Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent Developments in Java

Options
  • 07-07-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am a Java developer and have been out of work for 8 months. As part of a job application I have to compose a short piece (paragraph or so) on how I've kept abreast of Java developments since and also what I feels those developments are.

I think the answer would involve naming some publications I have been reading and also what I have been reading about, possibly test-drievn development, Scrum, continuous integration, etc.

I was away travelling and I have not kept abreast in the slightest. I wouldn't reallyhave a clue.

I was wondering if any of you are developers and would be able to give me some pointers as to what the latest developments/technologies/paradigms are. When I left web services/SOA seemed to be the way things were headed.

Anyway, I'd be very grateful of any help. I need the job!

Thanks a million,
    Walrus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Be honest and explain that you were away travelling, might be a good idea to bone up as they have suggested though. I would say, "I've been away travelling for 8 months but at the moment I'm reading the following ..."

Or you could be totally honest and say:

Yeah, I've had 8 months of jungle trecks, beach parties, sexy semi-naked (if even that) single people, sex, cheap booze and to be entirely honest even cheaper drugs. During the last 8 months I haven't given a sh*t about Java as I've been having the time of my f*cking life. Lets face not that much has changed anyway, java-ly speaking. I've done it now though and need to get back on track and career focused so I can pay for my next trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Lengthy amble about the time you spent in the nation of Java?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Or you could be totally honest and say:

Yeah, I've had 8 months of jungle trecks, beach parties, sexy semi-naked (if even that) single people, sex, cheap booze and to be entirely honest even cheaper drugs. During the last 8 months I haven't given a sh*t about Java as I've been having the time of my f*cking life. Lets face not that much has changed anyway, java-ly speaking. I've done it now though and need to get back on track and career focused so I can pay for my next trip.

I suppose they don't want to take someone on who has forgotten everything he/she knew before but who on earth wants to employ someone who kept abreast of Java developments whilst travelling?

EPIC FAIL

Anyone want to show off my giving me some pointers?

• Advertisement

I does sound like a question for somebody who's been unemployed and sitting at home job-searching rather than being away doing something else for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

hmmm a java dev who can't use google. interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Google's not much use for the OP's request.

These might be though:
    http://programming.alltop.com/
    http://news.ycombinator.com/
    http://www.dzone.com/links/

kjl wrote: »
    hmmm a java dev who can't use google. interesting.

If you find that interesting I suggest you get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

have you tried reading the forums on sun microsystems? its always the first place i'd look for new developments in java and since its a forum it'll be easy to search back posts from the last 8 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Developments in java? hmmmm, oracle bought sun......they released the jdk 6 update 21 recently......there ya go!

Advertisement