Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Girls intimidated by Tall Muscular men?

• 07-07-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I've a good mate, he's a little shy, about 6"3 and all muscle, we're always out together and I always seem to pull more than he does. We both notice girls looking at him etc but their either too scared/intimidated to go and chat to him whereas I'm 5 foot nothing with a big mouth and I often get approached.

Would his dominance put girls off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Yup

Or we are thinking to ourselves, "out of our league girl" better find ourselves a 5ft guy with a big mouth:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

If he is shy girls might find it hard to chat to him - do girls strike a conversation with him???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

well considering a lot of girls are a good bit shorter than 6'3 maybe its a logistics thing?

i second the shy thing tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'm not, no, I'd be more intimidated by a short skinny guy if he was being aggressive than a tall, muscular guy who was nice to me. Depends totally on their personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

Pembily wrote: »
    If he is shy girls might find it hard to chat to him - do girls strike a conversation with him???
    No, they look and eye him up, almost like window shopping. He's fine if the girl chats to him first.

• Advertisement

liah wrote: »
    I'm not, no, I'd be more intimidated by a short skinny guy if he was being aggressive than a tall, muscular guy who was nice to me. Depends totally on their personality.
    So is anyone else intimidated by a guy of his size?

I slag him off and tell him he should try build up his mouth in the gym!!

So is anyone else intimidated by a guy of his size?

I love a tall guy!!!! Min 6ft for me and I am only 5ft 6 but tall all the way!!!! Height would never intimadte me!!! Not much would intimidate me and if I like the look of him I will strike a conversation!!

But you are saying he can't strike the conversation!!! A good trick is (worked at the weekend for me ;)) is if you see someone taking pics of a group that they are in offer and you get chatting to the group and my brother agreed that he has tried that tactic before!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'd prefer a big hulk of a guy tbh.

My OH is tall and working on the getting muscly bit - but he's well built, wouldn't have him any other way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

liah wrote: »

I'm with Liah on this one. I'm intimidated by aggressive men of any size, not by size alone.

Giselle wrote: »
    I'm with Liah on this one. I'm intimidated by aggressive men of any size, not by size alone.
    I dont think I mentioned agressive, just motor mouth.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, don't think they were suggesting you were aggressive:p
    Think they were just saying that it wouldn't be size that would intimidate them but aggressive men.

What I mean is, a guy being big doesn't intimidate me, a guy being aggressive does. I'm not referring to you or your friend personally with that.

If a guy is aggressive it puts me off, no matter how small he is, and if a guy is nice I don't care how big he is, even though I'm tiny myself.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

I don't think it intimidates girls at all. It sounds like you're more chatty/outgoing than him so you may be easier to approach if he comes accross as shy, your heights might not come into it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Nope i would assume they think he is taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

It's not that I'd be intimidated by a tall,muscular man. I would either presume that he was taken or think he was 'out of my league' if he didnt do the approaching and show he was interested.

Pics or gtfo :p had to be said :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its the shyness, he may actually come across as standoffish instead. There may be a bit of the hes so good looking that hes not going to be interested in me. Incidentally does your mate wear tight tshirts, i always find them, a turn off in miscular men

caseyann wrote: »

In fairness, I don't think it did.

Giselle wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think it did.

It was a joke :rolleyes:

I wouldnt be a mate then.

• Advertisement

Nope i would assume they think he is taken.

Yeah I would say the same, if a guy is non talkative / non flirty I would assume he is taken, or standoffish cos he feels he is out of my league!!! I don't assume anyone is out of my league until I talk to someone!!!

Lux23 wrote: »
    Its the shyness, he may actually come across as standoffish instead. There may be a bit of the hes so good looking that hes not going to be interested in me. Incidentally does your mate wear tight tshirts, i always find them, a turn off in miscular men
    Yeah usually a tight t shirt especially now it's summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I've a good mate, he's a little shy, about 6"3 and all muscle, we're always out together and I always seem to pull more than he does. We both notice girls looking at him etc but their either too scared/intimidated to go and chat to him whereas I'm 5 foot nothing with a big mouth and I often get approached.

Would his dominance put girls off?

personally im not into tall and muscular men it normally screams vain and im not into vanity, a sense of humour and cheeky grin with a little fat around the edges do it every time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

No, I wouldn't be intimidated by a tall guy at all. My brother is 6'5" or 6'6" so I suppose I am used to being around taller people. I am intimidated by loud guys more than anything, arrogant types, regardless of height.

Yeah usually a tight t shirt especially now it's summer.
    See thats his problem right there.:D

Tell him to get into something that isin't as tight as what we girls are wearing!

Has he Polish blood? No other excuse for the tight t-shirts and muscles;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Not intimidated but as I always liked tall men I often would have though they were out of my league, dont know why as Im not small myself but still. My hubbies is around 5'11 so tallish but coming from a tall family, with a brother of 6'4 I can see how sometimes people are intimidated by taller people.

I wouldnt be a mate then.

Nah ofc not i was joking :)
    Yeah I would say the same, if a guy is non talkative / non flirty I would assume he is taken, or standoffish cos he feels he is out of my league!!! I don't assume anyone is out of my league until I talk to someone!!!

I agree if he is like that i would be thinking taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Only from what I've observed, women who are attracted to big beefcake guys (as opposed to guys who are quite physically fit and have a bit of lean muscle definition) are in a minority (despite what Cosmo would have one believe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

2 please Bob :)

• Advertisement

Personally, pic 2 is too beefcake for me. I'm not into the body beautiful thing - I admire perfectly buff guys the way I'd admire a woman. Once a guy isn't too flabtastic (small bit of flab is grand) all good. Muscle definition (and not too much) is a bonus. Average build in other words.

rebel10 wrote: »
    See thats his problem right there.:D

Tell him to get into something that isin't as tight as what we girls are wearing!

Has he Polish blood? No other excuse for the tight t-shirts and muscles;)
    No, he plays rugby.

No, he plays rugby.

Can I have his number :p

The tight shirts unless rubgy jersyes are a bit Polish alright!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

Most of the men I've dated in the past have been over 6 ft, so tall and well-built is definately attractive. But just how muscly a man is can affect attraction. If someone is very good-looking and looks like they spend a little too much time in the gym then it's prob a turn off for me.

Not that fitness is a turn off, cos I'm a big fan of the gym and exercise in general, but I'd prob stereotype a man like that (wrong, I know!) and assume he would only be interested in a certain kind of woman, with a certain 'look'.

In saying that, I'm attracted to a lot of different kinds of men, but they have to have height, as in be a good bit taller than me (5 ft 8).

Yeah, tall is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm not anyway.

I don't really like muscles anyway. Apparently my "type" is tall skinny guys, or so I've been told.

• Advertisement

To be honest if he is a nice guy looks don't matter nor do muscles and personality is what you fall in love with.
    Tell him he needs to be a bit more open and if he likes someone just head over to her and talk.The rest is about personality.:)

Can I have his number :p

The tight shirts unless rubgy jersyes are a bit Polish alright!!!!

I disagree it is very much and fashion thing.
    Know plenty of polish who couldn't carry off a tight top.And good few Irish who can.
    I also think it has something to do with army guys from Poland Latvia etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I don't know, i'm about 6 4 and big enough, back when i was fit i was told by one of my best female friends that i was "too confident" for a girl to approach, I asked if she meant I was arrogant, and she said no, too confident, that girls wouldn't think I would need them or somesuch. Tbh, it didn't make much sense at the time, still doesn't to me, but perhaps it'll mean something to a woman? She compared me to a similar mate of ours (nice guy too) and said he had the same "vibe" (she mightn't have used the word vibe but that type of situation).

So, does your mate give off the same impression? It's a curse i tells you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

I wouldn't be intimidated by tall guys at all and I'm only 5"2.

We all know that personality is the most important thing but the initial attraction is generally based on looks. TBH the whole tight t-shirt thing would really put me off. I quite like muscular guys, my oh is tall and muscular, but the tight t-shirt just screams vanity to me, it's like they have to show off they're muscles at every opportunity.

I think a nice well fitted shirt would look a lot better and smarter. + he needs to try too be more outgoing because personality is really the clincher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I wouldn't be intimidated by tall guys but I would think they were out of my league but guys of 6'4" and over can make me feel faint :eek: (in a good way)! I'm 5'5" size 10 and wouldn't think a tall guy would be into me because I'm smallish and curvy and tall guys can have skinny 5'10 size 6 supermodel types and still be taller than them :mad:. I'd probably find it easier to talk to the short chubby guy because he's more in my league but the tall guys make me swoon every time.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter about height (we're all the same height lying down as one short guy said to me :D) and I've dated guys ranging from a slim 5'4" to a big rugby 6'3".

I'd say the shirt is your friend's problem and not the height. A well fitted shirt on a tall guy is irresistible with one or two (no more or you'll look like Tom Jones :eek:) buttons undone - tuck it into the trousers please!

I think shyness in a tall guy can be a bigger disadvantage than for a short guy - everyone expects tall guys to be full of confidence because they have so much going for them heightwise and if they've a good body as well they should have no reason for being shy but that's not always the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm 6ft4 myself and my younger brother is an inch taller. We usually go out drinking together and are both broad build, not fat, muscly, just stocky. We've been approached at the end of the night a couple of times by women (after they've had a few) who didn't want to come up to us earlier because they thought we were intimidating.

I certainly don't go out of my way to look intimidating but I have been told by a fair few smaller women in work and in public that they find me intimidating and therefore unapproachable :confused:

Its a bit annoying because I'm attracted to smaller petite women :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

KTRIC wrote: »
    Its a bit annoying because I'm attracted to smaller petite women :(

Thats one of the reasons I don't usually don't approach tall men,not because I find them intimidating but as a 6'1 women they usually aren't that interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

panda100 wrote: »
    Thats one of the reasons I don't usually don't approach tall men,not because I find them intimidating but as a 6'1 women they usually aren't that interested.

Most tall men I know go for tall women which seems reasonable enough. The ones who go for small women are in the minority.

Panda, be grateful you don't have to wear horrible heels when you're out to get yourself heard at the bar! I'd love to be tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

No, I only would feel intimidated by a man with an agressive attitude to be honest. I grew up around tall men, and definitely have prefrence for them. :D

Personally I would love to find a rugby playing 6'4 male, *cough* pm me his number *cough*!!;).

His lack of "pulling" I'd say is down to his attitude, if he's shy, girls may think he's not interested/taken. And of course some girls who find him a bit of a hunk, maybe too shy to approach him or feel he's out of their league. And I agree with emme, A fitted shirt makes tall man irresistible! ;)

And instead of telling him to learn to train his mouth, perhaps show him this thread. It may give him a confidence boost he needs to flirt a little more.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Would you do this frequently? Or in front of other people? If so bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I think this thread is quiet funny... it sounds like tall muscular guys have the same problems really hot girls have. Only over confident girls approach them and the rest think they are out of their league.

Can I ask why alot of girls on here are saying they "presume a tall/muscular guy would be taken" and why some say they'd think the guy is "outta their league"?

Are these kinda guys more of a catch?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Would you do this frequently? Or in front of other people? If so bravo.
    I said it to him on his own messing, I wouldn't deliberatly try knock his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭McCruiskeen

I'm 6ft 4 and muscly and rarely get approached by girls. I'm pretty sure that's because I'm butt ugly though:p

Whenever I do, I can never hear what they are saying anyway if we're in a club or pub, cos they are usually a foot down below me anyway.

Sigh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Are these kinda guys more of a catch?

Well it depends on the girl, some have types and this is just one example of a type. Just like some guys may be attracted to asian girls/blondes/short girls/busty girls.

In a group of girls some may go for his type, while for others they'd go for you or one of your other friends.

I have a prefrence for tall men, and I know amongst my friends, they like tallness in men, but it's not a deal-breaker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement