Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland -v- Spain - World Cup Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Spain v Holland....would love Holland to win, but this could well turn out to be a murder scene, with the spanish holding a smoking gun in the form of any number of players. Cant see how the dutch will be able to "get at them" any where on the field..set peices and that's about it...Cant see Holland been let get away with any jcb tackles either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

It depends on the ref I reckon

If Van Bommel and De Jong are allowed to hack players like they have done all tournament then the Dutch might sneak it

If Van Bommel or De Jong are carded early (likely imo and I will probably put money on it) then Spain will take it by a couple of goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

FIFA have to pick a strong referee for the final otherwise they know they could well get lambasted.

The officials well be aware of Van Bommels reckless tackles as officials are made to review the games afterwards with a FIFA refereeing official and surely the other officials have more than likely watched the games on tv.

World cup final is a referee's biggest privilege also so I doubt he wants to look like a soft fool.

Not sure... but I think it could be an all English line up regarding match officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a World Cup final as much as I'm looking forward to this one. Feel sorry for these football fans who can't seem to enjoy watching Spain and seeing a new country crowned World Champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

It depends on the ref I reckon

If Van Bommel and De Jong are allowed to hack players like they have done all tournament then the Dutch might sneak it

If Van Bommel or De Jong are carded early (likely imo and I will probably put money on it) then Spain will take it by a couple of goals

That would require Spain actually putting away their chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its incredible that Holland still have a 100% record all the way through qualifying and the World Cup finals.

I think we could be underestimating them again. I think they will set up very defensively but I can't help but think that every time Robben gets the ball there is huge danger. On the other side of the field Kuyt is just the type of guy thats a nightmare for Ramos.

Busquets vs Sneijder is another very interesting matchup. Both have been superb in this tournament.

I think Villa should start in that left forward position, Van der Wiel hasn't looked good in the knockout stages imo and Villa has been just devastating playing in that position.

Van Bommel and De Jong could be in big trouble in this game, you just won't get away with late tackles on Xavi and Iniesta.

redout wrote: »
    FIFA have to pick a strong referee for the final otherwise they know they could well get lambasted.

The officials well be aware of Van Bommels reckless tackles as officials are made to review the games afterwards with a FIFA refereeing official and surely the other officials have more than likely watched the games on tv.

World cup final is a referee's biggest privilege also so I doubt he wants to look like a soft fool.
    To true..you would think as well they will be looking for a match that's the closest example of the "beautiful game"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The Final with the 2 teams I really wanted to see in it from the start of the tournament.

We'll defo get a new World Cup winner no matter who wins.

Both teams have played very well to this point, though completely contrasting styles.

Can't wait for it :)

Prediction, Spain to win by 1 goal. Probably 2-1. I do think the Dutch wil score.

Hopefully Holland don't park the bus - I don't think they will anyway, and hopefully some good football from both teams, and Van Bommel to finally get his comeuppance!

Some good bets on PPower btw:

MOTM: Xavi 4/1, Iniesta 13/2, Sneijder 5/1

Van Bommel to be sent off 16/1 :D

ultain wrote: »
    Not sure... but I think it could be an all English line up regarding match officials.

If Howard Webb gets the nod then the chances of Vam Bommel being cautioned or possibly sent off will definitely increase. Webb will let things slide but when it gets nasty he doesnt hesitiate to brandish a card.

• Advertisement

Sounds like Stekelenburg will be out

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Have you a link for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

howard webb is the confirmed ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

_Bella_ wrote: »

cortisone, morphine, heroin ffs

whatever it takes he'll be on the pitch for the WC final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I've nothing but respect for Van Bommel's behaviour in the world cup, very much in the mould of Claudio Gentile in 82. He's taken advantage of some seriously incompetent refereing. I'm sure he'd alter his game if he was booked early in the final and not the liabilty to get sent off people are making him out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Webb will take no crap I'd say. England in the World Cup final after all! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Webb's wikipedia page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Webb

I don't think van Bommel will be getting away with his heavy tackles. Webb booked him in the Champions League Final as it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I've nothing but respect for Van Bommel's behaviour in the world cup, very much in the mould of Claudio Gentile in 82. He's taken advantage of some seriously incompetent refereing. I'm sure he'd alter his game if he was booked early in the final and not the liabilty to get sent off people are making him out to be.

He probably would alter his game if he was booked early, he would have to in order to remain on the pitch, but if he alters his game, I don't think he will hold nearly as much influence as he has done in previous matches

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    howard webb is the confirmed ref

G'wan Webb - LoL Van Bommel

Webb has dished out 17 yellows in his 3 World cup matches in South Africa thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

G'wan Webb - LoL Van Bommel

Webb has dished out 17 yellows in his 3 World cup matches in South Africa thus far.

Do you know what kind of support Spain are getting in the 'less-Spanish' regions, in particular Barcelona?

Given how Barca-reliant the team is, a bit of an interesting dynamic may have been created. I thought I'd ask you as you generally seem to be up to date with all things Spanish.

I cannot remember if it was Italy v Slovakia, or Brazil v Chile, but Webb and his assistants had a really excellent game.

He's defo one of FIFA's top choices now. Chamions League and WC Final in the same year.

Fair play to him.

carlop wrote: »
    Do you know what kind of support Spain are getting in the 'less-Spanish' regions, in particular Barcelona?

Given how Barca-reliant the team is, a bit of an interesting dynamic may have been created. I thought I'd ask you as you generally seem to be up to date with all things Spanish.

I cant give first hand experience as I am back home since december.

From reading the Spanish papers daily I can tell you they praise the Barca players regularly and recognise Xavi and Iniesta as vitally important - No bias shown against them.

Sure they were calling for Valdes to be given a starting role in the leadup to the tournament - I think they dont care so much about what region they just want the team to win and recognise the Barca players have a big role to play.

Puyol received plenty of plaudits this morning as you would imagine - met the queen last night in the nip :pac: "Puyo,Puyo" the lads well ripped into him.

When it comes to la liga I can tell you there aint no love less between the Madrileños and the Barcelonés.

The cafeteria below my apartment would regularly errupt everytime Barca concede no matter who they play.

Most Catalans will cheer on La Selección and why shouldnt they - they make up half the team! - in fact 7 of the 11 last night.

Confirmed that Spain will play in their all blue away kit (hate that one, love their home strip though).

Also reported that Busquets' and Pedros's hotel rooms were robbed before the semi final.

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote: »
    Confirmed that Spain will play in their all blue away kit (hate that one, love their home strip though).

Also reported that Busquets' and Pedros's hotel rooms were robbed before the semi final.

I read that they will change into the red strip should they win so as to receive the trophy in their famous colours.

Also worth mentioning that whoever wins on Sunday will become the first European side to win a World Cup outside of Europe.

I don't think it's much of a big deal, just feel like reminding all those who predicted Brazil to win it based on this and their whole ''history''.

The Spanish goalkeeping situation is a weird one. Three world class keepers and all with good claims to be the Spanish no.1. Casillas is no longer the best Spanish keeper imo but he is vastly experienced at international level and has been the no.1 for a long time now, I think Reina is the best Spanish keeper now and he has plenty of experience between the sticks for Spain but has never been the no.1 choice. Valdes is another class act imo and while I'd have him behind Reina and Casillas in talent which is no knock on the man, he would probably make most sense as the Spanish no.1 given that Puyol and Pique are the starting centrebacks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I always thought that was a stupid statistic though they'll no doubt adjust it to 'never won outside their time zone' now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Spanish goalkeeping situation is a weird one. Three world class keepers and all with good claims to be the Spanish no.1. Casillas is no longer the best Spanish keeper imo but he is vastly experienced at international level and has been the no.1 for a long time now, I think Reina is the best Spanish keeper now and he has plenty of experience between the sticks for Spain but has never been the no.1 choice. Valdes is another class act imo and while I'd have him behind Reina and Casillas in talent which is no knock on the man, he would probably make most sense as the Spanish no.1 given that Puyol and Pique are the starting centrebacks.

While they all have their merits, indeed on form I'd have Reina ahead of Casillas, I don't think they should consider changing it. No need to shake things up now.

That aside, it's a moot point as there is no way Casillas will be dropped. The Spanish adore him, watching the match in town yesterday in the Living Room and they chanted his name regardless of whether he was flapping at a cross or making a good save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

G'wan Webb

well at least one englishman got to the final;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Webb has to be balanced. He can't go booking the Dutch players for hard tackles and then leave the Spanish to their springboard competition. Both are notorious. Bitta ball and man and we'll be OK.

I can imagine Apres Match at halftime.

They show a replay of a good save by the Uruguayan keeper and Bill will say 'that was close wasn't it?', and hopefully they have Souness and he will jump in and say 'no that was Klose Bill' then Dunphy jumps in with 'Greyam you haven't a clue, that was Muller der' and Souness will come back with 'haven't a clue? where did you manage?'...........................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Think England in 66 were the last team to win the final in away colours.

Maybe not a good sign for Spain then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Think England in 66 were the last team to win the final in away colours.

Maybe not a good sign for Spain then!

Don't think England won Euro 64 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Howard Webb to referee this game.

Great achievement for him TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

CorkMan wrote: »

WTF?? You even quoted 66??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Paul has picked Spain. That's that.

Paul has picked Spain. That's that.

Seriousy who cares ? I thought he only predicted Germany games - also heard that he predicted the final of Euro 2008 incorrectly. I have read hat he predicted Germany to beat Uruguay.

• Advertisement

Seriousy who cares?

I care.

I care.

you superstitious ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Paul the Octopus probably has a price on his head at this stage. This his first match not involving Germany? Could see him getting kidnapped by the mob soon :pac: Wonder if he's any good at the horses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you superstitious ?

or maybe, just maybe, he's having a bit of fun with it?

SlickRic wrote: »
    or maybe, just maybe, he's having a bit of fun with it?

Perhaps but I take it with a pinch of salt considering the thing has been wrong in the past.

Perhaps but I take it with a pinch of salt considering the thing has been wrong in the past.

It's a fúcking octopus. It can't really predict games.

It's a fúcking octopus. It can't really predict games.

Though many believe it does :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lemon, cordiander and a dash of tabasco too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Though many believe it does :eek:

if anyone actually does, then they need committed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

CorkMan wrote: »

Which came before World Cup 66. :rolleyes:

Advertisement