Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel, .tmp files and backing-up problems

• 07-07-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭

For the last few weeks, months maybe, tempory files are beinf created in the background when using MS Excel, I think this happens when I do a VLook up between 2 workbooks. Every so often whenI ahev time or the inclination I'd delete them sometimes I'd get an error message to say the file couldn't be deleted, no problem I thought.

However, today I decided to back up my main files and everything was going fiune for the first few minutes but then the error message appeared to say one of the .tmp files couldn't be copied, I cliked ok but that stopped the back up process. Any way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

What operating system are you using?

You need to turn on "Don't show hidden files, folders or drives" in folder options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

You could try reboot your PC into safe mode so no files should be in use, make sure Excel is closed and then backup your files. Try use a program like Ccleaner to clear up all your tmp files. Very easy to use and it is free. just google ccleaner and download it and install it. Like I said it is very straight forward to use. By the way how are you backing up your files. It shouldn't be trying to copy the tmp files anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭phog

RogerThis wrote: »
    What operating system are you using?

You need to turn on "Don't show hidden files, folders or drives" in folder options

OS is Win XP

Re the "dont show hidden files...." is that when I'm backing up or should this boxed be ticked all the time?
    toe_knee wrote: »
    You could try reboot your PC into safe mode so no files should be in use, make sure Excel is closed and then backup your files. Try use a program like Ccleaner to clear up all your tmp files. Very easy to use and it is free. just google ccleaner and download it and install it. Like I said it is very straight forward to use. By the way how are you backing up your files. It shouldn't be trying to copy the tmp files anyway

It's a work PC and I dont have admin rights - I've used Ccleaner on my home laptop and found it good

I'm backing up by copying and pasting the folders from my laptop to an external drive- is there a better (correct) way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

phog wrote: »
    OS is Win XP

Re the "dont show hidden files...." is that when I'm backing up or should this boxed be ticked all the time?

You should have the box ticked all the time, unless you want to see the hidden file, which are the .tmp files.

Advertisement