Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland -v- Spain - World Cup Final

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Was he not offside for the first pass for the goal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Cassilas won it for them, not just this match either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

English even failed to produce a decent ref.

Well done Spain.

Very poor match in a mediocre competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bit ironic that this final was eventually won byanother poor ref decision:(

Even though wanted a Holland win, Spain deserved it overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Well done Spain but the Dutch players are not 1 bit happy with Webb! Overall a poor game and a poor tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Thats what happens when you have one of the worst referees in the world reffing the biggest game in the world.

That game disgraced football in every possible way, Spain are just yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    lol

Let me guess, a united fan, who thinks its rooney... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

PHB wrote: »
    To be honest, I think that Webb reffed this final absolutely excellently, and even though he got the odd decision wrong, I still think it was a top-class performance.

I can't deny he handled the match amazingly well in terms of trying to keep it 11 v 11 for as far as he can.

Still though, the game was won from a free that should have been that wasn't given to the dutch.

He missed an obvious corner too, totally took the shine off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Useless World Cup final, which epitomised the tournament. A very poor tournament.

Well done Spain.

That Netherlands team got there by sheer fluke, and couldnt hold a candle to the Spanish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Proper team won, Spain were the only ones trying to play football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

still feel bad for the Dutch keeper, he had a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Mushy wrote: »
    Bit ironic that this final was eventually won byanother poor ref decision:(

Even though wanted a Holland win, Spain deserved it overall.

What poor decision?? the ref was right! he was onside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

De-****ing-lighted. Apart from Torres though. Gutted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be fair to Webb he had a very difficult game to referee. Bar the De Jong tackle in the first half where it should have been a straight red I think he did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

A victory for pricky pricky football, diving cheating simulation, chasing refs with imaginary cards and bad sportsmanship. If this is the ultimate style of football- RIP Football:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Alan Hansen changed his tune for this match :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Iniesta MOTM. Cassilla's surely?...Sh*t decision to end a sh*t night...and possibly a sh*t World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Really enjoyed that. Few meaty challenges and end to end stuff. Not exactly beautiful football but decent all the same.

Torres is a crock. Hope City stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

PHB wrote: »
    To be honest, I think that Webb reffed this final absolutely excellently, and even though he got the odd decision wrong, I still think it was a top-class performance.

Great performance by Webb in really tough match to ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    By the way, anyone who thinks there was a 'good' side there tonight is way off. Both teams were fouling, diving and (above all) bitching constantly.

Some kind of never-ending penalty shoot-out purgatory might've been fitting, but neither of them can take any moral high ground.

Not according to RTE......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

06-05-09 Iniesta shoots

Injury Injury Injury Injury

11-07-10 Iniesta shoots

:cool::cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Champions of the WORLD. F**king delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ragg wrote: »
    Let me guess, a united fan, who thinks its rooney... :rolleyes:

No, someone who doesn't live in a mental institution, who thinks Messi is.

Brendog wrote: »

It wasn't for offside, it was for the stonewall free he never gave to the dutch which started the spanish move that led to the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

chupacabra wrote: »
    I really wanted Holland to win this. But they really really deserve everything they get after that utter disgrace of a performance. Holland tried to kill football today, Iniesta saved the day.

Spot on. Spain are no angels either but at least they play the game properly. The Dutch were a disgrace, they had no intention of playing football or winning it, they only wanted to hack Spain at all costs. Football won today thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

noodler wrote: »

And the BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

By the way, anyone who thinks there was a 'good' side there tonight is way off. Both teams were fouling, diving and (above all) bitching constantly.

Some kind of never-ending penalty shoot-out purgatory might've been fitting, but neither of them can take any moral high ground.

Yesh but if you were Spanish would you give a shíte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

A victory for pricky pricky football, diving cheating simulation, chasing refs with imaginary cards and bad sportsmanship. If this is the ultimate style of football- RIP Football:mad::mad::mad:

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    No, someone who doesn't live in a mental institution, who thinks Messi is.

Was messi even at this worldcup?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Het-Field wrote: »
    That Netherlands team got there by sheer fluke
    Fluky ya? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed. Few meaty challenges and end to end stuff.

"End To End"

I pretty much accept most of your views as gospel. But the quoted post is not representative of a crap and thuggish game which unfolded. It was never end to end, and it was only noteworthy for the huge number of bookings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

winer-fiesta.png?w=486&h=346&h=346

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Unlucky Holland, but you just werent going to be allowed to beat Spain tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The first 20 minutes were ok. You can't go around hacking like Holland do and expect no reaction.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

How did Iniesta get MOTM? lost possession and seemed to misplace loads of passes, anyone know where to get those stats? I think Casillias should have got MOTM

• Advertisement

The octopus predicted 8 outta 8 correct results.

What a legend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Spot on. Spain are no angels either but at least they play the game properly. The Dutch were a disgrace, they had no intention of playing football or winning it, they only wanted to hack Spain at all costs. Football won today thankfully.

Spain probably cheat more than anyone else so not too sure football won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Brendog wrote: »

He was a mile onside obviously. It was clearly a corner though.

EDIT: Also what ctrl-alt-delete said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Xavi6 wrote: »

That's a real dick thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

The lesser of 2 evils won. Spain are horrible winners although not as bad as that Dutch team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ragg wrote: »
    Was messi even at this worldcup?? :rolleyes:

Yes, he was son.

You're mad if you really think Iniesta ''is the best player in the world by far''.
    Get off his cock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Away with you pal.

The point was that it was an awfully reffed game - put away your hardon (or bet) for Spain for a moment and you'll see that was the important part of the post.

Bollicks I didn't really want to see Spain win to be honest. The ref did all he could. What do you want him to send everyone off and have the game called off because there's not enough players on the pitch.

Spain were just as ****ing disgraceful for their cheating through dives and gesturing for cards as the Dutch for their aggression. He could have sent off Robben, Van Bommel, Iniesta, De Jong maybe van Bronkhurst and others. Would have turned into a 5-a-side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Delighted for Spain and particularly for Casillas, Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta.

I presume Villa gets the Golden Ball.

Feel sorry for Robben, he had chances and thats two big losses this year for him.

Stekelenburg is probably the player that has raised his value the most out of the two teams in the final, nothing he could do about the winner but he was superb all through the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

The right team won on the night but Spain are not one of the great teams like everybody makes them out to be.

2 players won Spain this world cup - David Villa and Casillas. Take those 2 guys out of the team and Spain would have been lucky to make it out of the 2nd round.

Casillas made vital saves against Paraguay and in the final against Robben that kept Spain in it, and Villa was the only player they had that could break teams down. He scored all but 2 or 3 of their goals I believe.

Without those 2 the team is too narrow and one dimensional with no plan B and Del Bosque is a terrible manager I think. I think there are probably a half dozen Spanish born managers that would have done a more convincing job with those players. Navas is muck, and Silva barely got a kick. Fabregas was one of their best players coming off the bench and never got a look in for the starting side.

They also can't cope with big, physical sides. Switzerland was a big side and they beat them and Holland almost beat them.

Overall, they dererve the 2010 world cup, but they are FAR from this fantastic team that everyone makes them out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'll remember that when I am seasoning him for taste.

Yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    And the BBC

ITV too, the fawning over Spain reached sickening levels tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I don't expect people who research the Germans by watching Bayern in the CL to go beyond level 1 analysis in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd fry the bastard right about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Paddy Power has a hit out on him now.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    That's a real dick thing to say.

If the BBC are to be believed, he spent the whole of the second half warming up, and the whole of the 1st in extra time, thats an hour, in his first real sprint he pulled up in agony. That is the sign of a long term damaged, crocked hamstring to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement