Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's too windy to surf?

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Was planning to head to Lahinch for the day tomorrow but the forecast is pretty windy. Anybody know what speeds would make it too windy to bother?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Was planning to head to Lahinch for the day tomorrow but the forecast is pretty windy. Anybody know what speeds would make it too windy to bother?

Wind was cross today (North facing beach) and around 12-18mph, wasn't great or that worth it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Thanks. I'm bringing a couple of lads who've never surfed before too, so I'd hate to drag them up there for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I've canceled my stay in Enniscrone because of heave side wind. Going back tomorrow to see if it gets better. If I learned one thing this holiday about surfing, it would be "don't check only swell, check the wind speed and direction too" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

The wind is actually dropping off in the afternoon/evening tomorrow.
    Lahinch is not north facing.

It will work well on an easterly wind. but if it's not pure onshore and not too strong it shouldnt be too bad for beginners.

It's dropping back as I said... if your down that area you might try Spanish Point a bit further south, I find with a southerly wind it can be slightly sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Well we decided at 10am to head up and it was alright. Nothing to write home about. Wind was onshore and quite strong but we managed to catch a few. Hard work but there's no shame in that. Would hope for better but it certainly beat sitting in bitching about the irish weather (specifically the wind).

Cheers for all the responses tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Once the wind hits 15mph i generally dont go surfing.. Too many days of disapointment. Id happily get down to lehinch for 6.30am(get up at 5am) before the wind picks up rather than head down at lunch time to have the head blown off me. Check windguru for the best times for low winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

CRenegade wrote: »
    The wind is actually dropping off in the afternoon/evening tomorrow.
    Lahinch is not north facing.

It will work well on an easterly wind. but if it's not pure onshore and not too strong it shouldnt be too bad for beginners.

It's dropping back as I said... if your down that area you might try Spanish Point a bit further south, I find with a southerly wind it can be slightly sheltered.

Was referring to another beach that was north facing and strong cross winds.

It's dying down anyway this weekend it seems, plenty of seaweed needs to be taken back:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

kerry. overhead. epic.

had to share! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Im thinking heading for a day trip Wednesday/Thursday and im very easy on where to go on the west coast!

But when I checked the reports, the swell is pretty big and the winds seems way to big, any suggestions on the most sheltered beach? Back to the same question on this thread....is it too much wind?

Be honest if you think there is no point in heading west for surf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Beginning to think I should change my name to spoonfeeder:rolleyes:

Anyway...

Have a good look at this site

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

And goto forecast wind direction:eek:

Always found an over picture of what the winds are doing is better than the wind guru ones

If you have to travel, North Donegal has plenty of good sheltered beachs around Dun Fanahy (Plenty of swell, should wrap in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

rodento wrote: »
    Beginning to think I should change my name to spoonfeeder:rolleyes:

Been coming to the same conclusion - come on guys man up and learn how to do things for your self 90 % of this board is beginners asking the same questions, were is the craic, fun, banter....

To be honest I've stopped answering most treads.

I don't mean you to go looking up everything and spoon-feed me the best answer. I have been looking at windguru and magicseaweed all day, my question was more related to what wind speeds would be too much in your experience. From your responses I would then be much more able to pick a suitable spot or wait until better conditions!

Across the sites it seems to be 18-24mph winds along the west coast for Tuesday/Wednesday.

At times looking at the reports is not good enough and its experience that counts, hence me posting on here and ringing surf shops for their opinions.

Nobody looked up anything for you, the wind/swell sites generally get checked daily...

One thing to consider, if those winds hit, it takes a few days for the currents/chop to clear so sheltered locations are kinda best

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wopp wrote: »
    I don't mean you to go looking up everything and spoon-feed me the best answer. I have been looking at windguru and magicseaweed all day, my question was more related to what wind speeds would be too much in your experience. From your responses I would then be much more able to pick a suitable spot or wait until better conditions!

Across the sites it seems to be 18-24mph winds along the west coast for Tuesday/Wednesday.

At times looking at the reports is not good enough and its experience that counts, hence me posting on here and ringing surf shops for their opinions.

I find once an offshore wind hits force 5 and above it makes it difficult to catch the wave by just pushing you off the top. I wouldn't usually head out if the wind is force 6 and above unless I know of a spot that's well sheltered from the wind direction. Having said that I've often seen people out in howling force 6/7 offshores and some of the better guys would still catch something, but I wouldn't really recommend it as with offshore winds that strong it's very easy to get blown out to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Wopp wrote: »

It's not for us to say it's safe for you to go out in strong winds surfing, if you don't have the experinece to know better then please don't go out.
    With strong off shore wind you can easily end up miles on to sea and with any strong wind your board can get picked up and come down on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

I find it impossible when the wind goes above 20 knots.
    I'm light enough and I only have a 6'4 so the waves just roll past.
    Would have more of a chance with a 8 or 9 footer but very windy surf
    is generally not my beans on toast

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's not for us to say it's safe for you to go out in strong winds surfing, if you don't have the experinece to know better then please don't go out.
    With strong off shore wind you can easily end up miles on to sea and with any strong wind your board can get picked up and come down on you.

Thats a good point, especially in a strong offshore there's a good chance of you getting milled by your board. Had a near miss last may, the wave closed out on top of me, was under for a few seconds. Usually keep my arms over my head but thought the board should have been well away from me, heard a very loud thud behind me, the board had slammed down only about foot away from my head. It's 9'6 with a heavy glass job, been extra vigilant ever since!

Always found that when I did that on that board, the people in the line up always gave me some extra space;)

rodento wrote: »
    Always found that when I did that on that board, the people in the line up always gave me some extra space;)

You're not wrong there! :D

Thursday could be really nice in a few places, just wish I could take it off work

• Advertisement

Wednesday in Enniscrone turned out to be good, and Thursday was surfable but a little messy! So Magicseaweed was a little off in its prediction on the wind :rolleyes:

Best advice iv gotten, a bad day of surf is still better then a day at the office!

Cheers for the replys

Worth checking the longboard comp in lahinch tomorrow, it'll be held in 38knt winds(howling cross shore) and a massive 3m+ southwestery swell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Jeez, take some pictures people please. Mondays gonna be spiritual over there with waves up and over 20ft they reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I find once an offshore wind hits force 5 and above it makes it difficult to catch the wave by just pushing you off the top. I wouldn't usually head out if the wind is force 6 and above unless I know of a spot that's well sheltered from the wind direction. Having said that I've often seen people out in howling force 6/7 offshores and some of the better guys would still catch something, but I wouldn't really recommend it as with offshore winds that strong it's very easy to get blown out to sea.

that's good to know, would have saved me a lot of hassle if i would have known that, not going out in anything over 20mph offshore again

Advertisement