Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas Red Line (Junkie & Wino Bus)

• 07-07-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I had a dream last night. I got the red line luas to work and I didn't have one druggie annoying me at the ticket machine asking me for spare change for the haaawspital or any piss stinking winos sitting beside me.

Ah! if only reality was the same.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I agree. Its a multi million euro fun factory for degenerates. A very very unpleasant experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

And veolia won't do anything about it until their takings are down!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This is an interesting line alrite, I use both the green & red regularly enough (few times each a week) and there is certainly a contrast :p , its funny how you can actually guess the junkies will get off at Bluebell, also seen junkies shooting up in view of everyone :eek: a few times, can they not just do it behind some bush and not in public view :eek: or something,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Tripping over bums and junkies seems to be synonymous with tram systems right across Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They need the security that Irish Rail use

These guys! They're huge, black uniforms, wouldn't mess with them for sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

They have them in the evenings on a selection of trams, not really great but they usually are on a tram after 6 or so I think

Nick

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As another poster wrote, the contrast between the Green and Red LUAS lines is huge.

The red line has serious problems of anti-social behaviour and drug addicts and associated scummers making the tram ride an uncomfortable and unpleasant expereince for everybody.

Just this afternoion I saw a Garda restraining and arresting a junkie who had been shouting abuse at people at the Heuston Station LUAS stop.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The red line is all that is wrong with Dublin in a convenient highly visible package.
    should really be an activity for adventure tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Just this afternoion I saw a Garda restraining and arresting a junkie who had been shouting abuse at people at the Heuston Station LUAS stop.:(

In the front door and out the back door with a minor pause for processing and possibly to sober up. He'll be back at a tram stop near you by tomorrow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Out of interest are any of you regular Red Line users who complain about the line here, but do not make the same complaints to the RPA, local councilors, TDs, business groups etc?

• Advertisement

have only used it 3 time. once from Connolly to whatever stop after Heuston is and twice from O'Connell st to Heuston. From those experiences alone I'm glad I don't have to deal with it daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Tripping over bums and junkies seems to be synonymous with tram systems right across Europe.
    I use the tram to work every morning, no junkies in sight on it.

never had a single issue or noticed scummers causing trouble in Amsterdam on the trams there...
    nor on any U or S bahn in Germany
    nor on the Milan underground
    nor in London
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

never had a single issue or noticed scummers causing trouble in Amsterdam on the trams there...
    nor in London

As I'm tired of saying Ireland has plenty of law but no order. Coming out of Dunnes Supermarket here in DG yesterday, about 3pm, and a quite respectable looking man ran out the door carrying a box of Heineken with three security men running after him..........he dropped it on the street and took off.....:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've used it a dozen times or so and never had any problems. But my OH has seen all sorts on it (including a streaking 10 y/o boy last week :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It certainly seems to depend on the time that people use it.
    I use it fairly regularly early on Thusday evenings to get into the city centre from the Naas Road stop and I've never seen any of this stuff. Apart from the occasional drunk gettng on, it must be the best time to use the Luas.

I suppose I shouldn't complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

murphaph wrote: »
    I use the tram to work every morning, no junkies in sight on it.
    As a rule of thumb, junkies don't generally do mornings (unless it's dole or Methadone day). On other days they wouldn't normally be out & about until at least noon.

Wino's would be hanging around the stops alright, but don't seem to venture onto the actual LUAS until after the morning rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I could fill a page here describing some of the things I've witnessed on the red line Luas. From a lady being attacked at Abbey Street, to junkies shooting up, people selling drugs, gangs of youths boarding and terrorising passengers, and one day, as a packed tram was traveling along, a junkie pulled the emergency lever to open the doors - this applied the emergency brakes, passengers fell, the driver was shocked and the junkie just opened the doors and strolled off.

Only last night I had a conversation with a friend saying that the Red Line luas has made me start to hate Dublin. Coming home last night at 9pm, my Luas arrived with a garda car pulling in in front of the tram to meet a gang of teenagers who had been obviously causing trouble, the tram then filled up with drunks/junkies, and every stop was full of the same. It really makes for depressing traveling. It's a shame that this is what many tourists view once they arrive in Dublin.

Veolia are well aware of the problems. Many of their staff deal with the problems daily. The new security presence in the evenings is welcomed but it makes no difference at all. There are 27 stops on the red line with trams every few minutes, so it's impossible to have security on every tram or stop. It's very annoying to be on a tram full of scumbags while looking at fancy designed posters telling us that "you're safe with Luas".

If I was in charge of operating Luas I would be seriously concerned. This problem is the most common complaint people have about the service. The problem lies with the Gardai and their policing of the platforms. Someone begging at a Luas machine intimidating passengers should be moved, someone who can not stand up straight because they are drunk or off their face should not be allowed board a tram, and they need to take action against the gangs of teenagers who use the Luas simply to cause trouble.

This problem has been happening for years now, and in typical Irish fashion, the same issues exist. No other capital city would allow a public transport system with 90,000 daily passengers be subjected to the same problems that face commuters on the Luas red line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

[QUOTE]If I was in charge of operating Luas I would be seriously concerned. This problem is the most common complaint people have about the service. The problem lies with the Gardai and their policing of the platforms. Someone begging at a Luas machine intimidating passengers should be moved, someone who can not stand up straight because they are drunk or off their face should not be allowed board a tram, and they need to take action against the gangs of teenagers who use the Luas simply to cause trouble.

This problem has been happening for years now, and in typical Irish fashion, the same issues exist. No other capital city would allow a public transport system with 90,000 daily passengers be subjected to the same problems that face commuters on the Luas red line.
    [/QUOTE]

Absolutely 101% in agreement with KD345 here..

The parallels with Dublin Bus services are all to prophetic.

Dublin Bus has haemorraged passengers in avery short space of time.

Whilst the great and the good of the company`s management continually pandered to a Department of Transport fixation with Peak-Time travel,the equally important valley periods were totally ignored.

As many posters point out it is extremely difficult for any Public Transport entity to provide efficiently for "Peak" loadings.

However instead of addressing the Valley or Off-Peak as an opportunity to be seized upon we have continually treated them as services to be withdrawn at the drop of a (Tin) hat.

For example,far too long now,Tallaght Bus services after 1900 have been moveable feasts just as likely to be completely or partially withdrawn as to operate at all.

By far and away the greatest cause of this situation has been "Anti-Social Activity" by a substantial band of,usuallywell known,barely civilized cretins and their equally sizeable band of numpty followers.

This has a three-fold effect;

1. It frightens away the bread and butter paying passenger who simply requires public transport.

2.It instils a belief amongst the greater public that Dublin Bus management and staff do not hold their own operations in sufficiently high regard.

3.The "ordinary decent passenger" makes alternative transport arrangements and is lost....Forever.

Right now Veolia management have a choice,the opportunity to make that choice will not linger for long,so they must act fast and decisively.

They must choose whether or not to support their "Ordinary Decent Passenger" and fully guarantee the rights of that ODP to avail of their services without let or hinderance,as is their right under law.

OR

Veolia,with the active connivance of the RPA and inter-alia,the Government can decide to carry-on regardless and continue to pander to a steadily increasing emboldened number of anti-social malcontent deviants.

It really is a rather simple choice,nothing supersonic about it.

One allows Luas as a valued and desireable publicly owned resource to be protected and improved upon for the benefit of the greater good....the other,easier,choice is to allow Luas to go the way of the Dublin Bus bin-lorry routes that sporadically criss-cross the Dublin nocturnal suburbs carrying little more than those dedicated to making life miserable for everybody else....why..?....because they damn well can...that`s why...Bud !!!! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

... It frightens away the bread and butter paying passenger who simply requires public transport.
    The "ordinary decent passenger" makes alternative transport arrangements and is lost....Forever.

Spot on Alek. I work along the new stretch of the red line to the IFSC/Point. Initially, the arrival of the tram was met with excitement. A few people in my company started using the Luas. However, in the last year, many of them have come into work with horror stories of what they witnessed. These are people who chose public transport over their car and just want to travel to and from work in safety. Nobody wants a junkie or drunk sitting beside them.

• Advertisement

Same old ****, different day. ZERO TOLERANCE is the only policy to make the city safe for ordinary decent citizens. Reclaim the streets (and the DART & Luas). Drunks, druggies and yobs should be carted off to spend the night in the cells while they consider their behaviour. However, I see no chance of this happening and I'm off as soon as the kids are through college - last one out turn off the lights. :mad:

Those scumbags have more rights than the decent members of society they are stealing and leeching from.

I work along the new stretch of the red line to the IFSC/Point. Initially, the arrival of the tram was met with excitement. A few people in my company started using the Luas. However, in the last year, many of them have come into work with horror stories of what they witnessed. These are people who chose public transport over their car and just want to travel to and from work in safety. Nobody wants a junkie or drunk sitting beside them.

Herein lies the only hope we have of getting our Public Transport systems regarded as a normal everyday part of society...just like Electricity,Water or Gas.

These "few people" are what constitutes the only real hope of the legions of spin-doctors,graduate managers and associated trench coat wearing young guns having a viable future.

As a Busdriver I see it every day (and night) of my working week...the effect that one individual or group of such vexatious passengers have upon the genuine fare-paying non destructive passenger.

Taking LUAS as a point,I wonder why even though they monopolise the Ticket Machine areas for "Spare Change" the recipients of it would never think of using it to pay their Fare ?

Instead the "Few People" using LUAS for the first time are given a very obvious lesson that Modern Ireland places very little value on their decisions or attempts to behave in a socially desireable manner.

Nah....this Ireland will instead issue it`s Social Misfit`s,Deviants,and others of Ill-Intent with a Free-Pass which will allow them to travel free-of-charge throughout the State while not even bothering to seek a committment to treat the service provided them free-gratis,with some respect.

Why,for example do we facilitate substance abusers and a motley crue of others with free-travel whilst denying the same to a recently unemployed person who desperately needs to get around to job interviews and the like ?

Oh,I hear the middle management chorus sing,you mus`nt cause upset....don`t cause a scene.....the apple cart trundles along with few realizing that it`s actually more reminiscent of a Tumbril in revolutionary Paris.

Those "Few People" described in KD345`s post are what ALL Public Transport entites in this State need to focus upon and pretty damn quick because those folks will not procrastinate or delay about making their departure from Public Transport and when they go,they remain gone !....unlike our other friends who in true Pauline style will be forever with us....as long as it`s free ! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Those "Few People" described in KD345`s post are what ALL Public Transport entites in this State need to focus upon and pretty damn quick because those folks will not procrastinate or delay about making their departure from Public Transport and when they go,they remain gone !....unlike our other friends who in true Pauline style will be forever with us....as long as it`s free ! :mad:

Unfortunately the "few people" you refer to Alek will not and never have complained about the problems they face. Thats why the problem persists. They will more than likely frown upon the behaviour, talk about it in work/pub/restaurant/home/internet and then eventually give up and take the car. The status quo will remain due to a lot of public complacency and resulting state inaction. Anti social behaviour has been a consistant feature of late night bus services since I was a teenager. (I'm well over 20 years on from that and still the problem continues.)

There has been an absolute failure to deal with this crap since it began over 30 years ago. Its an old problem that the state has failed to grasp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They use them, STT Rail Security, they don't seem to use the same stormtrooper outfit on the Luas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

nor in London
    In a similar category to scummers are the Roma, they seem go around in packs and know every trick in the book on how to fleece people.

I have come across them in several Eastern Europe, Budapest, Madrid and Barcelona.

If I see them boarding trams, I batten down the hatches with any possessions.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Unfortunately the "few people" you refer to Alek will not and never have complained about the problems they face. Thats why the problem persists. They will more than likely frown upon the behaviour, talk about it in work/pub/restaurant/home/internet and then eventually give up and take the car. The status quo will remain due to a lot of public complacency and resulting state inaction. Anti social behaviour has been a consistant feature of late night bus services since I was a teenager. (I'm well over 20 years on from that and still the problem continues.)

