Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA, Tuition fees.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

You can just phone them and ask for a letter stating what you need. They will post it out to ya
    Hey Guys

Does any one know... weather or not I have to go to social welfare and request the following kinda documentation ?

cheers this is just so confusing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Hey Guys

Does any one know... weather or not I have to go to social welfare and request the following kinda documentation ?

cheers this is just so confusing :/
    you can request the document here, i got it myself the other day, it came in about 2 days https://www.welfare.ie/EN/Secure/Pages/OnlineStatementRequest.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

BOBBY wrote: »
    you can request the document here, i got it myself the other day, it came in about 2 days https://www.welfare.ie/EN/Secure/Pages/OnlineStatementRequest.aspx

Thanks man :cool:

slight problem with that it only has job-seekers benefit.. I'm on jobs seekers allowance... But Its cool Im goona go in tomorow cause i have to apply for BTEA so I'll murder to biirds with one stone..

But thanks man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 45772

Sorry for jumping into this thread...its the most relevant one i can find along with being active...

I am unemployed and in reciept of jobseekers allowance since January

I recently applied for a 12 month taught masters in food science and got confirmation today that I have been offered a place..

Problem is I don't know if i will recieve a maintainance grant and have my fees of over €5,000 covered by my local authority before I accept or decline the offer

I contacted a job facillitator today on whether I could apply for a back to education allowance and retain my social welfare during the course of study...HOWEVER I have learned now that ONLY a postgraduate course in a diploma or masters in the field of education may qualify..

I am at a loss what to do, I hate decling the course offer...is anyone else in a similar predicament????

45772 wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping into this thread...its the most relevant one i can find along with being active...

I am unemployed and in reciept of jobseekers allowance since January

I recently applied for a 12 month taught masters in food science and got confirmation today that I have been offered a place..

Problem is I don't know if i will recieve a maintainance grant and have my fees of over €5,000 covered by my local authority before I accept or decline the offer

I contacted a job facillitator today on whether I could apply for a back to education allowance and retain my social welfare during the course of study...HOWEVER I have learned now that ONLY a postgraduate course in a diploma or masters in the field of education may qualify..

I am at a loss what to do, I hate decling the course offer...is anyone else in a similar predicament????

fret no there ios always away to get the money, You could try speaking to a comunity well fare officer, Fas. Or you could i know it s a bit of a farse but apply for a student loan :confused:

• Advertisement

hi snowmonkey just seen your post, thanks for your reply to my enquiry...student loan with a credit union has crossed my mind as a last resort..eventho this masters would be a very good follow on to my degree and is an area I am intersted in going into nonetheless still apprehensive would I be doing the right thing go through with it on very little financial security in advance and would it make me more employable by this time next year.

I have a WPP1 interivew coming up shortly, maybe I would be better to settle for that if i was fortunate to get it..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi ya,

I think you need to contact the higher education department in your county council because I do think you qualify. I have not seen anywhere in print that they only give grants to education degrees:eek::eek::eek:. Thats step one.

Then I think you need to go to citizens advice because I also think you qualify for BTEA which os basically your jobseekers under a different name.

Thanks for your reply aswell Smilerxxx to my enquiry...the job facilitator that i rang this evening whom my social welfare office gave me the contact number for said that if it was a a higher diploma (hDip) or graduate studies in education then I would qualify to retain my social welfare payment and the €500 book allowance...I later saw it on the back to education section of the welfare website...il try and get the link for it again.

I am only in the process of submitting my grant form this week which is extremely late considering I have been actually offered a place that leaves me with two weeks to acccept or decline...I suppose at the back of my mind I wanted to put my name in the hat so I would feel like I was making headway on something but didnt think I would get offered a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sorry if I'm being slow, but I'm going into second year and I'm on the BTEA, am I right in thinking I have to apply to the Council rather than Social Welfare for the registration fee?

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

Third Level Option

You can take a third level course at any university, third level college or institution as long as it is:
    • a full-time day course, and
    • approved by the Department of Education and Science for the
      • Higher Education Grant Scheme,
      • Vocational Education Committee's Scholarship Scheme, or
      • Third Level Maintenance Grant Scheme for Trainees, or
    • recognised by the Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC).
    Note:
    The postgraduate option of the BTEA scheme is only for people who wish to take:
    • a postgraduate course of study that leads to any Higher Diploma (H. Dip.) qualification in any discipline. or
    • a postgraduate Diploma in Education (Primary or Secondary teaching).
    Other postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree are not recognised for BTEA purposes.
    You will not get the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification.

• Advertisement

Right so you won't qualify for it, that is very wrong. We're all trying to better ourselves here. Get the grant in asap, its better than nothing. I don't qualify for BTEA as I am working full-time and giving up this job to go back and do my nursing degree. Got the place, handed in my notice, got approval for a grant. So im just gonna have to get a part-time job and I'll find one I'm determined:D

I am in total agreement with you Smilerxxx, when one is trying to better themselves to eventually cut free from the live register the support diminsihes on the last leg..yet if i didnt make any move or if i got a work placement programme then I get to retain my payments.

I admire your decision with regards to a nursing degree...wish you very the best of luck :)

def must get the grant app in asap this week,annoyed at my procrastination on that front when its so important to me to abtain it...just that i had interviews in the past few weeks since making a late application for the masters course and was hoping some one of them would have come up trumps for me rather than go the masters route

Well I think your doing a great job trying to get the best for yourself. Get in there on that masters and kick ass. I know the thoughts of losing the SW payment must be horrific, but you'll adapt. I bet you adapted quickly going on it. Thats the only way I'm able to prepare myself. I think you can tutor in the college during masters, get yourself a few quid (a nice few actually) maybe you can look into that? I've been holding onto money like seanie fitz for the last year to try and give myself a bit of a head start while im looking for part time work. You'll get a few hours work and you'll be glad you accepted the place.

Download the grant forms now and get cracking!!!! and well done for making a big decision :D:D:D

I am in total agreement with you Smilerxxx, when one is trying to better themselves to eventually cut free from the live register the support diminsihes on the last leg..yet if i didnt make any move or if i got a work placement programme then I get to retain my payments.

I admire your decision with regards to a nursing degree...wish you very the best of luck :)

def must get the grant app in asap this week,annoyed at my procrastination on that front when its so important to me to abtain it...just that i had interviews in the past few weeks since making a late application for the masters course and was hoping some one of them would have come up trumps for me rather than go the masters route
    Hi,
    If this course you are doing is a masters, i presume you already have an undergrad which means you wont get a grant no? Im confused!!

okay that makes two of us confused so...i recieved a grant during my years as an undergrad which i graduated from in 2009..I presumed you are eligible to apply for a postgrad course of at least one years duration if you havent one already...no???

Thanks Smilerxxx for your last msg it was postiviely uplifting to get another persons perspective on the decision..def i think to make a prisioner of each euro is the score for the next number of months ( easy bit to adpt to!!)and hopefully reap the rewards in the long run!

I realised too late that if I had applied for the Higher Diploma I could maybe still qualified to retain my social welfare...I thought when applying it may be best to go for a masters over a higher diploma given both were as expensive as each other in fees ...anyway whats done is done i guess...

Keep up the postivity and determination Smilerxxx its rubbing off on this fellow boardzee...thanks again for taking the time to offer advice, much appreciated;)

okay that makes two of us confused so...i recieved a grant during my years as an undergrad which i graduated from in 2009..I presumed you are eligible to apply for a postgrad course of at least one years duration if you havent one already...no???

oh i think im wrong, im thinking of if u want to do a degree/postgrad for the second time. Its just so confusing.
    Can one get the grant for a masters then ya?

confusion is the word of the day with me Browne111..so easy to get confused on what one is eligible for and what one cannot be deemed eligible for with making applications for courses, grants, etc...il try and track down where i saw it on the studentfinance website and stick it up for you to see....its a real learning curve at the moment isn't it testing unknown waters:o

hi browne111, if you go to studentfinance.ie and click on the maintenance grant tab on the homepage and then click "Check previous study" it will lead you to click "my chosen course is an approved postgraduate course" section then, click whether the under or over 23 on Jan 1st applies to you, the following should come up for you

I am Over 23 Years of Age on 01 January 2010
    You are eligible to apply for a grant if you meet either of the following conditions:
    • I am entering an approved postgraduate course* for the first time in the 2010-11 academic year

OR
    • I am entering an approved postgraduate course* in 2010-11 to complete it (for the first time), having previously been a candidate dependent on parents or legal guardians, an after a break of three years or more, having previously entered an approved course*.
    *Approved under either the Higher Education Grants Scheme or the Vocational Education Committee Scholarship Scheme.

Note: If you previously attempted an approved postgraduate course but did not successfully complete it and are now, following a break in your studies of at least five years, returning to pursue an approved course at the same level in 2010-11, you are still considered eligible to apply for a grant.

45772, your very welcome!!!! Cheap beer, ready meals, but great memories ahead!!!! I'm looking forward to the squalor LOL:D:D

I do think you can get the grant for the masters, But yes the amount of info out there is a joke. Especially when the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing... but bust through them, I rang every department possible, I double and triple checked and then phoned them back to check they remembered me LOL... got my grant approval in 2 weeks..
    well i did walk into the department and got a guy to take everything (dressed in my best secretary outfit...he lapped it up LOL)

• Advertisement

two weeks ...that was super response time...im paying heed to your tactics lady...best secretary outfit lol good thinking!;) as i said earlier to another poster its all one learning curve from the moment you go about enquirying to the day your graduated! :)

Ya i saw that alright, i just thought postgrads and masters would classed seperately like with the BTEA not covering masters.
    hi browne111, if you go to studentfinance.ie and click on the maintenance grant tab on the homepage and then click "Check previous study" it will lead you to click "my chosen course is an approved postgraduate course" section then, click whether the under or over 23 on Jan 1st applies to you, the following should come up for you

I am Over 23 Years of Age on 01 January 2010

You are eligible to apply for a grant if you meet either of the following conditions:
    • I am entering an approved postgraduate course* for the first time in the 2010-11 academic year

OR
    • I am entering an approved postgraduate course* in 2010-11 to complete it (for the first time), having previously been a candidate dependent on parents or legal guardians, an after a break of three years or more, having previously entered an approved course*.
    *Approved under either the Higher Education Grants Scheme or the Vocational Education Committee Scholarship Scheme.

Note: If you previously attempted an approved postgraduate course but did not successfully complete it and are now, following a break in your studies of at least five years, returning to pursue an approved course at the same level in 2010-11, you are still considered eligible to apply for a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Carolanne..

redout wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

Once you have not done the same level degree before then I think the state will pay your tuition. There is also a five year rule of sorts but I aint really up on it so check here also http://www.studentfinance.ie/

I dont think the 5 year rule applies if you havent received a grant before or if its not at the same level, but u do need a letter from the college you attended to confirm this

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

just a quick question applied to laois vec for a grant and got full fees only approved as i am also applying for BTEA.

the full fees only should cover all college costs ie: resgristration fees etc shouldnt it. will i have to pay money or just show the vec letter.

tks

neonitrix

Small question on the bte a form it asks, what is the course?

gives me the option of

second level, third level access, third level under graduate, Approved post graduate ?

im doing http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn112.html Ive no idea which one to tick confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

gives me the option of

second level, third level access, third level under graduate, Approved post graduate ?

im doing http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn112.html Ive no idea which one to tick confused.gif

I would say third level under graduate.

Sorry how did u get in if u dont even know what it is?:P

gives me the option of

browne111 wrote: »
    Sorry how did u get in if u dont even know what it is?:P

Hey this aint after hours if you cant help me out why post something so ignorant...
    :rolleyes:

ok I take it back but come on like!!
    Hey this aint after hours if you cant help me out why post something so ignorant...
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

browne111 wrote: »
    ok I take it back but come on like!!

If you wanna feel all self righteous about your self and give off a nice patronizing facade well done you've reached the pi-nickle ...

I applaud you.

If you cant help why are you posting ?. :mad:

Advertisement