Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MaxiZoo Rat Day! :D Come and meet some rats!

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

OK - so on Sunday 11th of July we'll be at MaxiZoo Ballincollig, and on Sunday 18th July we'll be at MaxiZoo Midleton doing a 'Rat Day' - where you can meet some of our rats, find out more info about rats as pets, and also MaxiZoo will be having a 20% discount on rat and rat friendly toys! Grin.gif

Hope to see one or two of you there! Smile.gif Times are 2-5 Smile.gif

If you are coming and would like to specifically chat to me, drop me a PM to let me know that you'll be there, and then I'll know to look out for you!

xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Great idea, can't make it down but hope you have a good turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'd love to go to that! I might try and make it to the one in Midleton . . . and any excuse to go to MaxiZoo . . .

Would people be allowed to handle the rats or just look at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zoundz

That's a very good point, and got me thinking! I would hope people can handle rats, but I'll have to OK this with Maxi Zoo first thinking about it, just in case on an off chance one of the rats bit someone, it could cause all sorts of problems.

I think the general idea I have so far, is that people may stroke the rats, and the very confident can hold them if they wish, but again, it'd be on their own head so to speak. Small children may *not* hold them... just in case! :pac:

I know my rats inside out, I know they wouldn't harm a fly... but occasionally something can scare them and they can panic, or if something tastes of food they may have a tasting grab. I know they wouldn't break the skin, but if someone panics and jumps back in that situation, it could cause a sore nip!

I'll have to assess individuals as they request handling! And of course, OK it with Maxi Zoo - so far they've not said there's a problem with handling!

xx

Oh yeah, I know my guinea pigs can nip, and even though it's not hard it can break the skin. They usually just do it to say "let me down!" or if I've been chopping veggies and they can taste them. :)

I've never held a rat before, and only seen them in pet shops but never really interacted with them. It'd be very interesting to get to know what they're like.

There's also the chance that someone could drop one though, or even squeeze it too tight. I'm always scared if kids (or even adults!) hold my animals!

Absolutely, it terrifies me! :eek::(

Fortunately, I know enough about rat behaviour to be able to pre-empt that sort of thing 99% of the time! However, I still keep a firm grip on the tails of any rats being held by people I don't know very well, or people who haven't really handled rats much before. At least then, if they do drop, it's uncomfortable for the rat for a few seconds, but no real harm will be done.

It's very hard to squeeze them too tight ;) I'll show you if you manage to come along (you'll have to introduce yourself, and say that you're "morganafay" from boards.ie!) - they are very solid and muscular, not like hamsters say, and it's very hard to hurt them by holding them firmly.

xx

• Advertisement

Oh I always thought they'd be delicate. :)

I'll definitely go to it if I'm not working that day, looking forward to seeing the rats :)

Not at all! :D They are very sturdy little creatures! :D

Look forward to possibly meeting you! :)
    xx

Just to remind people about these rat days - first is tomorrow in Ballincollig and I'm looking forward to it very much! :D

Expecting to take these cuties:

Bongo Fury Bulbous Also Tapered - Gator Possum
    Gator.jpg

Tenaran Father O'Blivion - Vyvian
    Vyvian.jpg

Tenaran Disco Boy - Darcy
    Darcy.jpg

Bongo Fury Floppy Boot Stomp - Floppy
    Floppy.jpg

Bongo Fury Ice Rose - Ice
    Ice.jpg

Bongo Fury Polyethylene Bag - Ethyl
    Ethyl.jpg

:D Look forward to meeting lots of rat lovers (or would-be rat lovers!)

xx

Had a lovely day on Sunday at Ballincollig - very much looking forward to Midleton now! :D Hope to see some more people there! :D

xx

Woohoo, I'm not working Sunday! So I'm gonna go to the Midleton one!

But if I end up buying a rabbit or guinea pig, or hamster or something . . . :D

• Advertisement

Just a last bump for those who may have missed it! We'll be in Middleton Maxi Zoo from 2.00 until 5.00. Here's hoping we get a fair bit of interest! :D

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Ah, no:( Will be heading to Ballincollig Maxi zoo to get the dogs microchipped so can't make it to Midleton today. We have two rats Stumpy and Roland(v original) Would have loved to be able to go and get some advice. Will post some pics of them later. Best of luck, and hope its a good day for all concerned:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They are gorgeous, wish we could of made it. Their tails still freak me out if only they had hair on them other than that not scared of them, just can't get passed the tail thing. Have had gerbils for years but their tails are nice n furry. Would you say you'll be doing this again at Maxi Zoo later on in the year? Great way to educate the public.

Oh yes, I daresay we'll do it again, it was a lovely day with lots of positive interest! :D

Lindtee - if you need advice, just give me a shout! We run a bit of an open rattery too, and are always open to visits if you fancy chatting rats, and also, we can ratsit if people go away! :)

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi :)

Are u doing any in Dublin?

I hadn't thought about it to be honest! :) I suppose I *could*! It would be a good bit of fun I'm sure! The only thing that worries me is the journey for the rats (but we have travelled them farther - so I am sure we can work it out). It's also rather expensive for us with petrol etc. I'm away early August, but when I come back I'll chat to Maxi Zoo and see if they want us to do any in any of their other stores like Limerick (and they do have stores in Dublin area don't they?).

Thanks for mentioning it! :D

xx

Advertisement