Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland -v- Spain - World Cup Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Quick question, if neither Sneijder nor Villa score then does Muller get the golden boot?

Yep. FIFA bases it on goals and assists.

However if say three players finish on the same number of goals, bookies divide the odds by three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Quick question, if neither Sneijder nor Villa score then does Muller get the golden boot?

How do you work that one out?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hoping for Holland, Robben to be MOM

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Reckon we are in for a real classic tonight. Both teams have good attackers and both teams have shaky enough defences. I can see something like a 2-2 or 3-2. I dont care who wins as both nations would be deserving winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Spanish press are claiming Pedro will start - Torres dropped.

Del Bosque has already named the team so leaks could well be out.

España lineup:
    Casillas; Capdevila, Puyol, Piqué, Ramos; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi; Iniesta, Pedrito, Villa

redout wrote: »
    Spanish press are claiming Pedro will start - Torres dropped.

Del Bosque has already named the team so leaks could well be out.

Torres never started the last game so couldn't be dropped.

Sorry :p

Correct decision tbh, he isn't fit .If it's a draw with 20 mins left Torres would relish grabbing the winner if sent on.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Torres never started the last game so couldn't be dropped.

Sorry :p

Correct decision tbh, he isn't fit .If it's a draw with 20 mins left Torres would relish grabbing the winner if sent on.

Ok well then lets say Del Bosque has continued his decision of dropping Torres in favour of Pedro.

Torres must be feeling like crap to be honest.

Ok well then lets say Del Bosque has continued his decision of dropping Torres in favour of Pedro.

Torres must be feeling like crap to be honest.

He might have a big say yet, but yeah it's been a disappointing WC from him.

That's what happens though when a manager plays you when half fit.

Del Bosquehas a lot to answer for tbh.

Could have been so different had Pedro squared the ball against Germany and Torres scored.

Would have given him all the confidence in the world going into this match.

Still wouldnt write him off - could well come on and score.

Perhaps another tournament winner like in Berlin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

It would be hard to blame Del Bosque for picking even a half fit Torres imo, Villa and Torres work so good together and love to play together so even a half fit Torres was the obvious choice.

I'm heading for town - all I can say is that I hope Spain do it.

Viva España

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

España lineup:
    Casillas; Capdevila, Puyol, Piqué, Ramos; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi; Iniesta, Pedrito, Villa

That is the lineup I was hoping for. What a day so far sportswise, after losing my bollix so far in the GAA (Cork - 2 pts aargh) all rolls head on to Spain to save the day. Tic-tac, tic-tac, probe is what im hoping for. GL everyone and heres for a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

It's so vital from a dutch pov that they don't concede early. If so I can see the Spanish killing the game off.

Let's hope the right team wins and Howard Webb doesn't get a mention afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Howard Webb is going to be a big factor in this game. Is he going to offer enough protection to the Spanish players? If Van Bommel and De Jong get stuck in will he dish out yellow cards early or let it go? I suspect he'll show some cards.

I'm leaning towards Spain to win by a goal, maybe A.E.T. 2-1 Spain. Xavi to boss the game and Villa to finish with the Golden Boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Puyol at 28/1 for man of the match is massive imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

draw

1 each or nil nil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'm going for the Dutch tonight, I see the game going much in the same was as the semi between Spain and Germany but i see Holland being more of a threat on the counter.

I'm hoping for a game like last night, but the nerves and what are at stake is going to put a stop to that i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I think webb has been very harsh towards dirty players.

• Advertisement

Webbs a good referee. He wouldn't have gotten the WC Final otherwise. Probably on stricter side on the fence than most I'll grant though [likely down to his copper background!]

The Dutch have seen a lot of nasty tackles and professional fouling go unpunished so far - that's not right either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If Holland manage an early goal, will Spain still be content to play slowly-slowly-catchy-monkey or do they have a plan B for chasing the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

If Holland manage an early goal, will Spain still be content to play slowly-slowly-catchy-monkey or do they have a plan B for chasing the game?

I'm not sure when they went down against Switzerland they never recovered. The key for the Dutch in this match is too start well.

I don't think Pedro was the best choice . Villa seemed completely lost against the Germans, I don't think he works well as a lone striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That shot of the fans watching in Amsterdam was :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Tonight for me, is seriously special, I am Dutch , living here most my life, but to have my team in the final of the World Cup with a chance to rid the memories of 1974 and 1978, makes tonight so special. I am watching it with my Dad and Bro, its a special feeling to be watching your team in the final, and its special for my father getting to see his team in the final again for the first time in 32 years.

I am hoping for a great game, before I go:

HUP HOLLAND HUP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Nelson Mandela is there. With his mad wife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

Nice weird opener by RTE, Liberty hall been knocked though...now there's an idea! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Very excited now, may the best team win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

haha according to John it's Barcelona against the Netherlands. May as well be the amount of them in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Something that's been bothering me for some time, why is it Netherlands and not Holland, Giles just called them Holland, apologised then called them Netherlands :confused::confused::confused:

scudzilla wrote: »
    Something that's been bothering me for some time, why is it Netherlands and not Holland, Giles just called them Holland, apologised then called them Netherlands :confused::confused::confused:

Afaik Holland is a province or district in the Nederlands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The country is the Nederlands but the team is Holland. Quite why this difference stands is odd.

Netherlands is the proper name for the country. Holland is the name of a region within the country but it somehow is used commonly to refer to the whole country.

Here is Holland within the Netherlands

Holland_position.svg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Will Van Bommell take the Iniesta bait ?

If he does he's off by half time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

cson wrote: »
    Afaik Holland is a province or district in the Nederlands.
    The country is officially called Nederland.

We all call it Holland in slang terms, there are two provinces called Zuid and Noord Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Holland is a historical country. It's now a province (well, two provinces) in the Netherlands.

It's a bit like calling Britain or the UK 'England'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Kom op Nederland! We moeten sterk en gefocust zijn, WE KUNNEN HET DOEN!!!

I always thought it was Holland

as in Ho' Land, due to the numbers of them making a living there,

You learn something new every day :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

alonso 66-1 to score two or more, he takes the pens :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I hope that's not the dancing priest causing trouble. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With no current Liverpool members in the starting 11 I guess I should switch to Holland :pac:

• Advertisement

article-0-0A611BB4000005DC-156_468x3121-300x200.jpg
    Come on Spain!

Fook off Blatter !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

mixednuts wrote: »
    Fook off Blatter !

Was he getting booed as he came onto the pitch there?

mixednuts wrote: »
    Fook off Blatter !

I'm wishing him death by Vuvuzela

Howard Webb is one big dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sherifu wrote: »
    I hope that's not the dancing priest causing trouble. :pac:

Ah well at least an Irishman lifted the World Cup after all :pac:

Ah well at least an Irishman lifted the World Cup after all :pac:

What happened

I'm pleased Guy Mowbray got the World Cup Final for the BBC. Always liked him as a commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Come on king billy's boys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Come on Holland.

godcreatedthedutch438.jpg

Advertisement