Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland -v- Spain - World Cup Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Paul has a better record than the RTE panel put together :eek: :pac: I wonder is his tank salt water or fresh...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

1278669100_extras_portada_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Game over.

Experienced Octopus picks Spain, newcomer Parakeet, trying to jump on the bandwagon of strange creatures predicting WC games picks Holland.

Spain will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

redout wrote: »

....prick :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Paul may have gotten himself in too deep!

As for his prediction and the parakeet, I'm backing Paul

Vamos Espana

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mr Moon wrote: »

The Washington post can't even 'predict' the past - this is the first World Cup final for both teams, according to them.

The Washington post can't even 'predict' the past - this is the first World Cup final for both teams, according to them.

Let alone the fact they have a section called United/Soccer

Do they only post news about Man U?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

CorkMan wrote: »
    Don't think England won Euro 64 ;)

I'm just saying Spain are a superb side having won Euro 2008, and then getting to this world cup final. The previous poster implied the shirts were bad luck for England, but I don't think so for Spain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

redout wrote: »

*puts down €500,000 for Spain to win*

• Advertisement

CorkMan wrote: »
    I'm just saying Spain are a superb side having won Euro 2008, and then getting to this world cup final. The previous poster implied the shirts were bad luck for England, but I don't think so for Spain :)

No, it was implied the away shirts were good luck for England, but that noone since has won the WC in their away kit, so maybe bad luck for Spain.

I still don't get the '64 reference... (Incidentally, Ireland were hammered 7-1 on aggregate in the 1/4 final by Spain in that tournament)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    ....prick :(

8 legged Prick !

I fear the final will be ruined by a sending off ..**cough Van Bommell

Surely Howard Webb has seen him in the last 2 Holland games , not only should he not have been on the pitch for the Uruguay game , but he should have been sent off aswell .

If he tries the same antics in this game I am sure Webb will send him off .

Cue Headline: "Octosussed" Paul deciphers beautiful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

mixednuts wrote: »
    I fear the final will be ruined by a sending off ..**cough Van Bommell

Surely Howard Webb has seen him in the last 2 Holland games , not only should he not have been on the pitch for the Uruguay game , but he should have been sent off aswell .

If he tries the same antics in this game I am sure Webb will send him off .

Van Bommel tackles hard, nothing wrong with that. He had a couple of bad tackles and certainly deserved a booking against Uruguay.

Capdevila should have been sent home for his antics in the Portugal match.

Puyol, Piqué, and Ramos are all likely candidates for yellow cards. Hopefully Webb will take a stand against people like Iniesta for diving anytime someone breathes near him. I don't think we'll se a red, but if there is one, I can see it coming for a Spaniard.

My money would be on Ramos. It's overdue. van Bommel has been steeped in luck to have escaped this far too.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Van Bommel tackles hard, nothing wrong with that. .

Bull**** ..I like a good tackle myself bit this fella takes the biscuit .
    Not only is he fouling but giving verbal afterwards .

Check out 1:02 :rolleyes:

Both of them were late, and he was stronger. Didn't take anyone from behind, didn't get studs in the ankle. Just because he's bigger than the guys he tackles, doesn't mean it's a foul (they were though, as they were late). In the second one, v.Bommel doesn't give verbal, in fact it's the Stuttgart players that start on him and he walks away.

Both of them were late, and he was stronger. Didn't take anyone from behind, didn't get studs in the ankle. Just because he's bigger than the guys he tackles, doesn't mean it's a foul (they were though, as they were late). In the second one, v.Bommel doesn't give verbal, in fact it's the Stuttgart players that start on him and he walks away.

Pick any game in this WC that Van Bommel has played, and he's made tackles as bad and worse. EVERY EFFING game.

In the second one, VB tried to be a smart arse by grabbing the guy by the balls, right in front of the ref, looking for a reaction, which he got, and got the other guy booked.

He's a scumbag.

You can even go back to the last WC and he was as bad.

Both of them were late, and he was stronger. Didn't take anyone from behind, didn't get studs in the ankle.

Mate no offense but do you play ?

Van Bommell in the 1st vid was showing the studs full stop . There is absolutely no need to have his foot so high at the point of contact , he knew what he was doing , and should have been sent off or yellow at a min .

On the second vid ..I didnt post to show his verbal (thats happening at this WC) but did you see the twist to the nuts 1:02 in ?

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Cue Headline: "Octosussed" Paul deciphers beautiful game.

And "octopissed" as he gets it wrong and a load of punters lose their shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Both of them were late, and he was stronger. Didn't take anyone from behind, didn't get studs in the ankle. Just because he's bigger than the guys he tackles, doesn't mean it's a foul (they were though, as they were late).

Crazy stuff. The first one is a leg breaker if he catches him a different way. Also there was a gem of a tackle in the CL against Fiorentina that should have been red aswell. Over the top of the ball studs up. I've no problem with hard tackles but this guy doesn't know how to tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

The thing with Van Bommel is that he'll push it as much as he can. His primary job on the pitch is to give his opposite midfielders less time on the ball and make them rush decisions.
    This has to be the biggest head-to-head in the final. If Webb allows Van Bommel do has he has been doing in previous rounds, then the Spanish midfield will be up against it.
    However if he finds himself in the book early he will take it down a notch otherwise he'll be taking a bath before half-time

The thing with Van Bommel is that he'll push it as much as he can. His primary job on the pitch is to give his opposite midfielders less time on the ball and make them rush decisions.
    This has to be the biggest head-to-head in the final. If Webb allows Van Bommel do has he has been doing in previous rounds, then the Spanish midfield will be up against it.
    However if he finds himself in the book early he will take it down a notch otherwise he'll be taking a bath before half-time

Mate Iniesta & Xavi are to quick footed for him . If he tries that shoite with them he will be in the book in the 1st 5 mins , and off by half time .

Will be interesting to see him get frustrated but ..heres hoping :p

mixednuts wrote: »
    Mate Iniesta & Xavi are to quick footed for him . If he tries that shoite with them he will be in the book in the 1st 5 mins , and off by half time .

Will be interesting to see him get frustrated but ..heres hoping :p

Well if you look at Iniesta in particular in the Germany game. Nearly everytime the ball was played up the wing to him, he'd sneak just in ahead of Schweinsteiger, use his strength to hold him back, then attempt a quick turn, knowing the boot was going in and he'd win a foul.

He must have done it 5 or 6 times. He'll do it against VB too - and VB will be booked early. I'd almost guarantee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm going for a Holland win...
    will be interesting to hear Giles & Dunphy ranting on about how Kuyt & Van Bommel shouldn't be allowed touch the WC trophy :D

Prufrock wrote: »
    Crazy stuff. The first one is a leg breaker if he catches him a different way. Also there was a gem of a tackle in the CL against Fiorentina that should have been red aswell. Over the top of the ball studs up. I've no problem with hard tackles but this guy doesn't know how to tackle.

Re watching the 1st one. Did he catch the guys left leg? I cant make it out. That's awful if he did.

@mixednuts: It was more like a tap towards the hip. Gamesmanship. You've never discussed the guy your marking's girlfriend's performance from the night before? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lol @ people standing up for Van Bommel's recklessness. While at Barca I liked him, but even then I couldn't excuse some of his behaviour. He's the kind of player you love when he plays for you, and detest when against, but you cannot make any argument on him playing the game fairly. He cheats, but gets away with it, fair play to him for honing his game in such a way, but you're blind if you think he plays fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Van Bommel tackles hard, nothing wrong with that. He had a couple of bad tackles and certainly deserved a booking against Uruguay.

Capdevila should have been sent home for his antics in the Portugal match.

Puyol, Piqué, and Ramos are all likely candidates for yellow cards. Hopefully Webb will take a stand against people like Iniesta for diving anytime someone breathes near him. I don't think we'll se a red, but if there is one, I can see it coming for a Spaniard.

This post reeks of an anti Spanish vibe.

Van Bommel has been disgusting all the way through this tournament and somehow has escaped being sent off. Tackles hard, ha, nice one!

You can quite easily list Dutch players who are likely candidates for yellows, like De Jong and Van Bommel who can be pretty cynical and as for calling Iniesta for diving I give you one of the worlds worst for the Dutch in Arjen Robben. I can see it coming from Dutch player just as easily.

You see, its pretty easy to label the same accusations at both teams.

The anti Spanish thing from a lot of people on here is just sad at this stage (not just relating to you here OP)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Guess what lads, both sides have more than one player that I'd laugh my hole off if they get sent off, and worse still both teams have players who are fond of the aul diving too.

Personally I'd get a right kick out of seeing Van Bommel and Busquets bursting each other with a two footed challenge, only to be sent off not for the tackles but for feigning injury.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    Guess what lads, both sides have more than one player that I'd laugh my hole off if they get sent off, and worse still both teams have players who are fond of the aul diving too.

Personally I'd get a right kick out of seeing Van Bommel and Busquets bursting each other with a two footed challenge, only to be sent off not for the tackles but for feigning injury.:pac:

I reckon if Va Bommel & Busquets went two footed at each other, they would both disappear in a flash of light. It would be like a mater/anti-matter reaction.

Would make for a better game.

10 v 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

No, it was implied the away shirts were good luck for England, but that noone since has won the WC in their away kit, so maybe bad luck for Spain.

I still don't get the '64 reference... (Incidentally, Ireland were hammered 7-1 on aggregate in the 1/4 final by Spain in that tournament)

I guess Spain wore their away kit in Euro 64 final...so he is saying it is not bad luck for them.

the_monkey wrote: »

Welcome to this morning :D
    I guess Spain wore their away kit in Euro 64 final...so he is saying it is not bad luck for them.

But we're talking about the World Cup?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

I Have prepared my self for a Spanish win on Sunday...I would love to see Holland lift the cup..but really, there's no way they will beat Spain, any attack by Holland will come with the extreme danger of Spain countering..one pass and they can be in on goal! this has to be in the dutch players minds, which can lead to mistakes..if Holland can win this one I'll gladly eat my dog!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I hope Spain win it for financial reasons but really this has been a bore of a WC which is reflected in the 2 finalists who have been 2 of the main contributors to this borefest. Holland are simply awful to watch whereas Spain are definitely more attractive but apart from the last game they too have been awful. This has a 1-0 Spain win written all over it. Roll on Brazil 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Holland will find it tough to get the ball , I think Spain will win comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But we're talking about the World Cup?? :confused:

I know that but I was attempting to say what I assumed CorkMan was talking about given that Spain have won a tournament in an away kit. It is not that confusing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

luckily none of its readers will be any the wiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Somehow in our work predicton thingy, i chose these 2 as finalists. As well as picking Germany to come 3rd...(did have England 4th tho...so i am no expert!!)

Even after all this if Holland win on Sunday, I lose out by 2 overall pts due to not predicting winner. If Spain win I win the pot plus maybe a 50 bonus thrown out there by the boss(which i bet he never thought he'd have to do!!) if anyone could predict top 3. Germany win + Spain win and i'm laughing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

event wrote: »
    howard webb is the confirmed ref

Eamon Dunphy called Webb a dope on the radio this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

91803197_facebook_van_bommel_clean_800.jpg

inforfun wrote: »
    91803197_facebook_van_bommel_clean_800.jpg

link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

link?

A dutch website. It is a screenshot posted on www.dumpert.nl
    And a joke of course.

World Cup final: even destructive Mark Van Bommel will not halt Spain, says Alan Hansen
    Mark Van Bommel can be nasty and cynical, a player who only sets out to be destructive, but he is probably the first name on the team-sheet for Holland manager Bert van Marwijk.

The problem for the Dutch against Spain in Sunday's World Cup final, however, is that their captain could be exposed and taken out of the game completely if he continues to play on the edge against the likes of Xavi and Andrés Iniesta.

For all the flair of Wesley Sneijder, Arjen Robben and Robin van Persie, Holland need protection somewhere, and that is precisely what Van Bommel provides by shielding the back four and attempting to destroy everything that threatens his defence and goalkeeper.

There is an open debate over Van Bommel's contribution to this World Cup, but every team needs a player who can successfully play the role of holding midfielder.

Van Bommel offers no craft or artistry, though, and he is not a great passer of the ball. When you compare him to Spain's Xabi Alonso, it is like comparing night and day. Yet for all his faults and the criticism that has come his way, Van Bommel is an integral part of the Dutch team that will face Spain at Soccer City.

Some might argue that Van Bommel's type of football has no place in the modern game. Not only is he a player whose only thought is to destroy, he is also very clever, some say cynical, when it comes to dealing with referees.

But all players want to influence the officials and it is very much part of the game. Van Bommel never manhandles the referee or subjects him to verbal abuse, he just tries to be his best friend, chatting to him all the time, attempting, subtly, to influence decisions.

Van Bommel needs to be just as smart when dealing with Spain's fantastic passing players on Sunday, but I am not sure he has the ability to avoid landing himself in trouble.

Unlike Claude Makelele, who was the master of the holding role, Van Bommel does not worry about the number of times he will end up on his backside. And he cannot match Alonso's ability to destroy and create, either.

The danger for the Dutch is that Van Bommel will compromise himself and his team by picking up an early booking for diving into a tackle, because Spain are so slick at moving the ball around. If that happens, Van Bommel will get left behind and he will play the rest of the game on the edge, knowing that his next tackle could be his last.

His predicament is similar to that facing the Dutch as a whole when it comes to dealing with the threat posed by Spain's attacking flair.

If they defend deep, but do not have enough of the ball, they will be in trouble, and if they open up and take the game to Spain, they will encounter big problems. As Germany discovered against Spain in the semi-final, you cannot hit teams on the counter-attack if you do not have the ball.

But if you attempt to attack Vicente del Bosque's team, they will cut you open and find spaces in which to kill you. That is why I cannot envisage any way that the Dutch will play an open game. They will have to attempt to contain Spain through the likes of Van Bommel and Nigel de Jong and then hope they can get the ball to the front three.

I just cannot see how Holland can win, but I do believe that it will be a victory for football if Spain emerge as world champions. Every team and every player should aspire to emulate Spain because they are playing such terrific football.

They have the brilliance of Xavi and Iniesta and, in Alonso, possess a wonderful passer of the ball and one who protects his back four, too. Against Germany, they stepped up a gear and a team who scored four goals against Australia, England and Argentina could not live with them.

The Dutch team cannot be compared to the great side of 1974 and would probably lose by five or six if they faced them. I am surprised Holland have made it this far.

You could argue that Spain are not particularly strong at left-back, with Joan Capdevila, but it is all relative when you look at them as a whole with their array of attacking talent.

Alan Hansen, Telegraph

Reports that Holland had a double training session yesterday behind closed doors and Sneijder could not finish either session as he was complaining of pain in his legs and was taken for treatment. The Dutch are saying he is fine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Every team and every player should aspire to emulate Spain because they are playing such terrific football.

When did this happen ?

They have pretty much stumbled through every game thus far.Don't really mind who wins it as long as it's a half decent game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

d22ontour wrote: »
    When did this happen ?

They have pretty much stumbled through every game thus far.Don't really mind who wins it as long as it's a half decent game.

Stumbled by having more possession in every game then their opponents iirc. Also 'stumbled' by giving germany 3 or 4 chances in the whole 90mins.

Aye, stumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Sky Sports news really does my head in

we get it- an englishman will ref the final- nobody gives a ****- now just preview the final and get on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Van Bommel is all set for a red card in this final. In their last two games, they had refs from Asia and the Middle East. A premier league ref will set a different stadard and be much more protective. If Van Bommel keeps up his tackling, I think he'll be booked and told by Webb to not try anymore. Since Van Bommel only offers this imo, he'll be sent off.
    Also expect Puyol to be booked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement