Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Girls intimidated by Tall Muscular men?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Can I ask why alot of girls on here are saying they "presume a tall/muscular guy would be taken" and why some say they'd think the guy is "outta their league"?

Are these kinda guys more of a catch?
    No you are a catch who ever you are so long as decent good person.
    A woman who fancies him though would assume he was taken as women always imagine the guy they fancy is.Especially if he isnt showing an interest or making an approach to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Can I ask why alot of girls on here are saying they "presume a tall/muscular guy would be taken" and why some say they'd think the guy is "outta their league"?

Are these kinda guys more of a catch?

Obviously they are for girls who like tall men but if a tall guy isn't a nice person then he isn't a catch. Tall guys can appear more confident even if they're dying inside, so women might think they're aloof and not interested when in reality they're very shy. This might lead us to assume they're taken.

One tall guy told me that guys of short and average height can be really nasty to taller guys. His experience was that shorter guys sometimes pick fights with tall guys, try to sabotage their chances with women and try to poach women off them. Maybe he was looking for sympathy - he got it! :D

I suppose guys are the same as girls - "normal" girls often try to sabotage really hot girls as well! Maybe height for men = hotness for women.

McCruiskeen, your height is a real advantage. Next time you're in a pub or club and you can't hear what a girl you like is saying say to her "It's a bit loud in here, will we go somewhere to sit down/somewhere a bit quieter?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Emme wrote: »
    One tall guy told me that guys of short and average height can be really nasty to taller guys. His experience was that shorter guys sometimes pick fights with tall guys, try to sabotage their chances with women and try to poach women off them. Maybe he was looking for sympathy - he got it! :D

They are not defined as being short, they are what I would define as a fcuking freak. They come in all shapes, sizes, genders and colours. :) I think you're right when you said that guy was trying to play the sympathy card, seems like he was trying to demonise short people in general.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    They are not defined as being short, they are what I would define as a fcuking freak. They come in all shapes, sizes, genders and colours. :) I think you're right when you said that guy was trying to play the sympathy card, seems like he was trying to demonise short people in general.

I hope not. It was a few years ago anyway and he was 6'5". He only got sympathy from me for one night! He told me had been bullied something rotten in school for being tall and that drunk guys tried to pick fights with him. Maybe he had a complex about his height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Some short guys have real issues with their height, I do get a bit of grief off short guys now and again, but usually it's easy enough to laugh it off. That being said, one short guy did cockblock me from an incredibly hot girl before, he even admitted it afterwards, lost most of my respect for him over it. He's a weirdo though.

Yeah, short people, evil, useless etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

So is anyone else intimidated by a guy of his size?

I slag him off and tell him he should try build up his mouth in the gym!!

No I wouldn´t. he totally sounds like my kind of guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

I'm 6' 6 .I get regularly approached by girls. Tall and short alike. I'm no Cristian ronaldo and I know that. I'm also crap at soccer. :)

I'm probably biased here but I have to say without a shadow of a doubt that every tall girl I've ever seen were unbelievably stunning.

I don't buy into the way of thinking that if you're shy you wont meet women, cause I'm pretty introverted and it has never stopped me .

I'm also much better at communicating with women when I'm actually sober and when I'm actually in a normal environment like a shop etc.

I also have found that its quite easy to get talking to girls,just pick your targets carefully . I have a pretty wild imagination and I'm very creative when I'm chatting to girls .

I see many guys agonise over what to say ,to find the perfect line , amusing so that the beautiful girl in front of him will fall in love with him straight away.

Well it really doesn't work that way ,so justvgo up and say anything. If youre getting nervous youre attaching way too much importance to your approach.

If he sees a girl he likes, get your friend to say something because if I girl is really interested you really have to mess up bad to blow the interaction.

I've lost count of how many times I've started conversations with girls at the counter of a pub.Its a great starting point.

I see guys like your friend there in the pub ,they all look tanned and buff and like pop stars but no girls are approaching them ,why ? ,because theyre not smiling maybe even looking at their iphone.Their body language is all wrong, too intense looking .Smiling makes you a 1000 times more interesting to a girl.

I wouldn't annoy your friend over it ,the chances are he's kind of aware of his situation and its bothering him so the best thing is you can give him your support.Just say to him see those girls over there were going to talk to them youre going first.I would recommend going to the temple bar as its usually full of tourists and theyre pretty open to people chatting to them.

And BTW I would like to be at oxyegen , poo !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

BumbleB wrote: »
    I see guys like your friend there in the pub ,they all look tanned and buff and like pop stars but no girls are approaching them ,why ? ,because theyre not smiling maybe even looking at their iphone.Their body language is all wrong, too intense looking .Smiling makes you a 1000 times more interesting to a girl.

This is it! If a guy looks bored or boring, a girl will not be attracted to him at all. If he's standing there having a laugh with his mates or gives you a smile, you notice them, you want to look more and you're gonna smile back or go over and join in on the fun.

I'm not intimidated by tall guys as I'm quite tall myself but if I saw a guy how BumbleB describes in his post I wouldn't give him a second look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

yes sometimes.

• Advertisement

I'm 6' 6 .I get regularly approached by girls. Tall and short alike. I'm no Cristian ronaldo and I know that. I'm also crap at soccer. :)

I'm probably biased here but I have to say without a shadow of a doubt that every tall girl I've ever seen were unbelievably stunning.

That's because you can see them properly on account of them being closer to your godly 6'6" loftiness. Us little uns (I'm 5'5) aren't bad either but as I said earlier, tall guys like you are out of our league. Thanks for confirming it.:p

I have to say that a disproportionate number of the short men I've met are unbelievably confident and always seem to pull girls way out of their league!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Interesting thread. I'm a reasonably muscular tall guy, around the six foot mark. I workout about three times a week, and have gotten a good body from it. Hence I like to wear tight tshirts to show off what I have. Not in a vain sense, but being proud of what I have worked hard to achieve.

I do find it quite a double standard that girls in this thread seem to think it's ok for girls to wear tight clothing, but not guys. I don't see the difference between a girl showing off her cleavage, and me showing off my arms, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

I do find it quite a double standard that girls in this thread seem to think it's ok for girls to wear tight clothing, but not guys. I don't see the difference between a girl showing off her cleavage, and me showing off my arms, for example.

I kind of agree and kind of don't. Like where do you draw the line? The vast majority of women wear make-up and some put on fake tan to "appear" better looking than they are. The minority of men do -and rightfully so!
    I guess women think men wearing tight clothes is a sign of vanity?

Interesting thread. I'm a reasonably muscular tall guy, around the six foot mark. I workout about three times a week, and have gotten a good body from it. Hence I like to wear tight tshirts to show off what I have. Not in a vain sense, but being proud of what I have worked hard to achieve.

There isn't any difference but guys are more visual than girls - men would find a woman showing her cleavage more attractive than a man who went around flexing his biceps. I'm not being horrible, but a heavily muscled man in a tight t-shirt might appeal to a gay man more than a straight woman. Men and women find different things attractive.

Having said that, I was running on the treadmill in the gym last week and found it hard to concentrate because a very tall nicely muscled guy in a tight white t-shirt was doing weights behind me and I could see him reflected in the mirror! Even so, on a night out I would find him more attractive in a nice fitted shirt than in his tight gym t-shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I kind of agree and kind of don't. Like where do you draw the line? The vast majority of women wear make-up and some put on fake tan to "appear" better looking than they are. The minority of men do -and rightfully so!
    I guess women think men wearing tight clothes is a sign of vanity?

Seems so!! And I don't believe it to be true. Of course there are some guys out there with their heads up their arses but in my own case, it's confidence, not arrogance. It's just not nice to think I've probably been written off on sight by girls due to being in good shape and dressing to show it off.

Personally I've a much bigger problem with out-of-shape people (guys AND girls) who wear clothing that is much too tight for their body shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Spongy Cabbage

Never felt intimidated by muscular men, but tall men have that whole towering down over you thing that can make ya feel uncomfortable. then again i like tall men!

• Advertisement

I have to say that a disproportionate number of the short men I've met are unbelievably confident and always seem to pull girls way out of their league!:D

Godly LOL ,:D Thats a real realisation, out of someones league , weird :p.

I mean me saying that every tall girl I've ever seen are amazing looking that was merely a statement that I believe to be true.Anytime I see one I have to do a double take.I also get on really well with taller people.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

There isn't any difference but guys are more visual than girls - men would find a woman showing her cleavage more attractive than a man who went around flexing his biceps. I'm not being horrible, but a heavily muscled man in a tight t-shirt might appeal to a gay man more than a straight woman. Men and women find different things attractive.

Having said that, I was running on the treadmill in the gym last week and found it hard to concentrate because a very tall nicely muscled guy in a tight white t-shirt was doing weights behind me and I could see him reflected in the mirror! Even so, on a night out I would find him more attractive in a nice fitted shirt than in his tight gym t-shirt.
    There isn't any difference but guys are more visual than girls
    Am I the only one who doesn't believe this? It's women who spend hours on their visual appearance and apparently they do it for themselves and not for men. They are also way more conscious when it comes to aesthetics of things they buy for example a pretty car like a 206 over a good car or paying over the odds for a sh1t phone because it's pink where as a man would be more interested in the specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I'll admit i used to wear tight t-shirts and still do sometimes. When you start going to the gym and you work hard you feel proud of your body and want to show it off a bit.
    My best friend used to slag me all the time about wearing tight t-shirts but recently he has started working out more and i've notice his t-shirts have gotten a lot tighter :)

I find when i'm going through my millions of t-shirts now for a night out i skip over the tight ones. It's mainly because i'm aware that some girls might think i'm an idiot that's full of themselves and i'm far from it..i'm an idiot who isn't full of themselves. And i want to attract girls that like my personality and nerdiness rather than my fantastic amazing body*

*may not actually exist and is subject to change without notice

I'll admit i used to wear tight t-shirts and still do sometimes. When you start going to the gym and you work hard you feel proud of your body and want to show it off a bit.
    My best friend used to slag me all the time about wearing tight t-shirts but recently he has started working out more and i've notice his t-shirts have gotten a lot tighter :)

I find when i'm going true my millions of t-shirts now for a night out i skip over the tight ones. It's mainly because i'm aware that some girls might think i'm an idiot that's full of themselves and i'm far from it..i'm an idiot who isn't full of themselves. And i want to attract girls that like my personality and nerdiness rather than my fantastic amazing body*

*may not actually exist and is subject to change without notice

No matter what you wear youll always look in good shape this is because your posture will be improved and your trapezius will be more prominent .

I personally think tight shirts is an overkill really ,but when you hit the free weights youll just find that your shirts become tight anyway and your body is always sore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Jaysus lads, don't let anyone put you off wearing whatever t-shirts you like.

People will nearly always have an opinion on what other people wear, my dad thinks women wearing jeans is an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE and we used to get the 'would you not wear a nice dress?!' speech every sunday! He's better now though.

Some men dislike girls who dress a certain way, some girls dislike men who dress a certain way, I think it's a pretty good filter really.... someone who doesn't like the way you dress is probably going to be someone you're not going to hit it off with on other things as well. Not worth bothering your head with. For every person that doesn't like it, you can be guaranteed there's one person who will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Is he dark as well??

Tall, dark, handsome and plays rugby and single.

Its got to be too good to be true.

Yeah, sometimes women percieve standoffishishness and shyness in a goodlooking guy as being cocky or not interested. Shur get him on here, Ill give him a few tips ;););)

Godly LOL ,:D Thats a real realisation, out of someones league , weird :p.

I mean me saying that every tall girl I've ever seen are amazing looking that was merely a statement that I believe to be true.Anytime I see one I have to do a double take.I also get on really well with taller people.:)

You mean non-Lilliputians?:p What is the minimum height for a person who is worthy of your attention? You could set up a colony for tall people where all the women are gorgeous and you get on with everyone. No short people to bother you!

Back on topic, I'm not intimidated by tall muscular guys (just annoyed because they're out of my league:mad:) because in my experience short guys are much, much more aggressive. In my opinion short people are more aggressive than tall people (I'm short :D) because we have to fight harder for recognition and have to shout louder to get ourselves seen and heard. So be afraid of the short guy, be very afraid!:eek:

Short women also have a much higher pain threshold than most people from wearing high heels all the time.;)

You mean non-Lilliputians?:p What is the minimum height for a person who is worthy of your attention? You could set up a colony for tall people where all the women are gorgeous and you get on with everyone. No short people to bother you!