There has been an absolute failure to deal with this crap since it began over 30 years ago. Its an old problem that the state has failed to grasp.
    these few people should never have to complain and you are right they will never complain they will vote with their feet and stop using the service even though it may be faster cheaper etc but for peace of mind and not being harrassed by criminals junkies winos and homeless people whose main problems are by and large self inflicted these decent members of society will choose their cars rather than complain.

so what is being done to keep these reasonable decent people using public transport? absolutely nothing! there was a flurry of security activity a while back after the roma incident on the luas but things have returned to normal now with so-called homeless beggars many having convictions for violence and most of whom are strung out on heroin harrassing people at most red line luas stops within the city area from heuston to connolly.

what is the answer? does the department of social "protection" actuall live up to its new name and start to protect society? can the free travel passes be taken off the scumbags or would the bleedin heart liberals pay for a judicial challenge to this? can they be barred from luas stops if found begging? is there a jail to put them if they ignore the law?

i am not sure there is any answers to this issue but one thing that can and should be done is for veolia to take action against these people barring them from luas property and constantly harrass the guards until every one of the scumbags are arrested and jailed for breaching the barring orders placed on them.

Hard to believe it but Irish people eliminated the one "right wing" (slightly conservative) party we had (the PDs, for what they were worth). We NEED a conservative party in Ireland who represent middle Ireland. We are not a peasant nation anymore. We don't need Land-League esque parties to represent us: we need modern conservatism that places value in manners, common decency and respect for one another. I will not bring my children up in Ireland until the society there has changed drastically.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

murphaph wrote: »
    Hard to believe it but Irish people eliminated the one "right wing" (slightly conservative) party we had (the PDs, for what they were worth). We NEED a conservative party in Ireland who represent middle Ireland. We are not a peasant nation anymore. We don't need Land-League esque parties to represent us: we need modern conservatism that places value in manners, common decency and respect for one another. I will not bring my children up in Ireland until the society there has changed drastically.

It's noting to do with "middle Ireland".

See this from the Irish Times today: Future is urban, where 'Up Mayo' politics won't do - http://short.ie/369adu
    Urban voters will therefore make life difficult for the main rural-based parties because they have different priorities. They are less laissez-faire, and more demanding of immediate results. They want better public transport systems, more guards on the street, more lighting, less traffic, less drugs on the corners, speed ramps, school crossing wardens. Essentially they want things that will make living in close proximity to other people more bearable. And they want it now.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    It's noting to do with "middle Ireland".

See this from the Irish Times today: Future is urban, where 'Up Mayo' politics won't do - http://short.ie/369adu

ok, Middle urban Ireland....you know what I mean: the non-scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Murph, I've a better term - 'civil society'. There was some good points in that article (some major flaws too), but a critical one was the reference to the rise of 'city Governments' in other countries, and how directly elected officials were quickly mandated to go and sort out criminality, and could actually do so by pulling agencies together. The cleaning up of Times Square is the classic example, and the absolute model Dublin should pursue, particularly for the Quays. If that means zero tolerance and/or a 'three strikes and you're out' method, even better. Talking to Gardai here, their job is practically impossible - there are people out there with hundreds of criminal convictions, who only ever serve a week or two of prison at the time. Arresting them basically just takes up time doing paperwork, and the prisons are full - putting some one in means that someone else has to leave. This problem requires Government action, and if national Government won't or can't do anything about it, the local Govt better.

I've a pet theory that people in Dublin have largely become blind to the level of crime and intimidation over time. When I arrived in Dublin, after living in Cork city for a few years, I could not get over the disorganised, chaotic mess that Dublin was, and the pervasive nature of crime and the heroin problemn particular. The physical infrastructure and traffic has gotten better over the years, but the crime problem hasn't.

I'm one of those people who got so sick of scumbags on the bus that I went and bought a bike. In 'up and coming areas' of the city, crime and 'anti-social behaviour are major barriers for the use of public transport. Some routes are fine, and others are only for the brave. The 78A from Aston Quay is a challenge from the outset, particularly if you're travelling after 7 and all the bus passes are out. To the be fair, the Gardai do try, I saw plain clothes Gardai on the bus a few times (they used get off at my stop, into an unmarked car, and back into town), but it's not exactly possible to put Gardai on every bus.

I'm one of those people who got so sick of scumbags on the bus that I went and bought a bike. In 'up and coming areas' of the city, crime and 'anti-social behaviour are major barriers for the use of public transport. Some routes are fine, and others are only for the brave. The 78A from Aston Quay is a challenge from the outset, particularly if you're travelling after 7 and all the bus passes are out.

Another good level-headed post from what I take to be an "ordinary-Joe"

It is my fervent belief that unless the Civic Authorities,Government Departments and my own employers begin to recognize the reality that there are many many more Aidan 1`s who never post of their experiences but simply go and do something about it.

That usually means deciding to abandon Public Transport as a viable or safe means of getting around..

This attitude when allowed to become widespread,spells the death of Public Transport which "Serves all of the Community" replacing it with a far less desirable entity altogether.

It a wakeup post...for sure !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

To move back onto the specific topic, this is one I have strong feelings on. The black uniforms can sometimes be seen on the Red line.

Now, you look at revenue protection units. Green line all day long they are like flies on s***te.

Red line it's like tumbleweed city for seeing any Veolia red hi-viz. I do honestly think there's an unspoken lack of enforcement on certain sections/times , as it seems easier to hassle white collar types for the penalty fares, instead of the trams being held up by junkies who won't get off.

trellheim wrote: »
    To move back onto the specific topic, this is one I have strong feelings on. The black uniforms can sometimes be seen on the Red line.

Now, you look at revenue protection units. Green line all day long they are like flies on s***te.

Red line it's like tumbleweed city for seeing any Veolia red hi-viz. I do honestly think there's an unspoken lack of enforcement on certain sections/times , as it seems easier to hassle white collar types for the penalty fares, instead of the trams being held up by junkies who won't get off.
    there is more to be made by the white collar types who try to evade the fare than the scumbags who most likely have a pass, the white collar types will actually pay the fine while any scumbags caught well it can be added to a long list of misdameanors!

also there is the whole health and safety aspect for veolia staff who are possibly not allowed patrol the red line at certain times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's probably going to get worse when the Saggart extension brings it through West Tallaght.

I'm not having a snobbish pop at WT by the way, as I grew up there.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    It's probably going to get worse when the Saggart extension brings it through West Tallaght.

I'm not having a snobbish pop at WT by the way, as I grew up there.

Yes, and the Green Line will see an increase in trouble once the cross city link-up is made. The DART had a similar effect when it came on stream. I think it was the oft quoted Duke of Wellington who disapproved of railways on the grounds that they would allow the masses to wander aimlessly - how right he was.

Aidan1 wrote: »
    The 78A from Aston Quay is a challenge from the outset, particularly if you're travelling after 7 and all the bus passes are out.

A challenge is putting it lightly!
    I too got the 78A for over a year, my Luas and DB ticket cost over 900 euro though there was tax incentives too. A good price I reckon but dealing with 78A to Ballyfermot and Red Line Luas wasn't worth it.

So like yourself Aidan1, I too got a bike, didn't renew my ticket and DB and Veola are down 900 euro, I doubt they even care.
    As when I used the bus, every troublemaker seemed to have battered cardboard pass which they'd wave at the driver or shout Pass. No need to scan these at all so who tracks how many are out there, must the worlds easiest ID to fake.
    If Dublin Bus wish to put their needs over fare paying customers then I won't tell them how to run their business.

The service was frequest, the 79/79A were even faster and there were one or drivers that very friendly, you'd get to know them, I haven't a bad word to say about the drivers.
    But where are the inspectors/gardai/security?

I realy doubt I'm the only person to give up an annual ticket and it was the topic of this thread that lost my fares.
    And now Dublin Bus management will scream they are losing money so will cut even more services and lay off drivers, vicious cycle I suppose but I can't believe they are not aware of what is happening.
    Maybe they lack the will to do anything.

I dreaded the 78A after 7pm :mad: And the Luas wasn't much better up to Bluebell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

never had a single issue or noticed scummers causing trouble
    in London
    KD345 wrote: »

I have been to London many times and know that when you walk into an underground station outside of peak time your risking, at the your wallet.

I mean are you people that naive?Countries across Europe and the world have major problems on their public transport systems.

I havn't ever been the victim of anything on the LUAS myself but yesterday three junkies boarded.They were loud and smelly and were generally just causing a fuss.At the next stop, 4 ticket inspectors got on(safety in numbers?) and marched straight for the loudmouth druggies.Instantly the three whipped out "free travel" passes.There was nothing the inspectors could do.And the three remained on board, much to the perturbance of other passengers who were being asked for "a lend o' yer phone pleazz mistuur".

I mean how do they expect to keep the lines safe if every scumbag in the city is given a free pass???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The red line is all that is wrong with Dublin in a convenient highly visible package.
    should really be an activity for adventure tourists.

Bolivia's Death Road would pale by comparison..

Black uniform security guards on duty @ Jervis St @ 1700 today, also 1xVeolia, same at Abbey St.

Hello : Dear Lurking Veolia Managers : More of this kind of thing please it really does work.

• Advertisement

Black uniform security guards on duty @ Jervis St @ 1700 today, also 1xVeolia, same at Abbey St.

Hello : Dear Lurking Veolia Managers : More of this kind of thing please it really does work.
    if only they could travel around in an old black commer van and spring out where and when needed, where is "lugs" brannigan when needed!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The ticket inspectors should be given the power to withdraw a free travel pass where the people involved have been misbehaving. Same facility should be given to a bus driver.

Red Alert wrote: »
    The ticket inspectors should be given the power to withdraw a free travel pass where the people involved have been misbehaving. Same facility should be given to a bus driver.
    aqfaik they already have the power to keep the passes if they suspect fraud and they certainly have the power to put the scumbags off the bus or tram if misbehaving.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think we've all pretty much reached the consensus that a serious problem with anti-social behaviour exists along the LUAS Red line and action needs to be taken.

More visible security and gardai prescence at the stops would be a good start.

The problem on the LUAS Red lione are symptomatic of wider problems in Ireland of a distinct lack of respect for civic and public spaces and facilities. It comes from a society that does not have a long history of urbanisation.

It comes from a society that does not have a long history of urbanisation.

A point JupiterKid,perhaps....but right now there is hardly a village,parish or townland in Ireland that does not have serious problems with civil commotion or just downright savage behaviour.

It fills the pages of Parish Journals,Local Papers and the airwave time of Local Radio usually accompanied by the qualification that it`s the work of a "small minority" ......the reality is that it may be small to begin with but the ability to get away with yahoo`ism adds greatly to the cachet of whatever local half-wit manages it.

Once the Village Idiot has "bested" the system he/she can and usually does move on to greater anti-social doings...one only needs to take account of the substantial amount of "Juvenile Liason Scheme" and "Benefit of the Probation Act" rulings to see how the assembly line works.....and it works like a well oiled machine.

For the less savage and half civilized person there remains little incentive to behave in a sensible and refined manner...there will be no accolade,no support or recognition from the State,you`ll just be expected to get on with it and work your ass off to pay the legal costs of the wild eyed,sneering and supremely confident baloubas who march in and,more importantly,out of our Courts each and every day.

Thats my take on it......Y`all have a nice day now,Y`hear... :)

Spotted a Garda on a Red Line tram at Jervis this AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

The Guards are always on the Red Line since the court opened up on Parkgate street but they don't seem to be interested in getting involved. Maybe they are only there to go to the court. It is easy enough to identify them by the shoes no matter how high they zip up their jackets.

The problem on the red line is that the only people caught and prosecuted for Fare evasion are "normal" people any one likely to cause trouble is avoided or asked to leave the tram.

wintear wrote: »

The problem on the red line is that the only people caught and prosecuted for Fare evasion are "normal" people any one likely to cause trouble is avoided or asked to leave the tram.

So, so true
    If you hold your hands up and give your name and address you get a fine.
    Act aggressively and swear at the ticket collector and you'll be put off at the next stop, no fine.
    And then you get the next tram

Spotted a Garda on a Red Line tram at Jervis this AM
    i have often seen guards on the red line with their phones out getting pictures of people at different stops, intelligenge gathering? their presence does help but they are simply too busy to patrol the trams.

So, so true
    If you hold your hands up and give your name and address you get a fine.
    Act aggressively and swear at the ticket collector and you'll be put off at the next stop, no fine.
    And then you get the next tram
    you also get the idea that you cant or wont be touched by veolia or the law and you get braver untill some poor customer gets stabbed for refusing to hand over their change or for turning away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement