Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland -v- Spain - World Cup Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    That's a real dick thing to say.
    Why is it? Nobody doubts how good he is but he is constantly injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bollicks I didn't really want to see Spain win to be honest. The ref did all he could. What do you want him to send everyone off and have the game called off because there's not enough players on the pitch.

Spain were just as ****ing disgraceful for their cheating through dives and gesturing for cards as the Dutch for their aggression. He could have sent off Robben, Van Bommel, Iniesta, De Jong maybe van Bronkhurst and others. Would have turned into a 5-a-side

Agreed.

I didn't say the Dutch were the only ones at it.

Puyol should have been red carded in the second half.

The ref should have played the match rather than the ocassion though - if a foul is worthy of a card then you give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Xavi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

CASSILAS GET TO LIFT IT, HAPPY FOR THAT, SHOULD HAVE BEEN MOTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Torres can walk! Thank you God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Hahahahahaha Webb boo'd love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

eagle eye wrote: »
    I presume Villa gets the Golden Ball.
    Edit: Ah sorry, Golden Ball... be interesting to see. I like how the voting is done before the final's been decided though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Muller gets the boot anyways, delighted :)

Webb deservedly booed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Love the way they're all saying Spain play the most positive football, last time I checked they only scored 8 goals in the entire world cup and spent most of the world cup time wasting, neither team deserved to be there IMO

Should have been Germany v Brazil, would have been far more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

booing webb?
    send them off webb..send them all off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Het-Field wrote: »
    "End To End"

I pretty much accept most of your views as gospel. But the quoted post is not representative of a crap and thuggish game which unfolded. It was never end to end, and it was only noteworthy for the huge number of bookings.

It was end to end. No one team exclusively dominated but both had super chances to win it themselves.

I'm not sure what else end to end could mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Well done Paul the Octopus. You're the true winner of this fraud of a World Cup :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think I agree with opinion that the 2 teams were fairly disgusting. Kicking v diving. Horrible game and won't do anything to convince non fans to continue watching the sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Yes, he was son.

You're mad if you really think Iniesta ''is the best player in the world by far''.
    Get off his cock.

You tell me to "get off his cock" yet you are praising the biggest failure of this worldcup as if he can do no wrong! Messi is an overhyped mutant.. I'm delighted he was found out at this world cup.
    Maybe casual football fans such as yourself will learn that players like iniesta will you games & competitions

• Advertisement

Nope, Muller does.

Wins it with 3 assists.

Do you know do the bookies operate on the same basis or just pay out for top scorer? As their market is for 'top scorer' doesn't mention anything about assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Delighted for Spain and particularly for Casillas, Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta.

Feel sorry for Robben, he had chances and thats two big losses this year for him.

Stekelenburg is probably the player that has raised his value the most out of the two teams in the final, nothing he could do about the winner but he was superb all through the tournament.

Nope Muller gets the golden boot if its tied on goals it goes on assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

noodler wrote: »
    Agreed.

The ref should have played the match rather than the ocassion though - if a foul is worthy of a card then you give it.

Don't think he could have.The match would probably have been abandoned then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Muller gets the boot anyways, delighted :)

I said Golden Ball not Boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

No, Mueller get's it. 5 goals and 3 assists. Villa - 5 goals, one assist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

That was an embarrassment to the sport. Awful game, two cheating teams, just all-around horrible.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Do you know do the bookies operate on the same basis or just pay out for top scorer? As their market is for 'top scorer' doesn't mention anything about assists.

Im not sure to be honest,

I'd say there would be a case for claiming on all who were on 5 to be honest,

but the bookies might have some smallprint somewhere knowing them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Howard was spot on. The only fault he made was he didn't send di jong off after his shocking tackle on Alonso. It very much reminded me of Bolton v Arsenal all Holland did was kick players all night long. And i was delighted spain stuck it to them..

ragg wrote: »
    Messi is an overhyped mutant.. I'm delighted he was found out at this world cup.

Messi found out?

Come off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

There's a lot of shite gracing the last 10 or so pages of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think I agree with opinion that the 2 teams were fairly disgusting. Kicking v diving. Horrible game and won't do anything to convince non fans to continue watching the sport

Nah just goes to show international football sucks!

By the way, whatever we think of the final or tournament...

... that trophy is still sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I don't expect people who research the Germans by watching Bayern in the CL to go beyond level 1 analysis in fairness.

Get off that tired horse. They have consistently analysed the games better than anybody else.

Torres walking fine without support and smiling...crisis averted i think...

Eagle Eye said Ball not Boot

Think he was luring us all into making mistakes.

see my edit mr eagle eye, i corrected before you caught me ;)

• Advertisement

#15 wrote: »
    Messi found out?

Come off it.

In terms of hype of Vs end result, him and rooney were bottom of the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

elius wrote: »
    Howard was spot on. The only fault he made was he didn't send di jong off after his shocking tackle on Alonso. It very much reminded me of Bolton v Arsenal all Holland did was kick players all night long. And i was delighted spain stuck it to them..

And all Spain done in the second half was dive, hold up imaginary cards, and cynically foul players as they broke through.

Great stuff!

elius wrote: »
    Howard was spot on. The only fault he made was he didn't send di jong off after his shocking tackle on Alonso.

There was a questionable free, which i think was a free before the spanish move to score.

And he missed a stonewall corner not too long before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It was end to end. No one team exclusively dominated but both had super chances to win it themselves.

I'm not sure what else end to end could mean.

Three chances each over 90 mins, one each over extra time. That is not end to end. The Netherland's chances were not even created from a moment of brilliance, they were simply route one chances. If you had a consistent flow of chances, or balls off the post, missed penalties, well saved free kicks, then I would be open to classing it as "end to end". It was not

The game was stop start. It was obliterated by a team which was not remotely interested in playing football. The Spanish were too conservative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Congratulations to New Zealand - the only unbeaten team of the 2010 World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

After Ireland I'll be pulling for Germany in the Euro's.

In terms of hype of Vs end result, him and rooney were bottom of the list

Yes, the rest of their careers and their previous achievements count for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Disappointing WC Final. Reflects all that is poor about football.

Get off that tired horse. They have consistently analysed the games better than anybody else.
    Yes - but they still have their prejudices, same as me, you and anyone else.

I just happen to think that they've over-simplified this into "Spain = beautiful game", "Holland = cheating cloggers".

• Advertisement

Pique looked confused as fuck there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

n_valencia_varios-21434.jpg

#15 wrote: »
    Yes, the rest of their careers and their previous achievements count for nothing.

Iniesta, has achieved more than both of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The commentators and their "victory for football" rubbish is getting annoying. Spain played well in 1 game in the entire tournament, scraping through with set piece headers and penos! Is this their 4th 1-0 in a row? Arsenal from the early 90's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

660 grand apiece?

sure id make that turning turf below in the bog

Puyol has achieved more than Iniesta, what's your point?

You said Messi was found out as a player. That's not true at all.

• Advertisement

Personally thought Xavi had a better tournament than Iniesta..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

noodler wrote: »
    Agreed.

As fanciful an idea as that is it'll never work. Footballers are by and large stupid and keep doing things that are guaranteed to get punished.

Players like Iniesta are physically inferior to nearly everyone else so they may resort to "cheating" at an early age to gain an equal standing. This is then encouraged by coaches and manifests itself over the coming years.

The same is true of players like Van Bommell. He's a tough, no nonsense son of a bitch and uses this to his advantage. It has to be tackled at an early age and it isn't up to a referee on the biggest stage of all to implement rules. It has to start at a grassroots level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Odds are divided by 5...not too bad if you had Forlan though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Yes - but they still have their prejudices, same as me, you and anyone else.

I just happen to think that they've over-simplified this into "Spain = beautiful game", "Holland = cheating cloggers".

They have said that this was an awful advertisement of football and blamed both teams. Spain were the lesser of two evils tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Sergio Busquets with a World Cup Winners medal holding the World Cup aloft on a lap of honour. Most depressing thing I have seen in years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement