Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweaty Back- Yuk!

• 07-07-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi! I had started a log in December 2009 as I planned on doing the half-Connemarathon. Life got in the way and unfortunately I had to stop training and indeed running for a few months. Been tentatively back at it since May and I signed up to all 3 Adidas Race Series last week. First one is the five mile on 17 July. This is my first group run ever. A marathon-veteran friend recommended keeping a log as a motivator so here goes.

All tips/comments/how-tos most welcome.

I'm a girl, aged 29.

Wednesday 30 June: Early morning: did fast stop-start sprints around a local park for 10 minutes. Then a 10 minute jog. Felt a bit tired but that was because it was so early and before breakfast.

Thursday 1 July: Did a 5 mile evening run in 50 minutes. I felt tired after but not too wrecked during the run. I could have gone on.

Monday 5 July: After a weekend of boozing and general merriment including watersports. Did a 40 minute evening run. It was quite warm out. Not sure how far I got but I was extremely tired so glad to have stayed running that long.

Wednesday 7 July: Did 4.6 miles in 50 minutes. I found it difficult to finish and I'm pooped now. I plan on doing some sprint traning on Friday morning, even for 10 minutes as before.

Over and out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Butterbear

I did 2.66 miles this morning before work in 25 minutes. The first 15 minutes were fast sprints around the perimetre of a local park. I felt a little tired. Walked ther 35 minutes in to work.

Going to do another run tomorrow then climb Lough na Quille (sp???) on Sunday as cross-train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Butterbear wrote: »
    I did 2.66 miles this morning before work in 25 minutes. The first 15 minutes were fast sprints around the perimetre of a local park. I felt a little tired. Walked ther 35 minutes in to work.

Going to do another run tomorrow then climb Lough na Quille (sp???) on Sunday as cross-train.
    Best of luck with the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Butterbear,
    Why don't you check out the hal higdeon training plans. A lot of us who have signed up for the race series are trying our best to follow them. It gives your training some structure and focus.
    When I started (last year) I was all over the place with my running, it definitely helps to have a plan.
    I am on week 4 of the notive half marathon training plan. So far so good.
    Best of luck with the running :)

Thanks Village and jcsmum for the support and tips. I am vaguely following it. My in-house marathon guru. I am fairly happy with my times so far but need to build up my core strength and pace. So I'm doing short, fast runs. I won't do any long runs before the 5 mile next Saturday but I'll do a light one on Wednesday morning just to stay flexible. I think I'll apply myself to the Hal Higdon after the 5 mile as I'll know where I stand- never done a race at all before so I want to see where my mind goes.

This morning, Saturday 10 July, I did 3.2 miles in 25 minutes. It was lashing rain and I found my breathing tough. I had to walk some parts.

Did a 5 hour (!) cross-train yesterday. Hiked up Lough na Quille the hard way. Tough going and I'm sore today but I want to get out for a short, fast run this evening.

• Advertisement

I'm sooo sore from the hike ysterday that I couldn't run this evening. Everywhere was stiff and when I did run, my thights, knees and ankles hurt so I had to just walk encae I injured myself.

Anyone got any tips on how to recover? Stretches? I'd like to do a fast run on Wednesday morning and a light run Thursday evening in advance of the 5 mile Saturday. Is this a good idea? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could try to get out for a slow recovery run tomorrow, just two or three miles to help your muscles recover. I don't think there's any need to do a fast run before Saturday - it won't help your time, and it could hurt it.

Thanks RayCun. I won't get out today- other commitments, but I'll do a slow run tomorrow morning and maybe leave it at that. I'm excited about the race!
    RayCun wrote: »
    You could try to get out for a slow recovery run tomorrow, just two or three miles to help your muscles recover. I don't think there's any need to do a fast run before Saturday - it won't help your time, and it could hurt it.

Stiffness gone- thank god, I was getting worried.

14 July: Did 2.48 easy miles in 25 minutes this morning before work, then walked into work 35 minutes. Not feeling tired at all. Will do another light run tomorrow eve and leave it at that.

Thursday 15 July: Was all set for a 2 mile light run this evening but my in-house guru advised against. He said I should do it so close to Saturday morning. So, I did a light run for under a mile and walked another mile. 2 miles

Also walked for 80 minutes on my work commute.

I'm excited and curious about the 5 mile on Saturday now- I've never run with others so I'm a little anxious too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Good luck with the race on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck with the log and good luck on Saturday.
    And the most important thing is to enjoy it!:D

Thanks kids- I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Wednesday 30 June: Early morning: did fast stop-start sprints around a local park for 10 minutes. Then a 10 minute jog. Felt a bit tired but that was because it was so early and before breakfast.

i really struggle with the morning workouts too. I can run 10km no problem, but went out the other morning on an empty stomach and struggled with 5km.. i definitely think it's the empty tank. for my morning workouts going fwd i'm going to have at least a banana and a gel 30 mins before heading out- i dont see the point in struggling through a half arsed workout just for the sake of it.. or maybe we'll get used to it??

well done anyway butterbear! let us know how you get on sat.. ur guru was dead right, rest the legs for 4 days prior to the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I'm excited and curious about the 5 mile on Saturday now- I've never run with others so I'm a little anxious too.

Races are fantastic! I was a nervous wreck before my first race, but it's amazing how quickly you will relax into it. The first little stretch can be a bit crazy with so many runners, but when the field evens out, you will find your own pace. Use other people around you to keep your preferred pace.
    The best part is crossing the finish line. What a thrill! :D
    Enjoy it!

So I did the 5 mile in 47.30. Delighted! And, although I did find it tough, I had fun. I was nervous but then got on with it. I found the crowds a little annoying but that's because I'm not used to running with other people. I'll have to suck it up and I won't notice after another few.

Went out on the rip in Galway that night so it's recovery run tomorrow and 10 mile training kicks in. Hope everyone had fun too!

Glad you enjoyed it!
    The crowds are a necessary evil I'm afraid ;) They wouldn't put the races on if they weren't getting the crowds!?

20 July: Did a 2.5 mile recovery run this morning before work. Felt good. I really dislike the tshirt I got at Saturady's race: it's too big and a horrible colour.

I'd lots of energy. Will do another tomorrow. Exam results are out in the morning. Repeats may affect my training plan!

Only have one exam to repeat: yay! So, training plan will remain on track..har har.

21 July: Did a short speed session in the morning before work. Then went out after work to celebrate said exam victory. Thursday was a write off and it turns out I also have a bad headcold. Been burning everything at both ends this last few months. The quiet study time will help that.

23 July: Did a four mile run but I'm wrecked withthe head cold so I felt worse afterwards.

I'm off to climb Croagh Patrick tomorrow- a cross-train of sorts then plan a 5.5 mile on Monday evening. As it is, is my traning plan has me running 8.5 miles the Saturday before the ten mile. I'm confident that's enough and will give me time to recover. I'll do a 3 mile and a two mile before Wednesday that week and leave it at that.

Can I swear on this forum???? I think I broke my tailbone coming down from Croagh Patrick today. This may scupper any running plans for awhile...argh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Can I swear on this forum???? I think I broke my tailbone coming down from Croagh Patrick today. This may scupper any running plans for awhile...argh!!!!

Yowser - that sounds painful :eek:

Have you been to A+E? I know there's not much they can do (like they can't put a cast on your arse!) but at least you'll get some decent strong painkillers and you'd have an idea of recovery times.

Best of luck with it, I'll be keeping everything crossed for you.

Thanks rabbit. I'm going to see how I am in the morning and take myself down to st james' if it's still bad- don't think the icepack is making the slightest different. Crossing all limbs that aren't too painful to cross.

Ouch! You poor thing! :eek:
    Hopefully it's just bruised and you'll be right as rain in a week or so. Fingers crossed!

Advertisement