Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash diffusers...

• 07-07-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

just wondering if it's worth getting a flash diffuser such as a Stofen Omni-bounce? What kind of shooting scenario would benefit from a diffuser?

Would you only use one where there is no suitable surface to bounce off?

Thanks,
    Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I often use a Lumiquest Soft box which works out ok because it reduces the harsh shadows you can get from direct flash! it can be a bit fiddly to put on the flash but it works pretty good!
    I've never used a Omni Bounce but they can be handy at reducing shadows too, probably not as good as a soft box tho!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Omni bounce works only when you are in a room, that has ceiling and/or walls. The light from the flash head does not go only directly in the direction where you point it, but it gets dispersed in almost all directions and fills in nicely shadows.
    Using it outdoors (without possibility to bounce the light back onto subject or background), you are only lowering the power of the flash and by that the usable distance between you (camera, respectively the flash) and the subject.

One more thing, the bounced light will have colour of the ceiling and/or walls, so don't be surprised to see green shadows, if there is green wall paint ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

ThOnda wrote: »
    Omni bounce works only when you are in a room, that has ceiling and/or walls. The light from the flash head does not go only directly in the direction where you point it, but it gets dispersed in almost all directions and fills in nicely shadows.
    Using it outdoors (without possibility to bounce the light back onto subject or background), you are only lowering the power of the flash and by that the usable distance between you (camera, respectively the flash) and the subject.

One more thing, the bounced light will have colour of the ceiling and/or walls, so don't be surprised to see green shadows, if there is green wall paint ;)

Thanks. Normally, when I bounce flash, I bounce it off the ceiling for general shooting and point the flash straight up if I'm near the subject or tilted forward if the subject is fairly far back. Would this change when using an Omnibounce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If you are used to bounce the flash (and don't forget the white reflective card), you should be grand even without omnibounce. It just disperses light in all the directions. Unless you want that. It nicely fills the whole area. And for a tenner, you cannot go wrong if you get it ;-)

Edit: I read your post again. If you point the flash forwards, the omnibounce will disperse light in all the directions to fill the area. The power won't be equal to bounced flash, but the effect will be still visible. It is somewhere between straight and bounced flash. At least from my limited experience.

Advertisement