Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland -v- Spain - World Cup Final

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

inforfun wrote: »
    A dutch website. It is a screenshot posted on www.dumpert.nl
    And a joke of course.

Ah, I can't see the image in your post (or even the code for it when I quote it).
    I actually went to his facebook page and spent 5 minutes trying to find anything amusing :D
    I assume it's this?

The article above is highly disingenuous - Van Bommel, for all his aggressivity, is a skillful player whose ball-winning has always been top-notch. He used to smack in the goals at PSV as well, I think he had a record of about 1 goal in three, which is not too shabby and his career stats piss all over Alonso's in many respects. I'm bored at this stage of every Tom, Dick and Harry with his 'insightful' observations that Van Bommel has been a bit dirty and might get sent off in the final or that Xavi and Iniesta can pass the ball well and Snaijder is an aimportant player... for Christ's sake, say something original or STFU.The current Dutch side would trounce the 1974 vintage, as would any modern professional team. Cruijff used to take fag breaks, FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ah, I can't see the image in your post (or even the code for it when I quote it).
    I actually went to his facebook page and spent 5 minutes trying to find anything amusing :D
    I assume it's this?
    That is the one indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Stumbled by having more possession in every game then their opponents iirc. Also 'stumbled' by giving germany 3 or 4 chances in the whole 90mins.

Aye, stumbled.

Absolutely hammered every team off the park, no way would we see boring 1-0 wins with this team, and what about that thrashing they gave to Switzerlan.... oh wait.

They're a very good side but Hansen has gone over the top. I would hope that not every team would try to emulate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

#15 wrote: »
    Absolutely hammered every team off the park, no way would we see boring 1-0 wins with this team, and what about that thrashing they gave to Switzerlan.... oh wait.

They're a very good side but Hansen has gone over the top. I would hope that not every team would try to emulate them.

Completely dominated a team that put 4 past 3 teams, 2 of which were amongst the favourites to win the tournament. All that while everyone acknowledges Spain haven't quite hit the heights they can, like they did in Euro 08.

If the mark of a great team is winning when not playing at your best then Spain are a pretty amazing team, i'm sure you'll agree.

Untwist your panties.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Completely dominated a team that put 4 past 3 teams, 2 of which were amongst the favourites to win the tournament. All that while everyone acknowledges Spain haven't quite hit the heights they can, like they did in Euro 08.

If the mark of a great team is winning when not playing at your best then Spain are a pretty amazing team, i'm sure you'll agree.

Untwist your panties.

They're untwisted, no need to get so defensive about Spain.

Spain are an excellent team, absolutely.

Hansen just went a bit over the top about them.

Funny how extreme people can be about Spain, I'm glad I'm in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

They're untwisted, no need to get so defensive about Spain.

Spain are an excellent team, absolutely.

Hansen just went a bit over the top about them.

Funny how extreme people can be about Spain, I'm glad I'm in the middle.

I've seen you running around for days trying to tell anyone who enjoys Spain that they are wrong and Spain aren't that good and are boring.

Fine, it might not be to your taste but i don't understand the spoil sport mentality that is intent on interfering with other peoples enjoyment of something. Why does it bug you so much that people enjoy it?

Very childish imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Spain are going to hammer Holland...which will show what a very poor world cup this has been:( surely there should be a fair degree of uncertainty of would win in a world cup final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Wishful thinking from Alan Hansen. How many teams actually have technically good enough players to even attempt to imitate how Spain play?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Getting sick of this lack of respect or indifference shown to the Dutch, by so many 'experts' in the media!

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I've seen you running around for days trying to tell anyone who enjoys Spain that they are wrong and Spain aren't that good and are boring.

Fine, it might not be to your taste but i don't understand the spoil sport mentality that is intent on interfering with other peoples enjoyment of something. Why does it bug you so much that people enjoy it?

Very childish imo.

I think you have mixed me up with someone else.

I didn't tell anyone they were wrong, nor did I say that Spain weren't that good.

The only time I was in any way critical was when we were being condescended to for not loving Spain's style.

There's no two ways about it..Spain are the best team in the world (that's not saying much though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

C'mon Holland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ultain wrote: »
    There's no two ways about it..Spain are the best team in the world (that's not saying much though)

For the next 26 hours at least there are very much two ways about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Have to disagree, I still think Bahrains last minute goal should have been allowed against New Zealand. It was the oceania-asia knockout game for the world cup yet the ref didn't allow it :sob:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

A screenshot of my Facebook from the 29/05/2010, not 100% correct but looking good so far. 2 Goals from Villa tomorrow and a masterclass from Xavi and who knows :D

Capture1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,817 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ultain wrote: »

Brazil is was by far the best team in the world. But they lost in the quarter finals because of mental problems. Spain might be the next best team in the world - willl they too suffer from mental problems in the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I shall be shouting for the Dutch, but i'm not all that optimistic about their chances. Their centre half pairing does not inspire me, with Mathijsen in particular worrying me. Spain through Villa and Torres have enough to do the damage, and they enough creativity in midfield create the chances. Van Persie has been off form somewhat so far, and it will be on the shoulders of Robben and Schneider to create the chances. But how much of the ball will they see? Not enough i fear. Dirk Kuyt is key to the Dutch hopes, if he gets into good positions. Expect the Spanish to keep hold of the ball for long enough to send viewers to sleep, along with the Dutch defense.

Espana 1-0 Nederlands
    (Torres)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

OK - bets are placed.

Holland 11/4
    Holland 3 - 1 Spain 40/1
    van Bommel not to get shown a card 31/6
    Spaniard to be sent off 8/1
    Kuyt 1st scorer 11/1
    Sneijder MoM 5/1
    Draw/Holland 7/1

HUP HOLLAND HUP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ridiculously excited!!! Come on Spain!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

kinaldo wrote: »
    Ridiculously excited!!! Come on Spain!!!!

Viva España :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I never mentioned the word hammered. I know Spain didn't hammer their opponents. They won with style tho. Having more possession in every game then their opponents. Germany felt they were on a track team the amount of running they had to do to get the ball.

Spain have lost 2 games in 45+ Iirc. One to Switzerland and one to U.S.A.

And if you think Spains style of football is boring, well then with respect I disagree. I love their style of football, but I don't expect everyone else to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if spain win 1-0 with villa scoring it will be a very very happy day for me to the tune of about 500!!

so it wont happen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I had a sign - woke up this morning about 10am and switched on the radio - what was on ? - Viva la vida!

Has to be a sign, just has to be :D

Spain have lost 2 games in 45+ Iirc. One to Switzerland and one to U.S.A.

They went 36 games without losing, drawing with the Brazil side of the 90s.

2150240845_1.gif

anyone seen this:

http://www.ufwc.co.uk/results/2009-2/

holland have been the unofficial world champions since they beat Sweden in 08. so the winner today will be world champions and unofficial world champions!

redout wrote: »
    2150240845_1.gif

Can't wait mate. It's so good to finally see Spain getting far. They'll do it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Shouldn't we all be supporting Holland today ;)

ireland-flag.gif

Tongue firmly in cheek :D

Win or lose Spain are flying home tonight.

As reported on thursday Spain will change into their traditional red kit should they win and adidas have prepared a special shirt with the star that World cup winners are entitled to wear should they emerge victorious.

Some are speculating that Pedro will keep his place though others are saying Torres will return - I for one would rather Torres does not start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I for one hope Torres scores the winning goal and that it's a cracker!

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Can't wait mate. It's so good to finally see Spain getting far. They'll do it tonight.

Lets hope so man - Iniesta will do us proud. I passed by the local yesterday evening and to my amazement all the windows are draped in Spain flags! A bit ott but a most welcome one. Will be heading into town to watch this - Celebrations at the Spire afterwards like after Euro 2008 I heard :D Getting a bit ahead of ourselves here but sure if you cant do it on this day of all days they when can ya?

Viva España

Lets hope so man - Iniesta will do us proud. I passed by the local yesterday evening and to my amazement all the windows are draped in Spain flags! A bit ott but a most welcome one. Will be heading into town to watch this - Celebrations at the Spire afterwards like after Euro 2008 I heard :D Getting a bit ahead of ourselves here but sure if you cant do it on this day of all days they when can ya?

Viva España

Ya, fcuk it, what's the worst that could happen. ;)

david_villa4.jpg

I'm fairly confident Spain will win. Call me arrogant, or the special one, but I still think Spain will win.

You watching the match in town CorkMan? You should head into Door51 if you're supporting Spain. Atmosphere is electric in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

G'wan the Dutch!

Just saw this over on afterhours http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jun/27/new-aviva-football-stadium-to-host-world-cup-final/

Anyone got tickets ? - I heard nothing about this.

G'Wan the dutchies!

I see Whelans (in Dublin :P) have been supporting the spanish and The Village (next door to them) have been supporting the Dutch from the very start. Could be a great place to watch the match!

The Legendary Manolo has returned to South Africa as promised

manolo_300x209.jpg

nah, i'll be watching it in my uncles. He has a 48 inch HDTV :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Expect the unexpected

Spain 1-2 Holland

No matter who wins, it will be good to see one of these nations get to lift the world cup.

They're both long overdue.

No matter who wins, it will be good to see one of these nations get to lift the world cup.

They're both long overdue.

it's great to see a new world cup winner tbh!

anyone know of a good bar for the final in town?

Just saw this over on afterhours http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jun/27/new-aviva-football-stadium-to-host-world-cup-final/

Anyone got tickets ? - I heard nothing about this.

i have two tickets waiting for me in the d4 hotels, but i'm watching it in town now so not gonna take them. if anyone else wants to get them they're yours...

WIZE wrote: »
    Expect the unexpected

Spain 1-2 Holland
    I dont think so... ' A Bridge to far' :(

I can see a replica of the germany game happening TBH, but Netherlands weren't as good as Germany in this world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Hopefully Spain and Villa will do it tonight, Pedro has to start in my opinion. De Jong and Van Bommel will have a busy night ahead of them and i really don't think they will be able to contain the great Spanish midfield. i'm going for a 3-0, maybe Holland might get a goal but nothing more than that i reckon.

Viva España :D

Wish it was going to be that exciting...There is only one cert tonight and that's Spain, even if Holland play well and score a goal or two, the heart and ability of the Spanish will prove to much for the gutsy Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Any teams yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

any opinion poll for who will win it?

hope holland win, i enjoyed the games i seened them play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Quick question, if neither Sneijder nor Villa score then does Muller get the golden boot?

• Advertisement
Advertisement