Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA, Tuition fees.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Talk about overreacting, snow-monkey.

Ring the college, ask them your question and give them the possible answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Small question on the bte a form it asks, what is the course?

gives me the option of

second level, third level access, third level under graduate, Approved post graduate ?

im doing http://www.itb.ie/StudyatITB/bn112.html Ive no idea which one to tick confused.gif

Its a third level undergraduate course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Hi
    I am looking for a bit of advice hopefully someone might have an answer to my predicament.
    I got let go Dec 27th and applied through Cao for degree course in Nuig starting Sept 13th.
    Through good luck I was accepted on the course and will hopefully begin the course only if I can receive BTEA.
    Been into the jobs facilitator a few weeks back ad he said its more thn likely they will approve me for it as I am a couple of days short.
    The thing is my wife is not working and from overseas,there is no way we can afford to put me through Uni without this assistance.
    Its my first shot at college and I really want to do it and achieve a good qualification.
    Has anyone heard of people being accepted for Btea being a few days short as I could not imagine being on the dole for any longer and employment options are zero at the moment.
    Any info much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

I am filling out the BTEA form at the moment and I am hoping someone can help me with a question on two parts of it.
    First, it says ' have you been recently' awarded redundancy ?' .What defines recently. If you got redundancy last year, would it affect the claim.
    Second, it asks for a letter from the Registrar of admissions office. I have been accepted to College, but I have to wait until September to get that letter to say I am a full time student. Do I wait until then to hand in the BTEA form, because it seems a bit late then.
    Thanks for you help in advance.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

fill up your Btea form and hand it in asap ! macgrub
    if you out of work 9-12 mths you are entitled to apply for btea
    and if you were made statutory redundant you are elligble to apply for btea

If you wish to attend a third level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course.
    *If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment.

Redundancy
    If you are awarded statutory redundancy under Irish legislation, you can have immediate access to the BTEA. To qualify you must:
    • Take part in the BTEA scheme within one year of getting statutory redundancy
    • Be entitled to a qualifying social welfare payment before starting your course - see list above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Thanks for that W86indow. I see on the BTEA form though, it says I need confirmation from the College that I am registered as a full-time student. However, I will not be registered until the first week in September. Do I have to wait until then ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

ummmmmm yaaaa
    you send in your BTEA application to Social
    and if you are approved very good

then you have to wait until the first week to register for college and when you get that / get a letter from your college confirming you are registered with the college ..... then pop that into the social welfare btea section

and then your btea pmts shud start ....
    thats exactly how i am doing it so hopefully it wont take too long to approve

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

beagle001 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am looking for a bit of advice hopefully someone might have an answer to my predicament.
    I got let go Dec 27th and applied through Cao for degree course in Nuig starting Sept 13th.
    Through good luck I was accepted on the course and will hopefully begin the course only if I can receive BTEA.
    Been into the jobs facilitator a few weeks back ad he said its more thn likely they will approve me for it as I am a couple of days short.
    The thing is my wife is not working and from overseas,there is no way we can afford to put me through Uni without this assistance.
    Its my first shot at college and I really want to do it and achieve a good qualification.
    Has anyone heard of people being accepted for Btea being a few days short as I could not imagine being on the dole for any longer and employment options are zero at the moment.

Any info much appreciated

I have heard of people been approved shy of a few days, ultimately the facilitator usually calls the shots, however a letter from FAS recommending you for the course also assists.

macgrub wrote: »
    Thanks for that W86indow. I see on the BTEA form though, it says I need confirmation from the College that I am registered as a full-time student. However, I will not be registered until the first week in September. Do I have to wait until then ?:confused:

Yes for payment! but in the meantime get a copy of the letter of acceptance from the college and include this with your application for BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

Hi Guys,
    I have a Level 8 Honours Degree and Level 9 PG Dip, I completed these 7 years ago and they are in Arts. I have now gotten a FETAC pre-nursing course and got an offer for Midwifery in NuiGalway which is a level 8 also, I never received a grant during my Degree and for my Level 9 got only the fees covered.
    Does anyone know if its likely that they may process a grant application? I have been working part-time for the last year and was full time before this so will not be able to apply for any BTE etc as have never been on the dole.

Any advice would be helpful as the Bank will not help me unless I have a guarantor, which I don't, the Credit Union need to me to get a guarantee from my employer that I can work part-time at weekends through the college year, which they wount, so if I think there is any chance of getting a grant or anyone that I could talk to about getting it I will take it!!!

I have wanted to go back to do this for over 4 years and I cannot believe I got an offer thru FETAC, I am going to apply for a deferral but as I am 30 now thats a hard decision to put it off for another year.

Cheers to all.

• Advertisement

Marvel80 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I have a Level 8 Honours Degree and Level 9 PG Dip, I completed these 7 years ago and they are in Arts. I have now gotten a FETAC pre-nursing course and got an offer for Midwifery in NuiGalway which is a level 8 also, I never received a grant during my Degree and for my Level 9 got only the fees covered.
    Does anyone know if its likely that they may process a grant application? I have been working part-time for the last year and was full time before this so will not be able to apply for any BTE etc as have never been on the dole.

Any advice would be helpful as the Bank will not help me unless I have a guarantor, which I don't, the Credit Union need to me to get a guarantee from my employer that I can work part-time at weekends through the college year, which they wount, so if I think there is any chance of getting a grant or anyone that I could talk to about getting it I will take it!!!

I have wanted to go back to do this for over 4 years and I cannot believe I got an offer thru FETAC, I am going to apply for a deferral but as I am 30 now thats a hard decision to put it off for another year.

Cheers to all.

Unfortunately, I dont think your Grant Application will be entertained as you currently hold both level 8 and 9 qualifications, in order to avail of the grant you must be deemed to be taking a step-up from your current educational level which in your case is level 8+9.

I think the above also apply's to those seeking BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

Thanks, pretty much everything I have looked at says this but thought i'd throw it out there and see if anyone else has had a different experience.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

I completed a 2 year fetac level 5 course in computing in June.
    Before that I was on Jobseekers Allowance for a couple of years.
    Now I have been accepted to a 3 years Bachelors in Computing.

My question is, Am I eligible for BTEA if I just finished VTOS payments in June?

Any help appreciated coz I can't find any info on this anywhere.

Gerb68 wrote: »
    I completed a 2 year fetac level 5 course in computing in June.
    Before that I was on Jobseekers Allowance for a couple of years.
    Now I have been accepted to a 3 years Bachelors in Computing.

My question is, Am I eligible for BTEA if I just finished VTOS payments in June?

Any help appreciated coz I can't find any info on this anywhere.

IMO you are, but check with citzens advice to be sure.

Advertisement