Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Girls intimidated by Tall Muscular men?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've a friend who's legit 7 feet tall, about 24stone, and his gf is little more than 5'2" at a push. They've just bought their first house... guess height ain't that much of a buzz-killer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

giz another few weeks and il tell ya!!!!

yehhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm five foot four (and a quarter! :P) and personally I just can't imagine being with a fella of my own height or shorter.

It's not that I think there's anything wrong with it! But any of my boyfriends (apart from in my early teens) have always been very broad and muscly, and around the six foot mark or taller. I'd just find it hard to get used to being with a short guy, when I'm so used to big tall guys.

Also, I have to admit, it's very attractive when a guy can effortlessly pick you up (except when it's to turn you upside-down in the middle of a crowded bowling alley when you're wearing a skirt, not so cool then! :mad:)

But yeah, as others have said, it's just a matter of personal preference.

I have to admit, I'm a bit uneasy with your suggestion of being "indimidated" by any man. Do you mean "intimidated" as in women assume, just because he's tall, that he's taken, and therefore don't even try? Or do you mean "intimidated" as in you think that women may be afraid of him physically attacking them? I would like to think that not many women generalise about taller men in either of those ways. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

shakencat wrote: »
    heels make you feel good about yourself,
    make your legs look nicer..

and why shouldnt tall people wear heels..
    why should they just opt for flats just because they are tall

i didn't say they shouldn't, just said i didn't get why women who are already tall wear shoes that, i thought, were used to make one look tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Silverfish wrote: »
    /me taps the charter.
    You killed my buzz. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I'm 6'2 and I rarely ever meet a girl who is taller than me, I wouldn't mind being with someone taller than me, mostly with shorter girls. I recently was saw a girl who was taller than me and she was pretty hot, got chatting to her and she said that people comment on her height a lot and it scares some guys away. Too bad she had a bf :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chanusi

Generally speaking ,if a guy is being social and chatty ,he will get approached ,in my experience at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I'm 6'4 not particularly muscular though and inevitably any of my past girlfriends have been shorter. Personally I wouldn't be bothered as to anyones height and am now wondering reading the thread if there is something in the intimidation theory. It can be hard to hear someone in a busy spot with the height differences and am always conscious of looking down on people. OP may have something in his theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Murraya

I'm 19, 6ft 8 and about 16 stone. I can safely say that you get a lot of girls coming up to you asking "how tall are you?" or saying "omg, you are so tall!"..

A bit of advice, if you say that to a tall guy, 90% of the time he is going to think you are an idiot and show no interest. Or he'll feel that he's just a source of novelty entertainment to you and you aren't showing a genuine interest in him.

I am not over confident, nor built like a tank, but I don't find it hard to talk to women because I am just so used to it. Well not mentally difficult anyway.
    Physically difficult maybe because in a busy night club or pub its hard to get your voice down a foot to the girl you are trying to chat up :)
    So give us tall guys a break, we're not being aggressive or shouting at you, we just want to make sure you can hear how witty and interesting we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

i dont think so tbh, I think everyone has a type they go for.
    My bf is 6'5 and fairly muscular, not as much as he used to be before we met but hes working on it:D. Tbh i know it sounds stupid but have to admitt on a night out i feel alot safer with him about, guess its cause i have in my head no one would bother trying to start something when hes around:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Murraya wrote: »
    I'm 19, 6ft 8 and about 16 stone. I can safely say that you get a lot of girls coming up to you asking "how tall are you?" or saying "omg, you are so tall!"..

A bit of advice, if you say that to a tall guy, 90% of the time he is going to think you are an idiot and show no interest. Or he'll feel that he's just a source of novelty entertainment to you and you aren't showing a genuine interest in him.
    Not to knock your point of view because it is your own .I'm 6'6 and I would have a totally different view of that altogether. I wouldn't call a women an idiot because of that . In retrospect I would agree its a really bad chat up line as it can go nowhere really.It happens quite a lot and its really a no goer because there's no way to move forward in the interaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

plasmaguy wrote: »
    So is muscular good or bad then?
    Better to be muscular or not?

To me muscles don't really matter but not creepy body builder type nor scrawny, tiny, unhealthy type. i.e. not the extremes.

Height matters more to me. Prefer my guys taller cause they are nicer to hug :D over 6ft, preferably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

plasmaguy wrote: »
    So is muscular good or bad then?
    Better to be muscular or not?

I'm fairly tall, 6"2, but I have no real preference for tall or short women. Good things come in small packages as someone I know keeps reminding me.

Your mother your granny or your gf? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

I yearn for the day I meet a tall muscular man.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Parsley wrote: »
    short women are more attractive in my book, and i'm 6'1. one of my exes was 5'10-5'11ish and she wore heels out and i was barely taller than her... i didn't like it! i don't get why girls wear heels to be taller... especially when they're already extremely tall!

At 5'7 I reckon im tall enough without heels, so I don't wear them. Im also more comfortable in flats and when im comfortable it shows, I also dont need them for asthetics either afaic! Im also not intimidated by tall or aggressive guys, I like tall guys sure but height is never really going to be a deal breaker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I wouldn't say I'm very muscular but I am quite tall (6'5"). I've been told before by a girl that my height was intimidating to her. It made me feel a bit bad but obviously it's not intentional and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm happy with my height but I could see where she was coming from as I was easily a foot taller than her.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

No, not in the slightest. I don't understand why a person would be feel intimidated by someone just because of their height. If they're a tall raving pyscho then ok, but not just because they're tall. My own personal preference would be for tall men, preferably leaner. Freud might say it's something to do with my own Daddy being about 6ft 3 and a skinny wretch. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't mind how tall a guy is as long as he's a good few inches taller than me (5"5) and has that lovely triangular look, narrow hips, broad-shouldered thing going on. I wouldn't be a fan of overly bulky muscular men but the leaner muscular look I could drool over all day. :p

My cousin is a very petite, barely five foot and her husband is a 6"7 rugby player, my other cousin is 6"5 and also has a very tiny wife and my brother-in-law is 6"3...so never thought of tall men/big guys as being odd or intimidating. :cool:

Advertisement