Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card getting in the way of WLAN card

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I recently bought a sapphire 5750 from pixmania and eagerly installed it today. Only to find that the cooler fan is less than half an inch away from my wireless LAN card. Would the graphics card generate enough heat to damage the WLAN card? Does it blow out hot air or suck air in to cool the GPU? Either scenario wouldn't be great as the WLAN card would either obstruct the airflow or get baked.

I know many of you are shouting "Get a GOOD motherboard for a start!" at the screen right now but I ain't rich by any stretch of the imagination and simply cant afford to go replacing X, Y and Z. Just to rule it out: draping feet of ethernet cable over the stairs isn't an option nor is moving the router to my room. Are USB Wifi adapters any good? I've never used one before so haven't a clue if they're a decent replacement for a full blown WLAN pci card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I recently bought a sapphire 5750 from pixmania and eagerly installed it today. Only to find that the cooler fan is less than half an inch away from my wireless LAN card. Would the graphics card generate enough heat to damage the WLAN card? Does it blow out hot air or suck air in to cool the GPU? Either scenario wouldn't be great as the WLAN card would either obstruct the airflow or get baked.

I know many of you are shouting "Get a GOOD motherboard for a start!" at the screen right now but I ain't rich by any stretch of the imagination and simply cant afford to go replacing X, Y and Z. Just to rule it out: draping feet of ethernet cable over the stairs isn't an option nor is moving the router to my room. Are USB Wifi adapters any good? I've never used one before so haven't a clue if they're a decent replacement for a full blown WLAN pci card.

They suck in air, as far as I know, so it SHOULD be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

All video cards by default blow out hot air.. (put you hand at the back of the card)
    and the wireless card should be fine where it is..
    Just use msi afterburner to monitor your temps and set your fan speeds a bit higher if needed..

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Oh ok that's a relief. I'll get that program most definitely or just be aware of any smoke or smell of burnt silicon :D

Advertisement