Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compact digital camera

• 07-07-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

I know this forum is normally more about 'proper' cameras but I'm hoping someone might have some advice for me. My hubbie already has a Nikon D60, and I'm just looking for a small compact digital camera that will fit in my handbag, or I could take on a night out without being afraid something might happen it.
    We have a compact digital already but for some reason it doesn't seem to work properly without the flash - with no flash nearly all the pictures come out blurry, so I think its time for a replacement.

Anyway I noticed this on the Argos website and wondered if anyone could tell me whether this is a good camera or not? I'm hoping to just spend around €100 eur ish, so if you dont think this is any good but have any other camera you'd recommend that'd be great!

Kodak M530 12MP Camera:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5593464.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Holding a small camera steady is very difficult. Any shake will cause the pictures to be blurry. With the flash on it freezes the moment.
    As a test put your camera sitting on a table and take a photo without the flash. I bet it will be ok. Don't go spending money until you are sure that there is something wrong with the one you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

So you dont think any compact camera will give half decent pictures without the flash? Its really frustrating - the pics are fine with the flash, and yeah if we can really steady it they're ok without the flash, but for just normal daytime picture taking surely its not too much to ask to have non-blurry pictures? Like the pictures are just totally useless without the flash at the moment.

Really what I am saying is that you are not holding the camera steady enough
    for non flash shots. You have got to learn how to press the shutter button without shaking the camera. The smaller the camera the harder it is to hold rock steady for sharp photos.

Thanks..... no matter how hard I try though I can't get my hands to hold the camera steady enough to take sharp or even relatively sharp pics. I'm sure I tried with my friends camera last time she had it out and it was working fine with no flash. Maybe some cameras are more sensitive to the shake than others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Have you tried changing the settings on the compact you have now? If there is a sport/action setting try using that as the shutter speed should be quicker in that setting which should eliminate blur.

If not, try complaining to the shop/manufacturer if you've bought it in the last couple of years. As a general rule under law goods have to do what a reasonable person would expect of them, a compact camera that cannot take a reasonable shot in daylight does not do what it's supposed to.

Will have a look through the settings and see. Just got p-ed off with it and haven't even looked at it in months! Nah its not that new, I'd say 3 or 4 years old, and bought it on hols so can't bring it back. Yeah I would have thought a camera that can't take at least half clear photos in daytime isn't doing what it should!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I bought this:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5593244/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/Trail/searchtext%3ESONY.htm

The other day for my daughter's Birthday. She will be opening it today so i'll have a proper look, but for the price, it's got all the right features - Optical Anti-blur, Carl zeiss wide angle lens, 14mp - plus, it's pink!! :D [important to a 14yr old girl] I got a 2GB SD card along with for an extra €7.99

I'll let you know how that one is, for €130 it looks to be a bargain. I had also looked at that kodak but the Sony IQ from the zeiss lens should kill it. Only €24 extra.

Advertisement