Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland -v- Spain - World Cup Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah delighted for Forlán. One of the most honest players you'll ever see. If only he had arrived at United a few years later and he could have been a real force for them. What a man

Also the only fella who managed to control the Jabulani in the whole tournament. For that alone he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

pssst keep talking psst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Brady backed Holland. Maybe that's why he's so pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Now what am I supposed to do for 4 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The winner for the RTE competition just won a trip for 2 to any of the 32 worlc cup countries.
    He surely has to pick North Korea!

• Advertisement

Now what am I supposed to do for 4 years?

Save up for a trip to Brazil in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Stinicker wrote: »
    Disgusting result for a disgusting team, Gutted for Holland, they played hard and in the 2nd half when they played well they were great, Spain typically only won on half attempts and while we spoke of Greece in '04 this takes it to a new level. Holland were hardly dirty their ""tackles" were hardly nothing and the referee single handedly handed Spain the title, if Holland had 22 players the ref and fifa would still have handed Spain the title. It was the worst tournament ever but one Ireland could have done well enough if had we not been cheated by Henry.

For me Holland and Germany were the true winners having defeated both Brazil and Argentina respectivly.

A sad day when a few lads built like 14 year old boys can play like this and ruin a world tournament.

Roll on 2014 and Brazil and the Copacabana where we will see some real football and maybe Ireland might get a chance to go.

I've seen some posts in my time here that have pushed the boundaries of ridiculousness far but that definitely ranks very highly up there.

I'm not even going to bother dissecting it because I'd be here all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

namloc1980 wrote: »

This is what I'm doing. I hope we make it. Even if we don't I'm still going. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

That will be some party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interesting stat - New Zealand are the only team to emerge from this World Cup unbeaten.

• Advertisement

Interesting stat - New Zealand are the only team to emerge from this World Cup unbeaten.

The real world champions :P

Hahaha, last line on RTE's world cup coverage on Sepp Blatter.

"He should be ashamed of himself"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Also the only fella who managed to control the Jabulani in the whole tournament. For that alone he deserves it.

Exactly I'm sick of saying it now. Can't believe people were complaining about how lucky his goals were. His free-kick and corner deliveries were exceptional. Doesn't get nearly as much credit as he should. Two Pichichis and two European Golden Shoe winner and now tonights accolades. Just a brilliant player all round and delighted to see him get acknowledged after the terrible treatment he got in England from the media and United supporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What sickens me most is this pretty much guarantees Champions league for Barca for next few seasons....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

L'prof wrote: »
    Odds are divided by 5...not too bad if you had Forlan though!

I got paid out for Diego :D
    Het-Field wrote: »
    Three chances each over 90 mins, one each over extra time. That is not end to end. The Netherland's chances were not even created from a moment of brilliance, they were simply route one chances. If you had a consistent flow of chances, or balls off the post, missed penalties, well saved free kicks, then I would be open to classing it as "end to end". It was not

The game was stop start. It was obliterated by a team which was not remotely interested in playing football. The Spanish were too conservative

Four chances each overall? Bollox

Spain: Ramos header x2, Fabregas one on one, Villa side net, Navas deflected effort wide, Inisesta denied by Gio Van B's tackle.

Holland: Heitinga header, Mathijsen header, Robben shots saved x2, Sneijder free kick saved.

There were 11 shots on target (31 overall) - Spain 6, Holland 5 (18 v 13 overall)

There were 15 corners - Spain 8, Holland 6

And possession was 44% to 56% in favour of Spain.

It was end to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

the_monkey wrote: »
    What sickens me most is this pretty much guarantees Champions league for Barca for next few seasons....

Celebrate the beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Stinicker wrote: »
    Disgusting result for a disgusting team, Gutted for Holland, they played hard and in the 2nd half when they played well they were great, Spain typically only won on half attempts and while we spoke of Greece in '04 this takes it to a new level. Holland were hardly dirty their ""tackles" were hardly nothing and the referee single handedly handed Spain the title, if Holland had 22 players the ref and fifa would still have handed Spain the title. It was the worst tournament ever but one Ireland could have done well enough if had we not been cheated by Henry.

For me Holland and Germany were the true winners having defeated both Brazil and Argentina respectivly.

A sad day when a few lads built like 14 year old boys can play like this and ruin a world tournament.

Roll on 2014 and Brazil and the Copacabana where we will see some real football and maybe Ireland might get a chance to go.

Are you seriously comparing this Spain team to Greece in 04?

That's embarrassing tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Competition winner: "Woohoo, I won the prize, i'm going to go to Australia, have a great time.... But, err, how do I get back?"

RTE Employee: "Pay your own way back, and you have to take Liam with you for the 2 weeks, and pay for him too."

Exactly I'm sick of saying it now. Can't believe people were complaining about how lucky his goals were. His free-kick and corner deliveries were exceptional. Doesn't get nearly as much credit as he should. Two Pichichis and two European Golden Shoe winner and now tonights accolades. Just a brilliant player all round and delighted to see him get acknowledged after the terrible treatment he got in England from the media and United supporters

Super player and a very honest fella....none of the histrionics and playacting of so many others. Delighted for him.

Just a brilliant player all round and delighted to see him get acknowledged after the terrible treatment he got in England from the media and United supporters

:confused:

What terrible treatment? He got terrific treatment considering the form he displayed. The fans were always behind him.

• Advertisement

Congrats Spain, deserved to win it. Before this WC, I had seriously doubted them and labelled them "bottlers". They proved me way off and that tag of choking on the big stage is gone forever. They were undoubtably the best team in the tournament and seemed to win it with a bit in hand. Class team and credit where credit is due.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Spain the greatest football team of all time.

Forlan won the golden ball

WTF? How come Casillas didn't get it? Is the vote decided before the final, after the 3rd place play off???

Casillas was instrumental in getting Spain to the final, and winning it. Forlan was good, but he didn't decide the destination of the world cup half as much as Casillas IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Congrats Spain. Best team won.

CorkMan wrote: »
    WTF? How come Casillas didn't get it? Is the vote decided before the final, after the 3rd place play off???

Casillas was instrumental in getting Spain to the final, and winning it. Forlan was good, but he didn't decide the destination of the world cup half as much as Casillas IMO.

The golden ball isn't about deciding the destination of the world cup

:confused:

What terrible treatment? He got terrific treatment considering the form he displayed. The fans were always behind him.

Sorry don't know how that one got in there. I meant it more the treatment he would get from other fans although he did put it in the Scouser's net so he's guaranteed legendary status for life in the red half of Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Not a great final but I don't mind, I backed Spain to win 1-0 after extra time at 25/1 so I'm a happy camper, nice late birthday pressie on behalf of the Spanish national team!

Sorry don't know how that one got in there. I meant it more the treatment he would get from other fans although he did put it in the Scouser's net so he's guaranteed legendary status for life in the red half of Manchester

I'd really love him back at United. Won't happen though. Wonder if Fergie now ranks him above Stam on his list of players he wishes he never sold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The shortlist is compiled by Fifa, then a media select vote for the winner,

2nd and 3rd were a surprise too,

1st Diego Forlan
    2nd Alexis Sánchez
    3rd Felipe Melo

• Advertisement

The golden ball isn't about deciding the destination of the world cup

Well IMO Forlan shouldn't have got it. He finished 4th, and I don't think a player in the team who finished 4th should win player of the tournament. Cannavaro won it in 2006, he played with Italy. Kahn alright for Germany when they finished 2nd, but Zidane before that for France. I wonder how far back you'd have to go to find a 4th position player getting the golden ball?

What if a player from an 8th placed team won the golden ball, we'd all have our hands up.
    The shortlist is compiled by Fifa, then a media select vote for the winner,

2nd and 3rd were a surprise too,

1st Diego Forlan
    2nd Alexis Sánchez
    3rd Felipe Melo

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well IMO Forlan shouldn't have got it. He finished 4th, and I don't think a player in the team who finished 4th should win player of the tournament. Cannavaro won it in 2006, he played with Italy. Kahn alright for Germany when they finished 2nd, but Zidane before that for France. I wonder how far back you'd have to go to find a 4th position player getting the golden ball?

What if a player from an 8th placed team won the golden ball, we'd all have our hands up.

Not really if a player deserved it to be honest.

Forlan deserved it, he was immense.

Put it this way anyways, did the best player in the world for you finish on the winning team in the World Cup? The best player does not always have to have performed in the best team, for instance, and what happened, it could be a good player, who performed great in a team that were not expected to finsh 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So who would you have given it to?

I fail to see the logic in giving it to a player only involved in the final

I'd really love him back at United. Won't happen though. Wonder if Fergie now ranks him above Stam on his list of players he wishes he never sold...

Oh I'd definitely say so. Imagine what he'd give for someone who could knock in 32 goals in a season. Don't think he'd work out with Rooney up front though. It'd be either or. Incredible to think he's 31, it seems only the other day that he was playing for us.

I said before the tournament I was going to get the jersey of the winning team. Now I'm going to get the Uruguayan one with Forlán 10 on the back with the money I won backing him for top scorer. What a man

You just made an ass of yourself. Zidane won it in 2006 and Ronaldo in 1998. Schillacci won it in 1990 and he finished third. Eejit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Congratulations Spain. Well deserved.

I don't understand people moaning about Spanish diving. What else are you supposed to do if a team is just out there to try break legs and chests?

Exactly. If teams go out with an attitude like Holland, take your medicine.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Competition winner: "Woohoo, I won the prize, i'm going to go to Australia, have a great time.... But, err, how do I get back?"

RTE Employee: "Pay your own way back, and you have to take Liam with you for the 2 weeks, and pay for him too."

"I'm going on a free HOLIDAY, BIIIIIIIL.":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Well played Spain. Deserved the win

So who would you have given it to?

I fail to see the logic in giving it to a player only involved in the final

Casillas IMO. Kept Spain in the tournament against Paraguay, always gave the back 4 confidence. He kept Spain in the final against Holland by making a stunning save, then a good save in the same half. He was magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Muller won the best young player and Casillas won best keeper.

No surprises there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Casillas IMO. Kept Spain in the tournament against Paraguay, always gave the back 4 confidence. He kept Spain in the final against Holland by making a stunning save, then a good save in the same half. He was magnificent.

Terrible for the goal against Switzerland though and Villa was probably more important for Spain winning.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Terrible for the goal against Switzerland though and Villa was probably more important for Spain winning.

But he dragged them to the title in the final. A player could have had a superb first game, out of this world, yet the team could still finish last in the group stage.

Anyone know who got MOTM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes he was and what relevance has that got to a player who only got to the SF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

But he dragged them to the title in the final. A player could have had a superb first game, out of this world, yet the team could still finish last in the group stage.

It's for the best player in the whole tournament though.Casillas didn't exactly make brilliant saves in every match and keep Spain in it.He did it for the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Iniesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

tolosenc wrote: »
    OK - bets are placed.

Holland 11/4
    Holland 3 - 1 Spain 40/1
    van Bommel not to get shown a card 31/6
    Spaniard to be sent off 8/1
    Kuyt 1st scorer 11/1
    Sneijder MoM 5/1
    Draw/Holland 7/1

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

Just lol :D:D

Well done Spain, deserved winners.

Holland, once again EXTREMELY lucky to finish 90 minutes with 11 men. At least they were shown 1 red card, though to a player I wouldn;t have expected, for two fairly innocuous tackles.

How on earth Van Bommel and De Jong lasted the game I'll never know, only Mr. Webb knows that.

Either way, the right team one, the best team one.

I'm happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Holland made me a Spain fan tonight. Says a lot about the game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Spain made me a Holland fan tonight.
    I don't know how anyone with any integrity can favour the sort of person who willfully throws himself over at every opportunity over one who gets stuck in in full view of the officials.

Spain made me a Holland fan tonight.
    I don't know how anyone with any integrity can favour the sort of person who willfully throws himself over at every opportunity over one who gets stuck in in full view of the officials.

Who threw themselves over?

• Advertisement
Advertisement