Back on topic, I'm not intimidated by tall muscular guys (just annoyed because they're out of my league:mad:.

That first quote is really funny Emme :) , afraid you're reading a little into it ,just a preference really and yes ,I do not ignore girls based on their height.

I went out with a an american half korean/Irish girl for ages and she was short but an amazing girl ?.

All I'm just saying when I'm talking to either a tall guy or girl its like I am among my own really ,weird......

I don't think anybody is out of youre league, that seems to be something manufactured in you're head ,if youre attracted to a tall guy go up and say something but for heavens sake not "youre very tall" ,its the worst line ever because it can really go nowhere and most guys are too polite to respond with the most obvious response.

but,is this not amazing ?.

http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/showimage.asp?title=Goorin+Mario+Pinstripe+Stingy+Brim+Trilby&pf_id=123605&image=http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk//images/products/large/123605_4.jpg

I don't think anybody is out of youre league, that seems to be something manufactured in you're head ,if youre attracted to a tall guy go up and say something but for heavens sake not "youre very tall" ,its the worst line ever because it can really go nowhere and most guys are too polite to respond with the most obvious response.

I have never gone up to a tall guy and said "you're tall" or a small guy either and said "you're small". That's called stating the bleedin' obvious!:rolleyes:

As I get more into my late 30s I notice that the ratio of eligible tall guys:eligible shorter guys is changing - the older I get the more short guys are single as opposed to tall guys. I wonder how it is with women - do tall women get snapped up quickly as well?

Nice shoes:D

I wonder how it is with women - do tall women get snapped up quickly as well?

I don't think height matters as much to guys. I suppose i prefer girls shorter than me . I'm about 5'10 or 11 and although i might find some tall girls very attractive i doubt very much they'd be in to me if i was shorter than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

im 5'10

and wear heels when im out.. (wen i want to anyway!)

so id be bout.. 6' - 6'1?

very rarely does anyone chat me up :(

sure guys know im actually not THAT tall and realise i have heels on?

shakencat wrote: »
    im 5'10

I can't understand why tall girls say they don't get chatted up - whenever I'm out tall girls seem to get chatted up as much as anyone else. I don't go to any particular place, but tall girls definitely get chatted up everywhere. I have never heard a guy say "I won't talk to her, she's too tall". An ex had a 6'4" friend who used to seek tall girls out all the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I really don't understand people saying tall men are more attracted to tall women! I'm 5'5 and not one of my exs was shorter than 6'1. I'm rarely attracted to men less than 6', and I've never found that they weren't interested in me because of my height. I'm not even particularly petite either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

well, i still seek the legend of male you speak of. I am surrounded by short bottles of milk at 5".

Are the legends true?

im 5'10

I can't understand why tall girls say they don't get chatted up - whenever I'm out tall girls seem to get chatted up as much as anyone else. I don't go to any particular place, but tall girls definitely get chatted up everywhere. I have never heard a guy say "I won't talk to her, she's too tall". An ex had a 6'4" friend who used to seek tall girls out all the time.

Well i'm average height for a guy and i wouldn't approach a girl who is taller then me when i'm out unless i know for sure she's interested. Because i think
    Most girls want a guy thats taller than them when they are wearing heels.

Your 6'4 friend is the exception. I don't think there is an army of tall men on a night out looking for tall girls. I think the rule for most guys is they will go for any girl they like if she isn't taller then them. The exceptions being the aggressive short guys and Tom Cruise..who may or may not be aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

im 6'4", my ex girlfriend was just over 5ft which was kinda awkward! on a night out id be only delighted to wander around talking to any girl short or tall who would listen to me:D dont think ive ever encountered any girl who told me that i was too tall. i have often seen girls who are over 6ft with heels in a nightclub that arent being chatted up by any guys so id imagine that most average sized lads would be intimidated by a taller woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Faith wrote: »
    I really don't understand people saying tall men are more attracted to tall women! I'm 5'5 and not one of my exs was shorter than 6'1. I'm rarely attracted to men less than 6', and I've never found that they weren't interested in me because of my height. I'm not even particularly petite either.

short women are more attractive in my book, and i'm 6'1. one of my exes was 5'10-5'11ish and she wore heels out and i was barely taller than her... i didn't like it! i don't get why girls wear heels to be taller... especially when they're already extremely tall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

im 5'10

Same here. I'm taller than almost everybody when I'm out. I think it does intimidate some people. it's good though cos it's easy to find your friends :pac:

Parsley wrote: »
    short women are more attractive in my book, and i'm 6'1. one of my exes was 5'10-5'11ish and she wore heels out and i was barely taller than her... i didn't like it! i don't get why girls wear heels to be taller... especially when they're already extremely tall!

heels make you feel good about yourself,
    make your legs look nicer..

and why shouldnt tall people wear heels..
    why should they just opt for flats just because they are tall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

No, they look and eye him up, almost like window shopping. He's fine if the girl chats to him first.

To me that means he's shy!

I'm 5'5 in flats, 5'7ish in heels! Guys shorter than me in flats always approach me!

I love a tall man! Always have!

I'm 5'11 and over 15 stone, wouldn't be too chubby but would be carrying a little bit of flab, I'd be stocky enough, I've been asked a few times in clubs and stuff am I am steroids or creatine by dudes that presumably are trying to bulk up a bit :( only fat birds or occassinally gay dudes chat me up :( , 'tis awful, only 2 or 3 good looking women have ever chatted me up, they were savage though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A tall man thread?

/checks height

6' 6"

/subscribes to thread. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

heels make you feel good about yourself,
    make your legs look nicer..

and why shouldnt tall people wear heels..
    why should they just opt for flats just because they are tall

+1

Theres not much choice when it comes to flat shoes.I was in New Look yesterday and there was about 5 pairs of shoes which had no heel,and they were all ugly.
    Most of the pretty shoe's that you would want to wear have heel's.

also..

what i meant to add in..

no, im not intimidated by tall muscular men,

Come my way please :)

hahaha,
    il admit though..
    if i see em out with a shorter lad,
    i prob would chat to the shorter one..
    just to like..

get in with the taller one.. haha cause id be afraid of being shot down straight away!

• Advertisement

also..

what i meant to add in..

hahaha,
    il admit though..
    just to like..

get in with the taller one.. haha cause id be afraid of being shot down straight away!

I never talk to one guy to get in with another, that's cheating and you might be raising somebody's hopes unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ep71

also..

what i meant to add in..

hahaha,
    il admit though..
    just to like..

on my way:D

I never talk to one guy to get in with another, that's cheating and you might be raising somebody's hopes unnecessarily.

cheating?

and id be talking,
    not chatting them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

So is muscular good or bad then?
    Better to be muscular or not?

I'm fairly tall, 6"2, but I have no real preference for tall or short women. Good things come in small packages as someone I know keeps reminding me.

cheating?

and id be talking,
    not chatting them up.

Fair enough. However, I don't know if it's just me, but I think it's a bit unfair to start chatting to one guy when it's actually his mate you really want to talk to. Why not just talk to his mate from the start?

I've had guys do that to me, they'd come over and start talking to me to get talking to my friend. If you want to talk to a particular person in a group talk to them and don't use their mates as a back door to get to them!

cause i dont have the balls to.

literally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

smashey wrote: »
    A tall man thread?

/checks height

6' 6"

How you doin'?
    :p

cheating?

and id be talking,
    not chatting them up.

From a mans perspective , talking ,chatting up all the one.

(Oh, I think she likes me:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

smashey wrote: »
    A tall man thread?

/checks height

6' 6"

Hmmm.... taller than smashey but not muscular :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Faith wrote: »
    How you doin'?
    :p

/me taps the charter.

I have to say I never really had a preference in height - I've gone out with a range of heights. That said, I'm 4'10 so if I ever want my kids to have a chance at being a normal height, he'll have to be tall.

I've found as well most taller men wouldn't be interested, several have said that it's because 'We'd look ridiculous' :(

But people's height would not intimidate me at all. Unless there's a crowd of them and I'm afraid they'll get spooked and stampede or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Silverfish I always expected you to be really tall and scary :o my bad :o

The cheek of men to say you would look ridiculous :mad: Height is the same as age! It shouldn't matter to anyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement