Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

large format

• 07-07-2010 9:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭

one of those things i've always filed away in a 'would love to try' box; there's currently one for sale (w/o lens) on adverts.ie, and i'm half tempted. who here has played with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I have. They're lovely. If you like to slow down your process as slow as you can get and control every little thing, you'll love using one. If you're easily frustrated though, you may be in trouble...

Also, you're really going to have to be in a position to develop/print/scan yourself, noone around Ireland really deals with 4x5 anymore, and if they do, you can expect to pay a fortune. I think that spot in Abbey St. still devs E6 large format alright, but I couldn't give you a price.

Speaking of price, it *is* expensive business... The camera itself is only the start.

And if you've any thoughts of 4x5 instant... You may take out a mortgage!

Oh, Re the one on Adverts, if Monosnaps is the chap I think he is, he's a good bloke, you'd be buying a solid piece of kit off of him.

And don't worry about the lack of lens for the moment, make yourself a lensboard and start playing with zone plates and pinholes. Zone plates are amazing things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, the one on adverts is a horseman, which i understand is a heavy oul beast, but ffordes in the UK have plenty of other cameras secondhand. would have to sort out a lens too, obviously.
    and i love slowing things down; one reason i am giving it a tiny bit more consideration at the moment is that i'm considering getting an epson perfection scanner, and the 700 can take 4x5.
    would also have to invest in a decent tripod too - i expect my manfrotto wouldn't be up to the job.
    it's just thinking out loud at the moment...

The Horseman's a beast alright, but it's fantastic quality. If you're looking at lightweight, have a look at the older Speed Graphics, make sure they have tilt and shift full working, they're handy for taking around and have plenty of function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'll have to get myself an actual 8x10 one of these days, with movements. Foamcore doesn't really cut it.
    What does a 4x5 enlarger look like ? Are they gigantic ? Thats the thing that attracts me to 8x10, it's probably the smallest format that you can actually contact print and have a decent size print. The holders are expensive though, and the film is about 4 times the price of 4x5, which makes sense i suppose area wise :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I get to play with one in September. Can't bloody wait..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend of mine has a 10x8, but a) it's in the states and it's not really worth me paying for him to have it shipped over, and b) the shutter doesn't work. he thinks it may just be a spring.

is there anywhere these days where you might be able to hire large format cameras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The OH here has one, and it's a mighty beast, but doesn't get taken out much these days, as with out a car, getting it anywhere can be a right pain!

Actually, just spoke to her there, and she'd be willing to rent it out if you wanted to take it for a spin -pm me if you're interested :)

was dropping some film into the fuji centre today, asked about large format. they don't sell it, but they will process E6 and b&w; €5 for a plate in E6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I believe you can develop 5x4 film at home using what's known as the "Taco" method.

Never tried it but I've been Googling it... comes ups on the largeformatphotography forum quite a bit e.g.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=61238

• Advertisement

kathy gunn said there's a place in mullingar which processes E6. but i can't remember the name of it. anyone know of it?

edit: never mind, found it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60234306&postcount=5

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

I don't think that Hand's do E6 anymore, I dropped a roll in there last Friday but ended up getting in xpro'd. But try, give them a ring, they're nice chaps. :)

reply from hand imaging:
    The cost of processing 35mm and 120 film

35mm € 5 plus vat
    120 € 10 plus vat

We also process 4x5 sheets € 3 each plus vat

Our process is C41 only
    we do not process E6 or B/W

If you have any other questions you can give us a ring at *******

not cheap. €10 plus VAT for 120 C41?

get yourself a print drum and start doing it yourself. A drum that holds a couple of sheets of 4x5 shouldn't be too expensive, I got one a few weeks ago on ebay for 8x10 and I think It set me back about 10 sterling or something. Uses 40ml of solution per sheet which is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

get yourself a print drum and start doing it yourself

'Print Drum' brings back some strange search results on eBay... none photography related.

I was also told to look for something Orbital... wrote it down and can't feckin find it now.

You have any eBay links you could share?

Cheers

do a search for "processing drums" or "jobo drums" or "paterson" and filter the results or something, look specifically in the photography section or the "darkroom and developing" section. The one you were told about is called the 'paterson orbital' system. It's not a drum, its more like a covered tray which you wobble around the place. They're all designed to take as little chems as possible and to allow daylight processing (once you've loaded the film or paper in darkness of course). Some of the paper processors reportedly aren't completely suitable for film though.

Advertisement