Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no degree vs some one with degree

• 07-07-2010 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

do people have chnace of getting job with only plc course and fas course stand a against people who have degrees(hons).i suppose not.

not all people are brilliant at school or at collage.end up leaving collage having no chance of getting against who degrees and worse of hons or masters degree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

Thats the spirit! :rolleyes:

lol... Of course you have, if you are prepared to work hard and put the hours in (work experience) / work you way up the chain it shouldnt hold you back.

Depends on the job of course eg. Doctor.. thats not going to work!

I havent got a degree but i do have certs from a further education college and that hasnt held me back in the slightest..

ladylouise wrote: »
    do people have chnace of getting job with only plc course and fas course stand a against people who have degrees(hons).i suppose not.

not all people are brilliant at school or at collage.end up leaving collage having no chance of getting against who degrees and worse of hons or masters degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭ladylouise

i know a guy he got honours degree in computer software( 6 years in collage no failure) i wish i was that smart that.he really smart. and amongst other things hes got that's alot now a days if you don't, have degree there is not much of getting any where

i am failure i have NO degree to show let alone honours degree like normal people do.feel such a failure

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Enderol

brady is completely right.

If you want to succeed you got to put the work in for it and gain as much experience as you can. I will add that you should do nothing short of harassing employers and companies for work. even if its working for free to gain experience.

I have an honours degree in science and trust me, it is NOT the main thing employers will look for. Having experience and people skills (i cannot emphasise how much more important this is!) will get you much further. I know plenty of people with brains to burn and top honours degrees and yet are complete fails in the workplace or at any job.

You really got to believe in your own skills and yourself.

If you can't convince yourself that your the right person for the job, that you have the skills and ability to meet there expectations and go beyond them, then your definately not gonna be able to convince someone else in an interview.

Never let anyone say your a failure, especially yourself.

Enderol wrote: »
    brady is completely right.

If you want to succeed you got to put the work in for it and gain as much experience as you can. I will add that you should do nothing short of harassing employers and companies for work. even if its working for free to gain experience.

I have an honours degree in science and trust me, it is NOT the main thing employers will look for. Having experience and people skills (i cannot emphasise how much more important this is!) will get you much further. I know plenty of people with brains to burn and top honours degrees and yet are complete fails in the workplace or at any job.

You really got to believe in your own skills and yourself.

If you can't convince yourself that your the right person for the job, that you have the skills and ability to meet there expectations and go beyond them, then your definately not gonna be able to convince someone else in an interview.

Never let anyone say your a failure, especially yourself.
    i did work hard every i went and studied science like you got through 1st year and failed 2nd years twice,i failed my leaving cert. i have another problem i have sort of low IQ 85 its no wonder i failed.i wish i had brains to burn like normal person like you enderol .you really smart person my ambition was to get diploma or degree if i was lucky but i wasn,t but i wasn,t the lectures were n,t very nice and they did n,t explain any thing very well either i went to IT TRALEE .it was bad choice of collage i had very very low points.i am not very smart either no matter how hard i work i still short of passing by few 10 or marks of passing

i don't think either me or Enderol can convince you then. I dont really have time for people drowning in self pity. (sorry but thats my view)

As for putting the hard work in, without qualifications..it can be done :cool:. As mentioned I do not have a degree but found a natural flair with IT.. Many years later & many many failures later... I am currently on Company number 3 doing consultancy work for governments...amongst other projects!

Maybe IT isnt your calling? there millions of different type of jobs out there! working with People, working with nature, working with charity... maybe have a long hard think about what you love doing in life.

i did work hard every i went and studied science like you got through 1st year and failed 2nd years twice,i failed my leaving cert. i have another problem i have sort of low IQ 85 its no wonder i failed.i wish i had brains to burn like normal person like you enderol .you really smart person my ambition was to get diploma or degree if i was lucky but i wasn,t but i wasn,t the lectures were n,t very nice and they did n,t explain any thing very well either i went to IT TRALEE .it was bad choice of collage i had very very low points.i am not very smart either no matter how hard i work i still short of passing by few 10 or marks of passing

• Advertisement

i don,t feel pity i worked hard and got nothing for it.IQ 85 is not excuse.
    i feel if i did n,t have low IQ 85 i,d worked have million times better i really would have degree.if i did n,t have such IQ i ,d have real chance of success.

i don,t think i,d have chance of getting job up against the very intelligent people with honours degree or master degree

I guess ill leave you with a quote from Henry Ford (the guy who founded Ford car company) which is one I follow very strongly from my own experience;

"Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can't, You Are Right"

Basicially if you believe you are going to fail, your going to FAIL. With your mindset and attitude naturally you are gong to see all of stumbling blocks and all of the cracks in your path and how difficult every thing is.

Maybe approach the next thing in your life with the attidude your going to pass this one, or your going to be a success at this job, trust me you wont notice the setbacks nearly as much as you did when you were expecting them!

i don,t feel pity i worked hard and got nothing for it.IQ 85 is not excuse.
    i feel if i did n,t have low IQ 85 i,d worked have million times better i really would have degree.if i did n,t have such IQ i ,d have real chance of success.

i don,t think i,d have chance of getting job up against the very intelligent people with honours degree or master degree

you see i am failure that why i can,t get any where.and loser its different for you.

Its no different for me than it is to you. I just choose to think differently, it doesnt take an IQ of a rocket scientist to change the way you look at things.

This is your choice to think that way, all you have to do change the way you think, not climb a mountain! end off.
    you see i am failure that why i can,t get any where.and loser its different for you.

what's the point any more.other people are better then me in every way.people don't treated me well any way.is seem pointless to bother other people are smarter and better looking and its easy for them. you see pointless the good looking people get good job because of there good looks the halo effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

I wouldnt put much stock in IQ tests as they only really measure how good one is at taking IQ tests. I dont feel that they are a true reflection of ones real intellegance.

As Brady says you really need to change the way you look at things and how you look at yourself. I got a basic part time job for a multinational IT company 4 years ago. I was not the handsomest guy there, I was not the most qualified guy there and I was the least experienced guy there. What I was however was the most reliable guy there, the most hardworking guy there and I always maintained a good attitude. Through this I managed to worked my way up the ranks and as of last month I am managing my own dept.

Anything is possible with a positive attitude imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

what's the point any more.other people are better then me in every way.people don't treated me well any way.is seem pointless to bother other people are smarter and better looking and its easy for them. you see pointless the good looking people get good job because of there good looks the halo effect.

What is the point of this thread? You started by asking "no degree vs some one with a degree" and you've now progressed to "other people are better looking than me". What have looks got to do with getting a job in IT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

....anyone notice the guywho startedthe thread spelt college with an a? you can, bill gates was a dropout, butit is much harder work, having an honours degree basically saysthis guy has put in the work, it means little more ina lot of cases than a legitimisation that this guy can put his mind to 3/4 years of hard work and get through it, it's proof you can so it's very helpful. (i think anyway, i just got my degree there two weeks ago, have to start looking for a job now, so it better help!)

i went to collage ITTRLEE NOTHING TO WITH COMPUTERS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 deise8

hi louise,

you come across as a capable young woman...i would be in agreement with other posters to not get hung up on IQ tests...you are a person in your own right, rather than base your worth on whether you are a degree holder or not...i have seen various posts of yours and i can totally understand what its like for you to live in an area with few facilities and the frustration of unemployment...look out rather than look inwards...failure is success turned inside out xx

deise8 wrote: »
    hi louise,

you come across as a capable young woman...i would be in agreement with other posters to not get hung up on IQ tests...you are a person in your own right, rather than base your worth on whether you are a degree holder or not...i have seen various posts of yours and i can totally understand what its like for you to live in an area with few facilities and the frustration of unemployment...look out rather than look inwards...failure is success turned inside out xx
    at least you understand me every one eles thinks i am making excuses for my self when i am not .believe i am not excuses.

i understand where you are coming from girl..it can be tough at times...try not to look at others...people that may look to be doing really well in life may not be as happy on the inside as they are letting on to be...the vast majority of people i know on facebook for example feel they must boast on a regular basis to boost their ego...i hold far more regard for those that keep themselves to themselves than those that have to make such a big deal about going on a sun hoiday or that its friday.."whoop whoop roll on weekend" etc etc...

yeah what i mean on face book i have come that line"going on a sun hoiday or that its friday.."whoop whoop roll on weekend" etc etc..."i am glad you understand me and you know what i mean.i know this guy he got honours degree and 122 friends on face book, girlfriend (s)he way popular with every one and he gets on with every one,hes nice looking and tall ,all the girls fancy him.he has a job ,and he travelled too and lives in great town with lots to do and lot of people he knows too.

now that what i call very lucky person

its a long road that has many a turning louise...everything will work out;-)

deise8 wrote: »
    its a long road that has many a turning louise...everything will work out;-)
    for me or for him.i don,t understand by what you mean its a long road that has many a turnings?

• Advertisement

i mean for everyone, life is like a long road with turnings...its not a straight run from start to finish...the guy you refered to may have had disappointment in the past, keeps the bright side out and appears to be lucky...while luck may be a part of it perhaps moreso that he set out to achieve what he did...like in the book "The Secret" you attract what you desire...focus on the things you want in life and they will come easier to you

The Secret" you attract what you desire.. i try to get what but i didn,t get it .i never got what i want unlike him. he has bright side out becasue things are always going his way all the time. of course he has bright side nothing goes wrong for it

i dont know what your situation is at present but i totally understand what you are saying louise..your not alone on the frustration that goes with being unemloyed and seeing your piers getting on well..maybe its best to focus on whats good for you and what you enjoy doing and try not to pay too much attention to how well they "appear" to be getting on :-)

does karma and luck have any thing with it.like that has like 122 friends both irish and foreign there of them are very good looking girls from foreign countries who are athletic as well. honours degree and girlfriend and car. and looks and brains,slim and popular with all the girls and man man with the guys

every thing he has i have the complete opposite.that means nothing at all,
    can i send you email what i don,t have and my situation.if you don't mind me asking if thats ok with you.to send it

Advertisement