Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Education / Grant

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi
    I am totally confused. I am going to be going to college for first time in september as a mature student I have been unemployed for last 13 months and I am wondering what is my best option finance wise should I be going for BTEA or applying for a grant which is more benefit to me..

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

Personally I would say that BTEA is your best bet as it is €196 a week and you can work part time during college without it affecting anything.

The grant is less a week, you have to wait for it in installments rather than getting it every week, and if you work then next year this will be taken into consideration for grant levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 araic26

Got a question bout grant too??

Went to college 5 years ago, was doing a diploma course, almost did most of the first year but had to leave towards the end for personal and rather understandable reasons.

Anyway, going at it again this year:D-only im doing a higher certificate course. Which is a level beneath what i was doing.
    It says on studentfinance that you get a second chance after so many years but must be doing the same level of course??? Are they very strict on this?? would they be understandable if i explained why i had to leave the course, or would that just be scrunched up and thrown in the bin??
    Just need it to pay for my fees really as im imagining thats about €3000 up to €9000??

Im applying anyway:D, just wondering if someone might have an idea if i might be eligible, so as I'll know whether i should really knuckle down and save??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭mikey1

mousehouse wrote: »
    Hi
    I am totally confused. I am going to be going to college for first time in september as a mature student I have been unemployed for last 13 months and I am wondering what is my best option finance wise should I be going for BTEA or applying for a grant which is more benefit to me..

Cheers

You can actually apply for both and receive both at the same time, if accepted of course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

mikey1 wrote: »
    You can actually apply for both and receive both at the same time, if accepted of course! :)

You can't get them both anymore thanks to the 2010 Budget.

If you apply for both and get accepted on to the BTEA then all you can get from the maintenance grant is your student service charges (registration fees) paid for. €194 and no fees is great if you ask me.

I suggest that you apply ASAP though, I handed in my forms for the grant last week and the clerk told me that it would be at least 5-8 weeks before they even get to my application so unless you apply soon, you could be left waiting till after you need the money to pay the fees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭mikey1

If you apply for both and get accepted on to the BTEA then all you can get from the maintenance grant is your student service charges (registration fees) paid for. €194 and no fees is great if you ask me.

I suggest that you apply ASAP though, I handed in my forms for the grant last week and the clerk told me that it would be at least 5-8 weeks before they even get to my application so unless you apply soon, you could be left waiting till after you need the money to pay the fees.

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt your first line contradict your second paragraph! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Do I have to fill out anything seperate for the actual course fees? Or is that taken care of by the college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt your first line contradict your second paragraph! ;)

Not really as the grant was traditionally made up of 2 parts, the registration portion that goes directly to the college and the maintenance portion that the student receives.

Since budget 2010 anyone receiving BTEA will no longer be eligible for the maintenance portion, unless they are on OPFP or Disability payment prior to applying for the allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Not anymore.... changed a few months back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Ms Happy wrote: »
    Not anymore.... changed a few months back

This topic is undergoing discussions at the moment ,and there will be some type of grant/additional payment to people on BTEA for those starting in Sep 2010.

• Advertisement

""Since budget 2010 anyone receiving BTEA will no longer be eligible for the maintenance portion, unless they are on OPFP or Disability payment prior to applying for the allowance.""

Am i reading this right?? So anyone on OPFP->One parent family payment will get both maintenance grant and BTEA???

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

The_Joker. wrote: »
    This topic is undergoing discussions at the moment ,and there will be some type of grant/additional payment to people on BTEA for those starting in Sep 2010.

When will we find out? Do you mind me asking where did you hear this from?

I just applied for both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

I was at a conference a few weeks ago and there was no word of any extra payments within the scheme. Anyone on BTEA gets their weekly payment plus the cost of education allowance of €500

araic26 wrote: »
    ""Since budget 2010 anyone receiving BTEA will no longer be eligible for the maintenance portion, unless they are on OPFP or Disability payment prior to applying for the allowance.""

Am i reading this right?? So anyone on OPFP->One parent family payment will get both maintenance grant and BTEA???

Yes, as technically they aren't on BTEA but retain their original payment that just has a BTEA code included in it for administration purposes (according to our local DSP Job Facilitator). Those on Disability have to get permission from DSP before starting education.

Thanks 'The Joker' ill keep my fingers and toes crossed :D

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Yes, as technically they aren't on BTEA but retain their original payment that just has a BTEA code included in it for administration purposes (according to our local DSP Job Facilitator). Those on Disability have to get permission from DSP before starting education.

Im speechless!!

Im speechless!!

Im jealous & poor ;)

BroFlo wrote: »
    Im jealous & poor ;)

HAHA. I wont believe it till i see it, so till i see it, im poor too,hehe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

I meant to say you can't get them both fully at the same time smart arse :P
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Do I have to fill out anything seperate for the actual course fees? Or is that taken care of by the college?

Fill out the BTEA forms and the Maintenance grant forms yourself, you can get them both on www.studentfinance.ie as far as I know.

paperclip2 wrote: »

Since budget 2010 anyone receiving BTEA will no longer be eligible for the maintenance portion, unless they are on OPFP or Disability payment prior to applying for the allowance.

Was talking to citizens information today and asked them bout this and they put me through to my local county council and they explained that my OPFP would change over to BTEA once i start college and that i would not be intitled to both but that my fees would be covered by the grant.
    It would be great if i got to keep my OPFP and get the maintenance part of my grant too, but no!!
    But kinda knew it was too good to be true,shame i didnt get my act together last year:rolleyes:..but on the bright side fees will be paid..PHEW:D

• Advertisement

araic26 that is wrong.

If you are receiveing OPFP you do not have to go over to BTEA at all if you don't apply!! And you can then claim the maintenance grant and if you were on OPFP for 2009 and earned under the €22,700 income threshold you can get the full grant and special rate.

You will however lose any rent allowance if you are claiming it, but if you are already on rent allowance and do go onto BTEA and not claim the grant you can keep your rent allowance.

This has come from the Social Welfare directly and then confirmed by the higher education grants department.

sassypsych

Seriously???? so basically i should never have applied for the BTEA??
    Im soo confused by it all:confused::confused::confused:

Have been receiving OPFP for 4 years!!
    CAn't understand why the people in social welfare cant explain this to you when you go in to get BTEA form!!

Well I was looking into it for a few people I know and I spoke to the OPFP department themselves they said that while you are claiming OPFP you are perfectly entitled to go to become a full time student as long as you are still under the condition of OPFP ie not cohabiting or earning over a certain amount etc.

They said you do not have to apply for BTEA unless you wanted to, but that BTEA isn't means tested so it means you could work or receive any other money without it being affected and that if you stay on OPFP you will lose your rent allowance as students aren't able to get rent allowance.

They also said that if you are receiving rent allowance already and change over to BTEA you can keep your rent allowance though.

Don't know why the local authority told you different. They aren't the ones paying your OPFP and are only interested in what you earned in 2009. For all they know you could of been on OPFP in 2009 but recently of stopped which means you are no longer entitled to BTEA but fully entitled to the full grant based on your earnings of 2009.

This is crazy!!

Have been on OPFP for the past 4 years, dont have rent allowance, have a seasonal job. Went up to SW and explained that i would be going to college in sep, asked would i keep my OPFP or what-she told me to apply for BTEA,handed me the form, told me to fill it in and drop it back and that would be the only financial assistance i would get..
    So i have been scrapping for the past few months trying to put every spare penney i have away for the next year in college! College is 40 miles away from me, and i must drive to and from each day. ((not looking for any violins playing in the background))

So mad when i hear this now!!:mad:
    Going up first thing in the morning to SW, get this straightened out!!
    Thanks sassyphscy

You should call the OPF Department in Sligo direct. If they tell you any differently then they are changing their minds and I will be getting back onto them too as that is 100% the info they gave to me and others apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 curiouskat

hi all! wondering if anyone can help me. if i get a part time job now (on VTOS) will it stop me from getting BTEA?! Been trying to find this oot for ages!! thanks:)

sassypsych wrote: »
    You should call the OPF Department in Sligo direct. If they tell you any differently then they are changing their minds and I will be getting back onto them too as that is 100% the info they gave to me and others apparently.

Have just sent an email to them, but im also going into my local SW office tomor and going in personally to county council office on thur..:D
    Crazy, i know, but going to get some answers, hopefully:D

Also araic I noticed when you were talking about going into SW you said this:
    handed me the form, told me to fill it in and drop it back

But if you are getting OPFP means tested then you should be sending the BTEA to Sligo not back to the Social Welfare office. It states that clearly on the welfare website.

Just shows how conflicting the info is given from office to office it is terrible!!

HMMMMMMMMMMM interesting point!!
    Had to go on the website just to see and yea it clearly states to send it to sligo!!!
    Maybe it differs from each county?? me->kerry
    I don't know, its bloody ridiculous!!!! Hopefully il have some answers tomor:)

• Advertisement

HMMMMMMMMMMM interesting point!!
    Had to go on the website just to see and yea it clearly states to send it to sligo!!!
    Maybe it differs from each county?? me->kerry
    I don't know, its bloody ridiculous!!!! Hopefully il have some answers tomor:)

The standard of info provision in some local DSP offices is dire tbh. I have had to explain the rules of the scheme to some DSP staff for God's sake. I've also had to chase them up to correct things on the DSP website regarding the BTEA!:rolleyes:

If you are trying to find out what rules apply in your case the best thing to do is to check the scenario with multiple info points. For BTEA queries i use CIC, the BTEA dept in Carrick-on-Shannon and a DSP Job Facilitator. Also the Dept of Ed's financial policy unit in Tullamore has a complete list of all the scenarios regarding the BTEA and Grant and who can claim what. But Sassypsych is 100% correct that you can get the grant provided you are in receipt of OPFP prior to returning to education. The reason being that your OPFP remains the same payment but has a BTEA admin code attached to it to show you are in education, as I understand it. Anyway best of luck Araic26.

Advertisement