Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypertrophic scarring

• 07-07-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

I got a scaffold piercing about 7 weeks ago when I was still living in London. At first everything was dandy and it was healing well. In the last two weeks I've noticed that on the piercing at the top (it was done with two separate barbells) there's a big lump. It wasn't that big to begin with and I went into Snakebite last week to have someone look at it.

I was told that my piercing wasn't healing right as my hair was in the way and that's why the scar was appearing. Since then I have clipped my hair up away from my ear but I noticed in the last 3 days that the lump has gotten bigger. I have had a rough time the last few days (family friend committed suicide and found out my dog may be getting put to sleep on Friday) and I was wondering if this could affect the scarring?

I know when you are under stress and such that the piercing can get agitated but would it make the scar flare up more?

Is there anything I can do to reduce the scar? It's really noticeable now. I bought Bio-Oil last week but I don't know if it will actually work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

CR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Add a drop of tea-tree oil into your Sea salt solution and clean as normal. Literally add only one or two drops as it's strong stuff on your ear. Might take a few weeks but works great. Another option is chammomile tea bags. They're a lot gentler on your skin and work just as well. Make a cup of chammomile tea and let the tea bag sit in the cup for 10-15 mins. Apply the tea bag while warm to your ear until it cools. Added bonus is that you get to drink the tea as well! Do this a few times a day and you should see results in a week or two.

Hypertropic scarring is nothing to worry about and is easily dealt with. It will go away by itself by just leaving it alone but that can take months even years.

Sorry to hear about your friend and dog btw! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I find chamomile tea bags work wonders, just soak the tea bag in hot water then place on the ear. make sure it isn't hot enough to burn you.

Stress can cause lots of stuff from stomach ulcers to flare ups of acne, i think my scarring from last year was due to me stressing so it's pretty possible that it could be the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Thanks a lot guys! I'll definitely try the tea bags.

Has anyone actually found Bio-Oil useful for reducing scars? Just asking as it was quite expensive! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yep, bio-oil works great on scars. Can take a while to see some results though. Never heard of it being used for hypertropic scarring but works well on other scars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i'd stick to chamomile tea bag and such, you need to be applying bio oil for months on end seemingly for it to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Yeah I have to apply it twice a day everyday for at least three months. That's a loooooong time! Think I'll try the tea bags so and find another use for the oil.

Cheers! :)

CR

Advertisement