Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom 930 Won't Connect To Laptop

Options
  • 07-07-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Tom 930 is not new, i have updated maps about 9 months ago. But i tried to connect it to my laptop, but laptop is reading 'Unknown Device'. The Tom display doesn't do anything with connection at all. It just stays in the normal menus etc. I am reading on forums that this is a common problem and suspicions are with the Tom dock. Anyone with this problem too?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Does the device connect to another PC via TomTom Home ok?
    If so
    • Try reinstall TomTom Home
    • Try going into device manager , on unknown device right click & uninstall. Disconnect & reconnect & let the PC reinstall the driver.
    • Try resetting the device
    • Try different USB port (Preferrably on the PC & not a hub)
    Let me know how that goes for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

koolkid wrote: »
    Does the device connect to another PC via TomTom Home ok?
    If so
    • Try reinstall TomTom Home
    • Try going into device manager , on unknown device right click & uninstall. Disconnect & reconnect & let the PC reinstall the driver.
    • Try resetting the device
    • Try different USB port (Preferrably on the PC & not a hub)
    Let me know how that goes for you.

I tried going into the device manager to scan for new devices. No avail. I will unistall the driver to see what happens.

I reset the device, but no help there.
    Tried different USB ports......all 3 of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you tried on a different PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

koolkid wrote: »
    Have you tried on a different PC?

Sorry....i don't have access to one right now. I did a search on forums online, it seems ro be a common problem. Fingers point at the port, not the Tom or laptop/pc.

Possibly , but just trying to eliminate as much as possible.
    I recently had an issue with my PC. Running 2 versions of Windows 7 on the same PC , one version would not connect to any TomTom device while the other was fine. Never found the problem , but the next build of TomTom home sorted it.

Have you tried a factory default?

If your still convienced its the device try this as a last resort....

Procede at your own risk here. If you can not get a PC connection you will be left with a non-working device. If you have no back up or no way to make a back up do not continue.

Delete the entire directory ,reset and restart.
    Connect to TomTom Home , you will be prompted to Install the latest application build. After that installs reinstall your map(s)
    If you can not get your device to connect to the PC leave it turned on (or keep turning it back on) & let the battery run down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement