Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Water Tap - Splitting

Options
  • 07-07-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

I have a lever type valve on an alketene (spelling?) pipe outside my back door. You know the lever type valve - a quarter turn to open or close - quick and easy.

Trouble is that they split. I have installed 4 of them at this stage - every year a new one. Is there any brand out there that will not split? Is it the frost is doing it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have a lever type valve on an alketene (spelling?) pipe outside my back door. You know the lever type valve - a quarter turn to open or close - quick and easy.

Trouble is that they split. I have installed 4 of them at this stage - every year a new one. Is there any brand out there that will not split? Is it the frost is doing it?

Frost is your problem. No other reason for them to split. They are not suitable for hard freeze weather

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I think I found a solution - instead of using a metallic lever valve, they are available in plastic also. Apparently, farmers use them all the time, externally. You can purchase them farmer co-op type of shops.

Expensive though - a 20mm diameter one cost me €36 today. Anyway, cheap at the price, if it works. The metallic ones cost about €5 to €7.

Apparently, there is enough elasticity in the plastic ones to cope with frozen water.

Advertisement