Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop about to go out the window

• 07-07-2010 8:25pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I was asked to have a look at a laptop for a friend.
    Basically it was giving an 'Operating system not found' error.
    This message was popping up before any attempt appeared to have been made to boot into an OS. I popped the hard drive out (was a bigger pain than it sounds) and all seems well with it, can mount it on another machine and read from it no problem.

After looking a bit further the BIOS on the laptop is finding no hard drive or DVD drive and most of the options are grayed out to make any change. The only option I could change was to allow booting from external devices. I tried booting from a USB key and it did so no problem.

Unfortunately it's a very poorly designed laptop and also poorly documented online, I cannot find any way of reseting the BIOS. I had to completely remove the mother board from the laptop to disconnect the BIOS batter and left it out over night but alas there is no change.

Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on how to reset the BIOS or if they came across this problem before and how they fixed it.

Laptop: Sony Vaio (VGN-NS11j
    Model: PCG-7143M
    Mobo: HannStar J MV-6
    RAM:4096
    HD: Toshiba 320GB

If you need more info let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Hi TomTom,

Usually that error message indicates something wrong with the hard-disk. Did you try running a chkdsk while you had it connected to your own pc?

As for resetting the BIOS. Are you been asked for a password to get into the BIOS menu?

I know there is away you can short a chip which will reset the password. I did it before on a laptop but it all depends on the model.
    I'm not sure tbh.

Edit: On the latest version of Hirens Boot cd they have BIOS password removers. Obviously you would need to install it on a usb but it shouldn't be a big deal. Might be worth a try.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Yea, HD is fine. I tried another HD in the machine and it was not detected either.
    The DVD rom is not being detected also which makes me thing that something is up there. When I boot into a live CD I can see the sata controllers.
    I want to try cross pins to reset the BIOS but as of yet I have been able to find no solid info for this mobo. Just 1000's of the ones that list the exact one but you need to job to get it aka address harvesting sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

That sounds to me like the motherboard is on the way out.
    I'd try the Hirens boot cd on a usb.

As I said I did it ages ago using a hair pin and I had to just short pins 4 and 6 on a certain chip. Can't remember the exact procedure.

It's very annoying that there is no decent info on the Mobo on the web. I suppose where there are that many makers out there info gets a bit saturated and loss in the pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi

Sounds a bit strange if there is no provision in the BIOS to "Load Optimal Defaults"

Could there be a hidden menu for other settings in BIOS

Gaz

• Advertisement

There is an option to Load Optimized Defaults in the save and quite menu, but it appears to do nothing. I select, save reboot and nothing changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TomTom wrote: »
    Mobo: HannStar J MV-6
    All my searches have led me to monitor manuals with the above :(

/edit
    BIOS: how to reset BIOS to default: http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=34786&l=en_IE&m=VGN-NS11J_S

Still nothing on the actual mobo as yet.

/edit
    HannStar make monitors, and laptop screens. That ain't the mobo model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Certainly sounds like a BIOS password issue.

Are there any codes / numbers on the bios chip??
    If these are no use try search for numbers on stickers on the mobo itself.

I have been in your situation before - v v frustrating and time consuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What happens if you boot a Live Linux CD and mount the hard disk. Can you view it? Do you see the device listed under /dev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

either the storage controller on the MB is goosed or you have a cabling problem between sata / ide connector and disk.. either way it sounds like the disk is fine and the issue is with the laptop.. you could put the disk into an external usb caddy if you can find one and boot from that

• Advertisement

Few things to answer there, it definatly is a Hannstar Mobo, they made them for Toshiba and Sony for years, only supplied to OEM. The exact mobo model is the one in the first post. There is no password protection set on the bios but searching from the BIOS number is a good idea, will try that this evening.

The storage controller may be knackered but really hoping it not. The HD works fine in an external caddy and when you boot from a live USB (live CD not possible) you can see the satra storage controller, all detected properly but no mobo detected.

Both CD and HD are on the one controller so it could be the obvious option I just really want to reset the BIOS first to rule out any corruption as I've had that be the answer to a similar problem before.

Few things to answer there, it definatly is a Hannstar Mobo, they made them for Toshiba and Sony for years, only supplied to OEM. The exact mobo model is the one in the first post.
    Odd. They also have a monitor with the exact same model number.

=-=

Fun times. Reading a bit here http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Misc/Q_23309529.html about someone who looked into it, and it seems a manual doesn't exist
    I don't know if this will be too helpful or not, but I researched the Hannstar motherboard and discovered a few things which may clarify your solution, if any. And I say "if any" because there may not be a way to change the password. If it is a BIOS motherboard password, it may be nearly impossible to get help unless your computer is a major brand. Even then, if it is a Toshiba, you can pretty much forget support from them.

Hannstar's web site in Taiwan is http://www.hannstar.com and they have an email form for contacting support at http://www.hannstar.com/frontend_e/contact/MailProcessForm.jsp?type=1. However, I discovered Hannstar is not actually a motherboard manufacturer at all. They are a re-brander. Further research showed that the Hannstar J MV 4 motherboard was actually produced by Clevo, a well-known and well-respected notebook motherboard manufacturer. The Hannstar J MV 4 is actually a Clevo D500 motherboard. This mobo was produced for a number of companies, including Toshiba, Dell and a company that may be able to help, Sager Notebooks. Sager (web site: http:\\www.sagernotebooks.com) may be able to help only because I've noticed they sometimes have some older repair parts hanging around. I have resold a number of their machines and they will have a tech that can talk to you. They are a smaller company building notebooks and many of their machines have been re-branded by Dell (also a possible supplier of a replacement motherboard, or support??).

Clevo can be found at http://www.clevo.com.tw/en and they may respond to you. However, I've sold a number of notebooks based on Clevo boards and when I went to their site this time, every piece of archival information has been purged from their site. In the past they had a way to order parts, find manuals, drivers, etc. Now, there is nothing but marketing for their current models. I noticed in a forum a similar complaint from another system builder about them changing their website.They have also closed their ftp site.

If, as gfdos notes, the password is for your hard drive, you can just replace it with one from Newegg.com or some other source. If it is the motherboard, it seems no one has a schematic or even a simple motherboard manual. At least, I haven't yet found one. So if there are two solder points to short, I wouldn't know where they might be, or if they exist.

Your problem isn't uncommon with notebooks. Since they are so "proprietary" even though they really aren't, the manufacturers and re-branders like Toshiba and Dell are not necessarily interested in sharing info. My guess is they would rather sell you their newer model. However, contacting the company may help, so give it a try.

Cheers Gerry, saved me a bit of time. Think I will toss the mobo and get a replacment that fits.

Cheers Gerry, saved me a bit of time. Think I will toss the mobo and get a replacment that fits.
    Why? Tip the screwdriver at the points (located under the RAM, I've read, at location "J2") to reset.

Take out power + battery
    Turn on once or twice
    Screwdriver between the two points for 10 seconds

...and bobs your uncle, the BIOS will be reset. Have done similar to some PC motherboards.

PM me, or reply here and I'll dig up where I read it.

And it's J, not G ;)

Thats the one bit I was looking for, where on that mobo are the points to be crossed. If you have the info I'd appreciate it.

Advertisement