinking of gay marriage when the constitution was being formed?
    I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That means between a man and a woman, as two men or two women can't physically through sex start a family.
    So allowing marriage between a man and a woman where one is infertile is unconstitutional?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mr. Mercurial

Homosexual "marriage" radically devalues marriage, first, by de-linking marriage from the natural conception of children, and second, by eliminating the very concepts of husband, wife, father, mother. Since, under a same-sex marriage regime, these natural, sex-specific terms exclude same-sex couples, they must be replaced by such generic terms as "partner" and "parent." In Spain, the designated terms for parents are "Progenitor A" and "Progenitor B". Furthermore, young men's willingness to give up their freedom for marriage requires that the married state convey a special quality of honour to them. That promise of honour is destroyed when marriage includes homosexual "marriage," and young men contemplating marriage realize that instead of becoming a husband, they will become a "partner," the moral equivalent of a homosexual man or a lesbian.

So this is what a conservative Klingon looks like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

No it doesnt
    you just imagine it does because you want it to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Mr. Mercurial

The institution of marriage, were they thinking of gay marriage when the constitution was being formed?
    I think not.

That the constitution is a living document is a long-accepted premise of Irish jurisprudence.

Neither can an infertile man and a woman, or an infertile woman and a man, or couples where the woman is post-menopausal.

Consistency is a wonderful thing, you should try it.

Advertisement