Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nouns - Verbs - Terms: for Shooters

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mortar wont go Five miles:rolleyes:

Depends on the mortar.
    intro632.jpg

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

patsat wrote: »
    And the star is a great newspaper! for passing a half an hour at work!:D:D

Thanks for the Headsup! Almost forgot to put toilet paper on me shopping list!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

What about collective nouns?

You could have a trap of shotgunners or a clip of rifle shooters.

A compression of airgunners

A magazine of pistol shooters

A detail of target shooters

A table of benchrest shooters

A recoil of fullbore shooters

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Sparks wrote: »
    Works for me. The navy and artillery lads disagree, but I can live with that :D
    Firearm, gun, shotgun, airgun, air rifle, air pistol, rifle, pistol - those are all perfectly fine and frankly, far more accurate terms anyway.

Only one of my firearms is a gun, my rifles are rifles, my sa pistol is a pistol, the shottie is a gun. Even as a young lad it was instilled into me that my air rifle was a rifle because it had a rifled barrel. I've had a Gem .25 air gun that was smooth bore. Precision in language is important, without it the ignorant will assume everything is the same and the educated will just be confused.

My pet hate is calling semi-auto or self-loading firearms automatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I agree with you about precision in language, but...
    Only one of my firearms is a gun, my rifles are rifles, my sa pistol is a pistol, the shottie is a gun...

You know your pistol barrel is rifled too though, right? (assuming it was made sometime in recent history). As are the barrels of artillery and tank guns. But we don't call them rifles :)
    My pet hate is calling semi-auto or self-loading firearms automatics.

I think historically the term "automatic" has always included semi-autos, for example think of the "ACP" in ".45 ACP" which stands for "automatic colt pistol" (and the gun designed to fire it was called the "Government Automatic")

A lot of our terms just have to be taken in context, there's no other way!

Even terms like "self loader" or "autoloader" don't really distinguish them - a revolver reloads itself - automatically, in a manner of speaking - but we don't generally call it by those names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

You know your pistol barrel is rifled too though, right? (assuming it was made sometime in recent history). As are the barrels of artillery and tank guns. But we don't call them rifles

All v true - But I've always understood that the definition of a "rifle" was also related to the long-gun and "shoulder-shooting" aspect of it too: the OED online has the rifle defined as "a gun, especially one fired from shoulder level, having a long spirally grooved barrel etc.". So whilst pistol, artillery, etc. barrels may be rifled, the actually gun is never referred to as a rifle. They're all guns though AFAIK.;)

Although, it would be interesting to try to license one of the new Glock 17 9mm Hand-rifles:D:D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    All v true - But I've always understood that the definition of a "rifle" was also related to the long-gun and "shoulder-shooting" aspect of it too: the OED online has the rifle defined as "a gun, especially one fired from shoulder level, having a long spirally grooved barrel etc.". So whilst pistol, artillery, etc. barrels may be rifled, the actually gun is never referred to as a rifle. They're all guns though AFAIK.;)

Although, it would be interesting to try to license one of the new Glock 17 9mm Hand-rifles:D:D:rolleyes:

I fired the Bren Gun .303 and could be fired from the waist, not the shoulder unless lying down behind it.

A gun crew fires an artillery piece
    A rifle is TO ME some thing fired from the shoulder, is rifled, and can be carried over the shoulder and effective range is 100 metres or more

You know your pistol barrel is rifled too though, right? (assuming it was made sometime in recent history). As are the barrels of artillery and tank guns.

No current production tank that I can think of offhand has a rifle. They're all smoothbores now. The last of the big rifles was Challenger 2.

NTM

sikastag wrote: »
    Silencer.................:cool:
    You do realise that we all called them silencers until 1990? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

yep they were silencers cos thats what they did to a .22 with subs which is all most lads had in the 80s-90s
    i think they morphed into moderators with the advent of the relaxation of the centrefires after all you can't silence a supersonic bullet just moderate the bang

the one that annoys me is rooks being labelled crows :cool:

• Advertisement

landkeeper wrote: »
    yep they were silencers cos thats what they did to a .22 with subs which is all most lads had in the 80s-90s
    i think they morphed into moderators with the advent of the relaxation of the centrefires after all you can't silence a supersonic bullet just moderate the bang
    Nope, they morphed into moderators immediately after the new law came out because some 'clever' folks thought that it would get them past having to license them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Speaking of definitions and laws, an air gun is defined by Irish law as being either an air rifle or an air pistol, both of which have (obviously) rifled barrels...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

What about collective nouns?

How about these collective nouns?:

A Disagreement of Shooters
    A Jealousy of Target Shooters
    A Pedantry of Shooting Forum Posters/Mods
    A Webbing of Vintage Shooters
    A Backstop of Range Officers

Oh, I could go on and on and on and on........

:rolleyes::D

A Ban of Muppets? :D

A trolley Of Anti-hunter trolls.

Lord this thread has gone south!

A bit like the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

..... when someone talks about harvesting deer when they mean shooting, hunting or killing deer. Another annoying Americanism.

Unless it's like this:

combine2.jpg

:eek::eek:

Unless it's like this:

combine2.jpg

:eek::eek:

I have heard of that happen all right, a lot of deer in Midlands on corn fields.

A Cell [full?] of Animal Rights Terroists???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

It may seem trivial, however, once the cousin had to cart a deer back to the car and needed to use a public road to do so.

The setup was something like this, the deer was nicely wrapped up.
    s7_223606_imageset_01?$main-Large$

The next thing we see is Mom, kiddies, and stroller coming down the road for the morning walk. Oh deer, no pun intended.

I put a hat on the deer's head. Fortunately, it was not a gruesome scene. As we passed the kiddies I told them the deer was sick and we were taking it to the hospital, they were very happy, and their Mom started laughing. However, you could see her give us that - well played lads and thanks.

I've heard of worse - one lad I used to work with was out stalking, shot a deer, field dressed it and was carrying it over his shoulders over some brush when he walked into a family with two small children. At this point, he's covered in blood, with a gutted carcass on his back and carrying a rifle and all he could think of doing to keep the kids from seeing it and going nuts was to dive into the bushes.

Apparently the parents didn't think this was very normal behaviour :D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    I've heard of worse - one lad I used to work with was out stalking, shot a deer, field dressed it and was carrying it over his shoulders over some brush when he walked into a family with two small children. At this point, he's covered in blood, with a gutted carcass on his back and carrying a rifle and all he could think of doing to keep the kids from seeing it and going nuts was to dive into the bushes.

Apparently the parents didn't think this was very normal behaviour :D

Worst mistake ever, carry a deer over the shoulders.
    I got soaked to the underware carrying a small deer one evening.
    I still have the stain on my hunting jacket several years and washes later!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

rrpc wrote: »
    You do realise that we all called them silencers until 1990? :rolleyes:

Nope. Didnt know that. :o Thanks!

Worst mistake ever, carry a deer over the shoulders.
    I got soaked to the underware carrying a small deer one evening.
    I still have the stain on my hunting jacket several years and washes later!

Apart from that not wise from a saftey POV either.A few US hunters have been killed or injured by fellow hunters with "buck fever" who thought the deer was alive and well.Despite a Day glo red jacket under it!!
    Dumber things have happened.Lets try not to be part of an incident.:eek:

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Apart from that not wise from a saftey POV either.A few US hunters have been killed or injured by fellow hunters with "buck fever" who thought the deer was alive and well.Despite a Day glo red jacket under it!!
    Dumber things have happened.Lets try not to be part of an incident.:eek:

Oh where I was, ona frosty night winters evening there was only one idiot out :D So not to worry ;)

The blood did keep my back and kneck warm though.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

No current production tank that I can think of offhand has a rifle. They're all smoothbores now. The last of the big rifles was Challenger 2.

NTM

'....IS Challenger 2.' - it is still in service.

tac

tac foley wrote: »

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Here's another I like - glassing or glass'n.

Heard it on youTube. Appears to be used when you are searching a field using glass - optics - scope, bino's, or what not.

Not to be confused with the fine town of Glasson - Up West Meath!

Hm. Where I'm from, 'glassing' has a far less pleasant meaning...

tac foley wrote: »

tac

So is Centurion in some countries. I said 'current production', not 'service', CR2 is not being made, all orders have been completed, and it is no longer being marketed for sale.

NTM

• Advertisement
Advertisement