Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland -v- Spain - World Cup Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Jesus some rough tackles tonight

I hate the way Spain keep asking for players to be booked.

They're a hateful bunch tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

enviro wrote: »

Mostly from the Dutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

enviro wrote: »
    Big time - some nasty stuff going on this evening, If this was a champions league game, there'd have been one or two reds by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This has been a forgettable game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

monkey9 wrote: »
    How much would he cost would you say? He looks absolute quality on the rare occasion i've seen him. Is he a regular starter for Hamburg?

1 billion dollars :p

We paid €9m last summer, he was quality last season up until he got injured then never really got a stretch of games in.
    The club has said he's not for sale though and he said he's happy and wants to stay to accomplish the goals he set himself when he joined.
    I'd estimate IF he did ask to leave he'd be available for around €17m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

PHB wrote: »
    The yellows should free up the game for the second half. Already Spain are getting more into it in the last 10 minutes. I really think that Fabregas would make an impact in this game, much more used to teams shutting up shop that his colleagues who play in La Liga.

Agree about the yellows -replace Iniesta with Fabregas.

As a Pool fan delighted Torres aint on the pitch

Mostly from the Dutch

Yeah for sure, could be a tactic to rough them up...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

First good effort by Holland. Well saved.

Reminds me of the 1990 WC final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the 1st half has been a major disappointment. Jinxed by the muppets on BBC saying it was going to be a good game !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I'd imaigine wherever Big Sam is watching this, he's probably thinking the Dutch approach justifies his approach to football.

Just when it was starting to get good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm going to eat my eyes. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Ok, I think both teams were plaing out a draw on the first half so i'd have a chance to win my bet... ;)

I forsee some action in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Haha Alan Hansen "what happened to total football its total thuggery"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Terrible crap altogether. If this was a group game I'd imagine alot of people wouldn't bother tuning in for the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd bring on Fabregas for Alonso personally. Maybe consider bringing on Mata or Silva for Pedro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

dutch must be happy game is been played their way, spain need to push forward more,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Holland have done a very good job on disrupting Spain's game..can they keep it up in the second half?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

If Holland can keep 11 players on the pitch and give Robben as much of the ball as possible they have a great chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

IMO either De Jong or Van Bommel will be gone before the final whistle, and that could open things. (if BOTH don't get sent off!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

If Holland can keep 11 players on the pitch and give Robben as much of the ball as possible they have a great chance.

He's been marked very heavily. Never has space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

All set up for a late Dutch goal second half and the parking of the Oranje bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

the replays are showing how savage some of those tackles have been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The Dutch have been a disgrace imo. Webb should have sent 2 of them off

RTE lads slating Webb for not being firmer. But if he was dishing out red cards he would get slated too. Very very hard game for Webb to referee. Wouldn't like to be in his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

TBH i dont think the first half was the downer everyone seems to think.#

Its nervy, its cagey and its a bit stop/start i agree, but its not as if we arent seeing two teams working very hard on the field.
    The Dutch are breaking up the game succesfully, we all knew that would be how it worked.
    The Spanish are trying to play their normal game, as expected and eventually their chances will come.

It seems to have been a habit from commentators and fans alike during this tournament to complain when we dont see free flowing, attacking football from both sides leading to chances at both ends again and again.
    I wont deny that seeing lots of chances is exciting, but am i the only one who enjoys watching a good hard slog with players giving 110% and sticking to the tactics handed out to them before the match by their respective managers?

As the game goes on it will inevitably open up, players will tire and mistakes will be made.

I'm intrigued.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

bw wrote: »
    He's been marked very heavily. Never has space.

He'll still get his chances to run at people and get his shots off as he's showed so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Someone is probably going to end up being sent off. My money's on Van Bommel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    RTE lads slating Webb for not being firmer. But if he was dishing out red cards he would get slated too. Very very hard game for Webb to referee. Wouldn't like to be in his boots.

Not many would have slated him for sending off De Jong. Disgraceful tactics from the Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

. Very very hard game for Webb to referee. Wouldn't like to be in his boots.

aye, totally agree. I think he's not sent them off because its the WC final.

all the same IMO he's being weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Webb bottling it big-time. Disgraceful performance for the WC final. Why FIFA picked this dud for the WC i'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

After seeing that replay De Jongs tackle would be right at home in a Jackie Chan film.

Eirebear wrote: »
    TBH i dont think the first half was the downer everyone seems to think.#

Its nervy, its cagey and its a bit stop/start i agree, but its not as if we arent seeing two teams working very hard on the field.
    The Dutch are breaking up the game succesfully, we all knew that would be how it worked.
    The Spanish are trying to play their normal game, as expected and eventually their chances will come.

It seems to have been a habit from commentators and fans alike during this tournament to complain when we dont see free flowing, attacking football from both sides leading to chances at both ends again and again.
    I wont deny that seeing lots of chances is exciting, but am i the only one who enjoys watching a good hard slog with players giving 110% and sticking to the tactics handed out to them before the match by their respective managers?

As the game goes on it will inevitably open up, players will tire and mistakes will be made.

I'm intrigued.

I think people are pissed off with the Dutch and their constant fouling and brutal tackling. I just hope the Spaniards get it together and hammer them in the 2nd half. Dutch are horrific and are resorting to vicious cynical fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lets hope this ugly Dutch side doesnt win for the sake of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

" Think that was Busqets....what's he doing on the pitch" ....good man John.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What a great game :rolleyes:

The rte panal seem to be sucking spains ***k.

Btw how come Fabragas never starts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The first thought that comes to my mind after that first half is how many players will finish the game.

Van Bommel, De Jong and Puyol are all likely to be involved in dodgy challenges before the end of this game. De Jong would be sent off if this wasn't a World Cup final for that challenge on Xabi Alonso imo. Sneijder should be on a yellow card for that challenge on Busquets.

Its clear that Del Bosque has identified a possible weakness in the Dutch defense with the couple of through balls that Villa failed to get to. They seemed to be very slow to turn.

Van Marwijk seems to have found a way to break up the tika taka style of Spain though and they have not been nearly as dominant as normal.

I think it comes down to De Jong and Van Bommel, if they stay on the field for the 90 minutes then Holland can hold on or even snatch a victory but if they lose one of them early in the second half then Spain will win this game.

Busquests having another excellent game for Spain and he has been the standout player for me.

Even Greece in 2004 were better than this Dutch side. They just played long ball.....Holland are assaulting their opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I think people are pissed off with the Dutch and their constant fouling and brutal tackling. I just hope the Spaniards get it together and hammer them in the 2nd half. Dutch are horrific and are resorting to vicious cynical fouls.

De Jong's tackle was a shocker alright.

Outwith that, its a contact sport, players have been punished accordingly for their misdemeanours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Warper wrote: »
    Webb bottling it big-time. Disgraceful performance for the WC final. Why FIFA picked this dud for the WC i'll never know.

That's a bit harsh. He couldn't have sent off Van Bommel for those two fouls. He correctly booked him for the first one and the second foul didn't warrant a second yellow.

The De Jong decision was brutal, no doubt about that. But, I wouldn't say that one decision should taint his over-all performance. He's not disgraceful, and he's certainly not a dud. The RTÉ panel are being slightly over-critical of him too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

_42337215_04amputees_afp_taylor.jpg

Last team to play holland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I am not totally sure but I think only 2 or 3 people most have been sent off in all world cup finals. Wouldn't it be something if 2 players were sent off tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Would not be surprised to see De Jong, Puyol or Van Bommel sent off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Ooh god stop with the moaning about the poor spanish getting kicked.spanish diving and puyols tackle have been just as bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I hate the way Spain keep asking for players to be booked.

They're a hateful bunch tbh.

Looking at some of the 'challenges' in the first half, they have to ask louder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Jeez just seen replay of Van Bommell tackle , how the fook is he still on the pitch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

rte are being far too critical of webb, i think he is doing a good job so far and expect van bomell to get sent off in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's tough on Webb because if he sends off a player he gets accused of ruining the game as a spectacle.

I think if Spain score first the Dutch could lose the head and a player or two.

Advertisement