Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickpeas

Options
  • 07-07-2010 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Right, so I bought a bag of dried chickpeas last week because "they'll be good for you" and they have been sitting in my press ever since. I know I need to soak them overnight, but then what? How do you cook them?

I want to add them to salads and maybe stir-frys.

Thanks y'all!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

After the soakage they might need an hour or two in a saucepan. It's usually something like boil for 10 mins then simmer for 90 mins. Test them after that and if they're still raw try another half hour. Any beans/peas (if they're not tinned) that we get generally need this type of treatment. Make sure you use fresh water rather than what they've been soaked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MazzyS

Thanks so much. I didn't realise they would take that long to cook! Bahumberg!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

They're goooood though. I got my little mits on various dried goods recently - good quality dried, not one-year-past-their-use-by-and-on-sale dried. Soak overnight, and put them on as soon as you get in from work - by the time you're ready to cook something they're halfway done, and by the time your dish is finished they're done and ready to be stirred through. (If you have time, of course, you can cook them IN the dish). I'm amazed at the superior flavour of dried and cooked over tinned (and I've always been a big tinned fan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MazzyS

Oohhh, I so excited for them now! I'll soak them tonight so I can have them for dinner. Am trying to expand the foods that I eat, so these better be as nice as ye guys are building them up to be! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Don't be afraid to buy tinned chickpeas - they are excellent and already cooked so it saves you hours. Just drain them and rinse off the brine and they're ready to eat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement