Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA, Tuition fees.

Options
  • 07-07-2010 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, hows things... those of you who got there places congrats :cool:....

So its time to get in the busy mode, school bags books notepads and of course money..
    I'm crurrently unemployed have been for a year and a half.
    Now im on the road, once again.
    I dotn know much about the back to education allowence.. How does it work?
    Whoo i speak to the comunity wellfare officer? are there other things im entitled to. and of course how does the tuition fees work if Im on the dole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hey folks, hows things... those of you who got there places congrats :cool:....

So its time to get in the busy mode, school bags books notepads and of course money..
    I'm crurrently unemployed have been for a year and a half.
    Now im on the road, once again.
    I dotn know much about the back to education allowence.. How does it work?
    Whoo i speak to the comunity wellfare officer? are there other things im entitled to. and of course how does the tuition fees work if Im on the dole.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

Once you have not done the same level degree before then I think the state will pay your tuition. There is also a five year rule of sorts but I aint really up on it so check here also http://www.studentfinance.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hi Snow-monkey, like you i have been unemployed for over a year and will be going to UCd in Sept. I am currently steeped in grants, application forms, paye statements etc so I can tell you pretty much all you need to know:
    BTEA - you will qualify once you have min 234 days (6 days in a week) of signing on. Fill in the BTEA form and send it in with a copy of your letter of offer. I dropped mine in today.
    BTEA will only pay a weekly allowance of €196 and a €500 once-off start up payment. No fees.

You should qualify for free fees if you havent completed a degree/diploma etc in under 5 years. You qualify under the 'second-chance' rule. Check with Admissions in your intended College.

BTEA will not pay the €1500 student registration fee but your Local Authority will. Download the Maintenance grant form from www.studentfinance.ie. Get started on this asap as there is a miriad of documentation required, long birth cert, P21, P60, P45, utility bills to prove residency in Ireland in 3 of last 5 years. Proof of residency at current address. Letters from all institutions you attended for courses, etc etc. Its a lot and Im losing the will to live here trying to get the list ticked off. Closing date is August 31st so get that in.

Assuming you sort all of the above you will have nothing to pay. Happy Days! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

lilylarkin wrote: »
    Closing date is August 31st so get that in.

The Dublin VEC have told me the closing date has been extended to January 21st 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

gs39t wrote: »
    The Dublin VEC have told me the closing date has been extended to January 21st 2011

Co.Louth : "The closing date for completed Grant Applications is 1st December 2010." VEC
    for HEG its the 31st of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Hi Snow-monkey, like you i have been unemployed for over a year and will be going to UCd in Sept. I am currently steeped in grants, application forms, paye statements etc so I can tell you pretty much all you need to know:
    BTEA - you will qualify once you have min 234 days (6 days in a week) of signing on. Fill in the BTEA form and send it in with a copy of your letter of offer. I dropped mine in today.
    BTEA will only pay a weekly allowance of €196 and a €500 once-off start up payment. No fees.

You should qualify for free fees if you havent completed a degree/diploma etc in under 5 years. You qualify under the 'second-chance' rule. Check with Admissions in your intended College.

BTEA will not pay the €1500 student registration fee but your Local Authority will. Download the Maintenance grant form from www.studentfinance.ie. Get started on this asap as there is a miriad of documentation required, long birth cert, P21, P60, P45, utility bills to prove residency in Ireland in 3 of last 5 years. Proof of residency at current address. Letters from all institutions you attended for courses, etc etc. Its a lot and Im losing the will to live here trying to get the list ticked off. Closing date is August 31st so get that in.

Assuming you sort all of the above you will have nothing to pay. Happy Days! Good luck

Hi Lily, congrats on your offer of a place. On the BTEA form it says that you must provide confirmation from the Registrar or Admissions Office of the school or college that you are registered as a full-time day student. You will only get the BTEA when you have given this information. I'm not sure if just giving them your letter of offer is enough or are you also going to give a letter from the Registrars office? I'm going today myself to try and get the letter from the college. Did you enquire from the Welfare Office or are you just getting your form in and them following up with the Registrars letter?
    Thanks for the info in your post btw.

• Advertisement

Hi, you are correct but it means the BTEA wont be paid to you until they receive proof of registration etc. But you can apply for BTEA to see if you are approved in principle. I rang the Social Welfare helpline and thats what i was told. It makes sense.

I went to the college today to ask about the letter and you can only get it once you actually start your course in Sept. I dropped in my BTEA form today and explained this to them and they said to drop it in when I start the course. No harm in having the BTEA form in early and then just drop in the letter when you get it.

What form do you have to fill in to get the €1500 fee paid? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right one. Is it from the VEC?

It is the same form that you use to apply for the Maintenance Grant. You just put a note in saying you are only applying for the Fee part of the grant.
    By the way did the Social confirm whether or not you are eligible for the grant or how long it would take for them to confirm your approval for the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I would try get your application in sooner rather than later.

By the way did the Social confirm whether or not you are eligible for the grant or how long it would take for them to confirm your approval for the grant?

I asked the woman how long it would take to be processed and this was her reply (I kid you not): How long is a piece of string? :eek:
    The civil service in this country really is a joke. I'm just going to go in once a week until I get processed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

you cant download thos forms. just says check with you local vec

I downloaded and printed out the forms no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

:( Hey, I am delighted to have been offered a place in Ucd but am no eligable for BTEA or a grant as I have an undergrad.
    Its lokking like I might have to turn it down as I dont think I can afford it without some assistance.
    What is this second chance rule u are talking about? My undergrad was sevral years ago. I tried looking it up on student finance but couldnt find anything?
    Please help or any other suggestions would also be great. Im kinda freaking out here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

browne111 wrote: »
    :( Hey, I am delighted to have been offered a place in Ucd but am no eligable for BTEA or a grant as I have an undergrad.

I was in this situation last year before I undertook my 1 year FETAC course in Nursing Studies. I already have a BA so presumed I couldn't apply for BTEA.

I had a couple of meetings with a local facilitator/education officer from my LES(Local Employment Service) who said that the stipulation ''if you already have an undergrad degree you can only apply for BTEA under exceptional circumstances'' doesn't necessarily mean you won't get BTEA if you already have a degree. He said that that rule applied to people who already have a degree BUT WHO ALSO GOT BTEA WHILE DOING THAT DEGREE.

So, I dunno. Also, surely exceptional circumstances include the recession etc. Plus, he told me if you are going into a totally new area of study (f.e a BA to a B.Sc) then that could also entitle you to it.

Anyway, in short: I got approved for BTEA for that one year FETAC Lvl 5 but now haveto reapply for my new Uni Lvl 8 course. Since I am progressing from a Lvl 5 to a Lvl 8, I assume I will get it again for this new course. I mean, the reason I did the nursing course for a year was to enhance my chances of getting into a healthcare related degree as a mature student so to disallow me now would feel a bit contadictory.

Hmm interesting! What was your original undergrad? and did u get BTEA for the fetac course?Mine was law, in which there are no jobs.
    I tried going to the education facilitator guy and said that Im unemplyed for like 14 months and no jobs in law and he kept saying I can do a hdip but not another undergrad, he was extremely unhelpful. What office did you go to do you mind me asking?
    I was in this situation last year before I undertook my 1 year FETAC course in Nursing Studies. I already have a BA so presumed I couldn't apply for BTEA.

I had a couple of meetings with a local facilitator/education officer from my LES(Local Employment Service) who said that the stipulation ''if you already have an undergrad degree you can only apply for BTEA under exceptional circumstances'' doesn't necessarily mean you won't get BTEA if you already have a degree. He said that that rule applied to people who already have a degree BUT WHO ALSO GOT BTEA WHILE DOING THAT DEGREE.

So, I dunno. Also, surely exceptional circumstances include the recession etc. Plus, he told me if you are going into a totally new area of study (f.e a BA to a B.Sc) then that could also entitle you to it.

Anyway, in short: I got approved for BTEA for that one year FETAC Lvl 5 but now haveto reapply for my new Uni Lvl 8 course. Since I am progressing from a Lvl 5 to a Lvl 8, I assume I will get it again for this new course. I mean, the reason I did the nursing course for a year was to enhance my chances of getting into a healthcare related degree as a mature student so to disallow me now would feel a bit contadictory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

The beta allowance isnt meant for people to rack up a second degree.its for the long term unemployed who perhaps didnt get the opportunity to go to college when they where young. Surely you dont think it's right that the state should fund a recent graduate who has been unemployed for a year since graduating to start a second
    Degree. It not the states responsibility to fund your change in career path. I am a recent unemployed graduate and wouldnt think its right that the state would fund a second degree for me, potentially taking funding away from someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

browne111 wrote: »
    Hmm interesting! What was your original undergrad? and did u get BTEA for the fetac course?Mine was law, in which there are no jobs.
    I tried going to the education facilitator guy and said that Im unemplyed for like 14 months and no jobs in law and he kept saying I can do a hdip but not another undergrad, he was extremely unhelpful. What office did you go to do you mind me asking?

Yes, I got BTEA for the 1 year FETAC course.

I did a BA before in UCD, joint major History and Archaeology.

I spoke to the facilitator as part of the National Employment Action Plan, btw. All young people who were unemployed for awhile from my area where requested for interview to discuss employment or education options. So, I spoke with this guy as he was dealing with education, getting people meetings with a local careers advisor etc. Had about 2 meetings with him where I explained my plans and then a follow-up interview about how I was getting on.

My local office is Kilbarack Local Social Welfare Office in Greendale Shopping Centre. The LES is next-door, where I spoke to this guy.

Thanks a mil for your help. Im going to get onto my local LES office first thing monday. Hopefully they can help me.
    I will try emphasise the fact I have a law undergrad with no job prospects but that I will get employment from the course I want to do, Radiography.
    Thanks Again
    Yes, I got BTEA for the 1 year FETAC course.

I did a BA before in UCD, joint major History and Archaeology.

I spoke to the facilitator as part of the National Employment Action Plan, btw. All young people who were unemployed for awhile from my area where requested for interview to discuss employment or education options. So, I spoke with this guy as he was dealing with education, getting people meetings with a local careers advisor etc. Had about 2 meetings with him where I explained my plans and then a follow-up interview about how I was getting on.

My local office is Kilbarack Local Social Welfare Office in Greendale Shopping Centre. The LES is next-door, where I spoke to this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Sweet thanks for the heads up on that :) sounds like I beta get started so,
    I'm currently changing address to (closer to collage)

/face palm

But wont be out for a month... this is gonna be some serious chicken soup me thinks :mad::rolleyes:

But thanks..:)

try not to loose the will to live ::P

Just wondering if anyone knows about these things on the BTEA form:

- the end date of the course - is this the end date of year 1 or the whole course? I dont know either yet so can you leave this blank? Curiously there is no field for start date so how do they know when to start paying you?

Also, i have the CAO offer letter, will this be accepted or do you need an actual letter from the college confirming you have registered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just wondering if anyone knows about these things on the BTEA form:

- the end date of the course - is this the end date of year 1 or the whole course? I dont know either yet so can you leave this blank? Curiously there is no field for start date so how do they know when to start paying you?

Also, i have the CAO offer letter, will this be accepted or do you need an actual letter from the college confirming you have registered?

I think you need the actual letter from the college once you register in September.

A quick question, I cant find evidence of my redundancy. Can I get something from the DETI rather than having to go back to my job looking for a letter cos I really dont want to do that.

Is September not a little late to apply for a BTEA? I imagine it takes a few weeks to be processed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is September not a little late to apply for a BTEA? I imagine it takes a few weeks to be processed anyway.

From what I have read around here if you just hand in the form to your welfare office, you will be approved but it wont be activated until you provide the letter from the college.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT WOULD AMOUNT TO EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES IN ORDER TO GET ANOTHER UNDERGRAD?

What are your circumstances Brown? how long since your first undergrad? Did you graduate? Are completely changing around your career or is it an undergrad in the same field? Was you original undergrad in Construction?

What are you looking for fees? grant? maintenance? You may be entitled to some, depending on your circumstances. Are you currently on Jobseekers Allowance/benefits?

hey Ive got one small question

I did a course about 5 years a go city and guilds it was a private course which I funded, my self would that have any create an issue ? do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i hope not, im relying on getting the btea, been unemployed since early January, ive already been offered my place in UL, but cant apply till i serve the minimum 256 days or whatever it is !!

What are your circumstances Brown? how long since your first undergrad? Did you graduate? Are completely changing around your career or is it an undergrad in the same field? Was you original undergrad in Construction?

What are you looking for fees? grant? maintenance? You may be entitled to some, depending on your circumstances. Are you currently on Jobseekers Allowance/benefits?

Hey, I finished in 2007. Completed my degree.
    It was in Law therefore related to the construction industry, conyevencing, solicitors work etc.
    I am completely changing as I want to pursue Radiography Undergrad, an area where there is work.
    I am on jobs seekers allownce and havebeen for past 16months, I live independent of my parents too.
    What I am looking for is any assistance at all. My fees alone will be €9000 per year for 4 years.
    Help.....

Hey Guys

Does any one know... weather or not I have to go to social welfare and request the following kinda documentation ?
    Documentary evidence for F2
    You must send us the following documents as evidence:
    a statement from the Department of Social Protection which has the following information:
    - the name of the person getting the payment,
    - the type of payment,
    - the amount the person got in 2009,
    - whether the payment included a Qualified Adult Allowance and, if so, the amount;
    - whether the payment included a Child Dependent Increase and, if so, for how many
    children and the amount for each child,
    - the date the payments started,
    - the date the payments stopped, (if applicable).
    If you are in receipt of a social welfare payment from outside Ireland, you will need to send
    us the above details from the relevant authority.
    We will not include certain social welfare payments in the calculation of reckonable income but
    the details must be given on the statement from the Department of Social Protection. Payments
    which are not included in calculating reckonable income are listed as excluded payments in the
    relevant student grant scheme on www.studentfinance.ie or from your local authority or VEC.

cheers this is just so confusing :/

• Advertisement

Bobby, you dont have to wait to serve the 234 days before you apply for BTEA. The social welfare calculate what your number of signings will be up to the time you start the course.

I sent mine in 2 weeks ago along with my letter of offer. Naturally you wont be able to draw down the BTEA until you give them copies of your registration in sept etc but my advice is to apply now. They will let you know if you are approved in principle.

SnowMOnkey, I contacted the Social Welfare office and they issued me with a letter outlining the details of my claim for inclusion in the Grant Application form.

Advertisement