Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to buy suits

Options
  • 15-05-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Where can a guy rent a suit/tux in the City? Any suggestions welcome, recommendations etc.!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Thanks biko!

039_42337henry-winkler-posters.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Where can a guy rent a suit/tux in the City? Any suggestions welcome, recommendations etc.!

I do know the shop Burton sell suits with shirt and tie and proper shoes for not much more than it would cost to rent a suit and they are quite nice too.
    Staff friendly and helpful too
    Just another option for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Martin Feeney on ABbeygate Street, or Corless on Dominic Street. I think there's a place in Woodquay, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Fey! wrote: »
    Martin Feeney on ABbeygate Street
    Recommend this, good selection & very friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

Hi there,
    I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks and want to get a shirt and and tie.

Can you anyone tell me a good place to buy in Galway and at a reasonable price aswell would be great.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Hanleys. When i needed the same they were really good. Find out what ur better half is wearing also cause its good to match colours of ties/shirt with her dress.

www.suits.ie
    Any shop that sell men's wear.

Buy good quality, cheap shirts and ties show and good quality will last you 5-10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

T.K Maxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

That suit warehouse in ballybrit industrial centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Remus Uno in the Shopping Centre would be a good bet. It's across from Carphone Warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

5-10 years? Are you having a proverbial giraffe?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

I think anthony ryans has a good selection of shirts I'd get the tie in Dunnes or penny's for a tenth of the price

5-10 years? Are you having a proverbial giraffe?
    Maybe if you could explain your question?
    I have a tie that easily 10 years old, my favourite tie, and it's still as nice as the day I bought it.
    "Take care of your stuff and they will take care of you".

biko wrote: »
    Maybe if you could explain your question?
    I have a tie that easily 10 years old, my favourite tie, and it's still as nice as the day I bought it.

How many wears would you be talking about over a ten year period?

How come you don't agree with my statement of 5-10 years?

biko wrote: »
    How come you don't agree with my statement of 5-10 years?

Well as I asked, how many wears would you be talking? From my own perspective, 5-10 years is ridiculous.

We might be getting a bit off topic but as I said a good tie will last forever if you get a good quality one and take care of it. I wore one particular one for office work for 5 years at least twice a week, mind I never spilled drink or soup or anything on it and cleaned by dry cleaner. It's still in my collection although of course I have several more.

As to the shirts it was quite expensive Italian numbers (got a good price when I got some suits), bit heavy but strong. Also only cleaned by dry cleaners.
    Don't have them any more simply because I got others but there was nothing wrong with them when I gave them to a charity.

Sure if you wear a low grade shirt for office wear it'll be more wear on it than if you only wear it for weddings etc.

So what your experience? How many years?

I have 30 or so shirts at any given time and probably a similar number of ties. I would never wear the same tie twice in a week. My experience is 3-4 years absolute maximum. I don't buy rags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I have 30 or so shirts at any given time and probably a similar number of ties. I would never wear the same tie twice in a week. My experience is 3-4 years absolute maximum. I don't buy rags.

Seriously 30 ties? Are you a serial wedding crasher?? :-) My shirts would last 1 week to absolute max 2 years based because i lose them, i get tired of them, they go out of fashion or they get washed out.

They value of clothes that I have wasted + given to charity is astronomical.

Ok I was probably optimistic there about the shirt, anyway OP, get a good quality one :D

Thanks for the help guys. I know I should get a tie in Dunnes but I'd be unsure about matching unless I can get one that looks identical to a tie in the shop.

Anyways I suppose I'll go in and pick the shirt and then see if I can get a tie in Dunnes. If not go back to the shop. Abit of a pain I suppose but ties are around 40 quid in a quality menswear shop aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

irlforum wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. I know I should get a tie in Dunnes but I'd be unsure about matching unless I can get one that looks identical to a tie in the shop.

Anyways I suppose I'll go in and pick the shirt and then see if I can get a tie in Dunnes. If not go back to the shop. Abit of a pain I suppose but ties are around 40 quid in a quality menswear shop aren't they?

Pennys/Topman/River Island have nice ties at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Whats your budget for the shirt and tie, its easier to recommend a place if we know how much you wash to spend ?

padi89 wrote: »
    Whats your budget for the shirt and tie, its easier to recommend a place if we know how much you wash to spend ?

I wouldn't think I'd like to spend anymore than 60 or 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere, preferable in the city where I can buy a suit. I need a small sized one, think its 36 I'm looking for, the problem is that I also need it by saturday!

I know of Louis Copeland, Anthony Ryans & Hanleys. Any other recommendations apreciated as I'm going looking tomorrow...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

My BF got one in Anthony Ryans a few months ago, think it was a 36 - the smallest size anyway. If you need any alterations done you might find it hard to get it done in 2 days.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mybabydoll

In The Galway Shopping Centre is Remus only opened bout 3 mths they do a large selection of Suits also Carpenters or if the Worst Comes o te Worst Pop down to Martin Feeney and hire one they have all shapes and size it would be worth a try.

Are if u do buy a suit a bit on the large size i would recommed Mary Forde as a dress maker she is located up on the 2nd floor of the Shopping Centre next to hickeys and the ladies in there r brilliant at gettig thigs done quickly if needs be

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Roseyland

I would highly recommend going out to Suits distibutors out in Briarhill (just up from DID electrical) Bought a suit there about 9 months ago, massive range of suits which they can tailor if required, and very reasonably priced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement