Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusing Dell Claims

Options
  • 07-07-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

What do you make of this?

While trying to figure out to purchase extra warranty with a new Dell laptop I am buying I said I would seek advice on the websites chat facility. They offer 5 day in home repair and phone support.

When I asked: Can you garentee my laptop will last for over a year (or else be repaired) yes or no?
    I was told: 1 year of coverage included with your PC is the manufacturing warranty.
    Me:I did say over a year
    Dell: Yes, it will last, provided it depends on the usage.

Then I asked if the upgraded warranty depended on the usage and If there is a fault in the laptop do Dell question "was it used too much"

I was told by dell:
    Even if you get 1 year of coverage included with your PC or up grade any other warranty , it all depends on the usage of the system.

So why would anyone get Dell warranty? Should a fault occur couldn't Dell say the laptop was over used?

Surprise, surprise when I questioned Dells operator they left the chat. They clearly did not know what they were talking about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Consumer Law states that the product should last a reasonable amount of time with normal wear and tear.

In the case of a laptop - it's not unreasonable to expect a laptop to last 2-3 years.

However, this does not include any damage caused by you due to excessive wear and tear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

padocon wrote: »
    They clearly did not know what they were talking about.
    Actually, they clearly did.

When they say it depends on your usuage, they seem to mean if you break it, we won't cover it, but if the laptop becomes faulty due to a manufacturing fault, they would. You do not state if the fault was caused by a manufacture fault, or caused by spilling tea on it. If they said it would last a year regardless, and you spilt tea on it, you could have them by the short and curlies, they'd have to fix it, but they didn't say this, so I doubt they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

padocon wrote: »
    So why would anyone get Dell warranty? Should a fault occur couldn't Dell say the laptop was over used?

They were most likely referring to misuse rather than over use..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

dudara wrote: »
    Consumer Law states that the product should last a reasonable amount of time with normal wear and tear.

In the case of a laptop - it's not unreasonable to expect a laptop to last 2-3

Does that means no warranty is necessary? Is there any need to pay 150 euro to Dell if they have to cover faults for up to 3 years?

Thanks yee all for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

It's a personal choice..

If you pay the money you get 5 day home support and phone support..
    (which may also include general support and questions).

If you don't then they are liable for manufacturing faults irrespective (but it won't include general support how do I questions etc.), but you may need to go to Small Claims Court to fight your case if they don't respond to claims.

I personally don't even look at warranties for computers because I build/support my own so it's an unnecessary cost, but for those less confident (or where they need quick reliable support) then it may be worth the expenditure.

Extended warranty or not.. you consumer rights remain the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Extended warranty or not.. you consumer rights remain the same.
    and your statutory/consumer rights usually give more protection than a manufacturers warrenty as well as lasting up to 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

And as regards the "How do I..." questions you'll often find forums online that will help you out for free (if you're patient) or even guides wrote up for common issues. Often these people will be more skilled tech wise or at least have more passion for computers than the support staff at the end of the phone (though that's a generalisation based on my limited experience when I did deal with phone support)

Advertisement