Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vtos question

• 07-07-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is interested in doing the vtos scheme,it says you need to be on the dole 6 months. She'd like to do the leaving cert but would only be on the social welfare 4 months by time september rolls around,is there any discretion time wise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

ronano wrote: »
    My girlfriend is interested in doing the vtos scheme,it says you need to be on the dole 6 months. She'd like to do the leaving cert but would only be on the social welfare 4 months by time september rolls around,is there any discretion time wise?

i did vtos 5 years ago and no there is no discretion you have to be 6months or 156 days on social welfare no exceptions

however here is their contact details in current climate why not chance your arm ring them and see what they say
    http://www.vtos.ie/main/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30

ronano wrote: »

tbh it's not much of an LC course anymore, i went there nearly 3 yrs ago and it was the first year after all the adjustments(in Galway anyway) and all that was left was Irish, Maths and English, i ended up doing the work myself to get my other four passes.

Tell her to do it herself, with a medical card she can waive the fee and apply as an external, plenty of material then on the examinations.ie website, papers and answer sheets.

I can't believe i waited till i was 21 to go there and just ended up getting the 4 passes myself after a week or so study nearing the exams using that site.

It's a joke that they have age limits and dole requirements, what it really says is ''It's great that you want to better yourself but we put these stupid requirements in that have no real significance, go claim on the dole for another year or two and come back''... there's no logic in it.

Seriously if she's smart in any way she'd get them herself, i got an A2 in pass Business and i didn't even do the course(exam papers were pointless as the answer sheets didnt have an answer as such and the content varied, i would have had to read the entire book, thankfully though i can use my head to determine stuff about contracts etc... basic stuff to me anyway from reading papers etc...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Your girlfriend should look into possibility of doing her Leaving Cert under the Back to Education Allowance Scheme.

To qualify for the Back to Education Allowance, you must be at least 21 years of age (24 years of age for a third-level postgraduate course). For exceptions to the age limit - see below.

If you wish to attend a second level course you must be getting one of the social welfare payments listed below for at least 3 months (78 days of unemployment*) immediately before you start the course.

...Second-level option

You can attend a second-level course of education at any secondary, community, comprehensive or vocational school. The course must be full-time and lead to a certificate recognised by the Department of Education and Skills or approved by the Further Education and Training Awards Council, for example, Junior Certificate, Leaving Certificate, Post Leaving Certificate or a City and Guilds Certificate.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

Advertisement