Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Broadband

Options
  • 07-07-2010 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

What in all of your opinions would be the best broadband provider in the Limerick area for surfing speeds. Hopefully with an unlimited cap on usage. Ive looked at a lot but they all seem to be trying to flog me extras which i dont want. Im using meteor mobile broadband at the moment and i have a great signal upstairs and it works downstairs whenever it feels like. Thanks

cheap cheap cheap lol:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Do you have cable in your area? I swtiched over to UPC for broadband a few feeks ago, pretty good so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

almost all providers no longer provide unlimited cap

Fair usage policies will kick in once you hit certain usages - e.g. Smart now have a FUP of 170GB (up and down) which can be reset for a fee or extended via a monthly cost.

Best BB provider will depend on your usage profile - jsut web surfing, downloading movies (legally of course), gaming etc..

You don't mention your location which would really determine your options. Clearly there is the DSL route with at a min Eircom, probably Vodafone and a few others. If your lucky enough you can probably switch to Smart or Magnet.
    Either of the latter would be my preference over the former 2.. I've heard so many horror stories about VF these days I would stay away for a while.

I'm on Smart here in Raheen, and it's been pretty decent, but since the digiweb takeover I've had lots of little incidents, and generally they're not keeping the packages competitive anymore :(

So just this Monday I had UPC installed. Is cheaper, and faster.
    The router that came with it (a cisco EPC2425) is a lump of crap, but I bypassed it to use my old BB router and all is pretty good. Been trying various things over the last few days without any negatives so far. Gaming on PC and PS3 has been great, torrenting good, video streaming (HD) also good, and work VPN and VOIP.

Then of course there is the wireless options from digiweb (and is IBB still around?). And lastly 3G (Meteor, O2, Vodafone, 3). Have found with the 3G ones it can be hit and miss depending on location of masts, etc. so it's worth checking them all out. Car phone warehouse at one point allowed me to take the O2, VF and 3 dongles home and return the ones that didn't work. Back of house was great with 3 - front of house only worked with O2 - go figure!

Anyway - I like my gaming, so latency ridden 3G is not for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

we use bbnet....find them excellent..have had them for 4 yrs now with very litttle disruption and only had 2 breakages that were mended within a day !

http://www.bbnet.ie/?county=limerick

have a look

not sure of where you are...i'm in co.limerick but i know they have offices in shannon so might be in your area

not sure what the connection fee is , was 199 when i joined up but have no idea now and i pay 29.99 a month but its always on

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Do you have cable in your area? I swtiched over to UPC for broadband a few feeks ago, pretty good so far...

I've been using them for years and find them top notch. I must declare an interest though, as I worked for them for several years. I've remained with their service after I left 3 years ago though as it's top notch, great value too if you're getting some of their tv packages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I've been using them for years and find them top notch. I must declare an interest though, as I worked for them for several years. I've remained with their service after I left 3 years ago though as it's top notch, great value too if you're getting some of their tv packages too.

+1

Been with upc for a long while now.. on the 30mb.. never had any problems until late when i got the new cisco router.. but the problems are minute compared to the quality of connection.. as for usage limits i dont think they have one.. sometimes i download 150 gigs in a week.. never anything said.. but there customer service leaves a bit to be desired..

• Advertisement

I haven't had any trouble with the Cisco router so far once it was configured properly. Much better than the old Netgear one I had for ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

Where is UPC Fibre Broadband available in Limerick. I was told it was not available. Is it only in certain places in the city ?

I haven't had any trouble with the Cisco router so far once it was configured properly. Much better than the old Netgear one I had for ADSL.

I dont think so its not even possible to access the advanced settings on the cisco as upc have that page secured via password.. have a look in the broadband forum lots of cisco router problems there..

I think upc is available in 90% of limerick.. are you going by the website telling you its not available? If so id ring and make sure..

I was on their support team back and forth by email (and a couple of calls) and they could not confirm whether you could get the Braodband in Castletroy.

Then the other day I called their office in Dublin and they were saying that it wasnt available in most parts of Limerick. Their sales team leaves a lot to be desired.

What is the best way to find out for sure ? If they do have it in Castletroy then I would definitely like to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

cmurph wrote: »
    we use bbnet....find them excellent..have had them for 4 yrs now with very litttle disruption and only had 2 breakages that were mended within a day !

http://www.bbnet.ie/?county=limerick

have a look

not sure of where you are...i'm in co.limerick but i know they have offices in shannon so might be in your area

not sure what the connection fee is , was 199 when i joined up but have no idea now and i pay 29.99 a month but its always on

second bbnet with them 3 years on wireless have had 2 issues both fixed within a day customer support is excellent.

• Advertisement

I was on their support team back and forth by email (and a couple of calls) and they could not confirm whether you could get the Braodband in Castletroy.

Then the other day I called their office in Dublin and they were saying that it wasnt available in most parts of Limerick. Their sales team leaves a lot to be desired.

What is the best way to find out for sure ? If they do have it in Castletroy then I would definitely like to get it.

It's been 2.5 years since I've worked there, and it was available in most parts of Castletroy when I left. If you are living in a cabled area, it's almost certainly available to you.

It's been 2.5 years since I've worked there, and it was available in most parts of Castletroy when I left. If you are living in a cabled area, it's almost certainly available to you.

Is there a Limerick number to call ? Its a new estate so maybe its not cabled. But I know that some of the houses have the TV there.

Is there a Limerick number to call ? Its a new estate so maybe its not cabled. But I know that some of the houses have the TV there.

Anybody in customer services should be able to tell you that in fairness.
    They have a simple box with either a Y or N if the address is serviceable for the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

UPC>Smart>>>>everyone else.

Stab*City wrote: »
    I dont think so its not even possible to access the advanced settings on the cisco as upc have that page secured via password.. have a look in the broadband forum lots of cisco router problems there..
    I've seen these threads, most the problems seemed to be related to older firmware revisions (UPC update them automatically), or were simply issues I wasn't having. I run a lot of things through it, once the port forwarding and other stuff was set up correctly I had no issues. The DHCP settings are a bit finicky though, but are manageable nonetheless.

I don't know what magical wonder you are expecting "advanced settings" to be. I assume it's just configurations pertaining to connecting to UPC's network, i.e. stuff that will be no use to end users.
    Where is UPC Fibre Broadband available in Limerick. I was told it was not available. Is it only in certain places in the city ?
    It's not fibre, it's "fibre power" which just means there's fibre... somewhere along the line. It's still copper co-ax coming into your house just like you got with Westward Cables 25 years ago. Most cabled areas in Limerick should have it. Was there any upgrade work in your area a few years ago (digging up pavements, etc.)? Are you in a cabled area? If your neighbours have MMDS (weird looking square mesh aerials on roofs) it's probably a bad sign.

I don't know what magical wonder you are expecting "advanced settings" to be. I assume it's just configurations pertaining to connecting to UPC's network, i.e. stuff that will be no use to end users.

The magical wonder i was expecting was to be able to access the advanced settings.. Theres logs in there that would help in finding out what the problem im having is.. which is of plenty use.. since upc dont have a clue..

Advertisement