Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Education / Grant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

SSC= Student Services Charge (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Carolanne..

mikey1 wrote: »
    You can actually apply for both and receive both at the same time, if accepted of course! :)

no you cant, you can apply for both and receive the fees payment for to council and the grant OR get the fees paid for and get btea, itschanged in the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Carolanne..

araic26 wrote: »
    sassypsych

Seriously???? so basically i should never have applied for the BTEA??
    Im soo confused by it all:confused::confused::confused:

Have been receiving OPFP for 4 years!!
    CAn't understand why the people in social welfare cant explain this to you when you go in to get BTEA form!!

I am in the exact same situation as you are, more or less, in receiving OPFP for 3 years(You should go on RAS BTW) you should DEFINETLY apply for BTEA, it wil work out so much better in the long run , providing your gettin full cap on rent allowwance! its works out at apprpx 1500 mor over the year plus u can work and when summer comes you dont nedd to change over to opfp it automatically does it(well in regards to you go to socail and tell them summer until you go back onto opfp which can take 3 + months

who ever was saying that you can get the maintenence grant and keep opfp it is true but you lose yer rent all so u need to do the math and see if it suits you, and factor in the 500 book thing too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

I've been out of work since June and went on the JSB. I applied straight away to do an add-on year in the same course I completed in 2005, and I can't get the BTEA until I've been out of work 234 days????? WTF? Are they trying to retard the country even more?
    I sent off the for the grant recently and between the form and P45s, P60s, bills, copys of degrees etc there was a total of 28 pages altogether, Jesus they should provide a free one day course on how to do it alone!

I've only been skimming through this thread but am I fu<ked for allowances for going back to college?
    I'm single, no kids and I wan't to try to go back because no work is turning up so therefore because I've been out of work only 3 months I get no allowance? Or fees? Or rent allowance?

edit: I read on citizensinformation that you can qualify immediately for the BTEA if you have been awarded statutory redundancy. I hope I'm understanding that correct that you don't have to wait the 234 days, can anyone confirm? I'll try to give the local welfare office a ring next week anyway. Link below, it's mentioned in "Rules" > "Redundancy"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Info below is from Citizens Advice Site

Most colleges charge an annual student services charge. It is also known as a registration fee and it covers student services and examinations. The amount of the charge varies from one institution to another. The maximum rate of the student services charge for the year 2010/2011 is €1,500. If you have qualified for a maintenance grant, you will not have to pay the student services charge.

Exemptions from fees and charges
    If you do not qualify for the Free Fees Initiative, you may still qualify for full or partial payment of fees if you satisfy the conditions of the Higher Education Grants Scheme. You may also qualify for exemption from the student services charge.

If you are getting Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) you may qualify for exemption from the student services charge.

How to apply for exemption of Student Service Charges (Registraton Fee)
    There is no separate application for the Free Fees Initiative. Your eligibility will be assessed on the basis of the information you give when applying for a college place.

Use the student grant application form to apply for exemption from the student services charge and any fees that may apply to you. There are detailed guidance notes to help you when filling this form.

• Advertisement

I've been out of work since June and went on the JSB. I applied straight away to do an add-on year in the same course I completed in 2005, and I can't get the BTEA until I've been out of work 234 days????? WTF? Are they trying to retard the country even more?
    I sent off the for the grant recently and between the form and P45s, P60s, bills, copys of degrees etc there was a total of 28 pages altogether, Jesus they should provide a free one day course on how to do it alone!

I've only been skimming through this thread but am I fu<ked for allowances for going back to college?
    I'm single, no kids and I wan't to try to go back because no work is turning up so therefore because I've been out of work only 3 months I get no allowance? Or fees? Or rent allowance?

edit: I read on citizensinformation that you can qualify immediately for the BTEA if you have been awarded statutory redundancy. I hope I'm understanding that correct that you don't have to wait the 234 days, can anyone confirm? I'll try to give the local welfare office a ring next week anyway. Link below, it's mentioned in "Rules" > "Redundancy"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7928/back-to-education-allowance/index.html
    I already have an Ordinary degree qualification and I now wish to make it an honours degree qualification through further study. Is it possible to get the BTEA in these circumstances?

Yes.

However if you already have an hons degree see below

Check Previous Study on BTEA - http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7593/check-previous-study/index.html

If you already hold a third level undergraduate qualification, you can only apply for a BTEA to take an equivalent undergraduate course in very exceptional cases. You should contact your local social welfare office to discuss your eligibility before completing an application form.

You are not eligible to apply for the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification

I don't know where you are thinking of going to college/uni but if the are running a any new courses this year you could apply for the course and get the BTEA

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

If you were awarded Statutory Redundancy you may apply for BTEA, and provided you dont hold a similar or higher educational qualification i.e level 5,6,7,8 etc. you are entitled to attend college and will probably be approved, you must also have attained a college place.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Info below is from Citizens Advice Site

Most colleges charge an annual student services charge. It is also known as a registration fee and it covers student services and examinations. The amount of the charge varies from one institution to another. The maximum rate of the student services charge for the year 2010/2011 is €1,500. If you have qualified for a maintenance grant, you will not have to pay the student services charge.

Exemptions from fees and charges
    If you do not qualify for the Free Fees Initiative, you may still qualify for full or partial payment of fees if you satisfy the conditions of the Higher Education Grants Scheme. You may also qualify for exemption from the student services charge.

If you are getting Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) you may qualify for exemption from the student services charge.

How to apply for exemption of Student Service Charges (Registraton Fee)
    There is no separate application for the Free Fees Initiative. Your eligibility will be assessed on the basis of the information you give when applying for a college place.

Use the student grant application form to apply for exemption from the student services charge and any fees that may apply to you. There are detailed guidance notes to help you when filling this form.

I've been having a real issue with this; the VEC have told me that even if you are not applying for the grant you still need to fill out the entire grant application form, just to find out if you are eligible for the registration fees. This included everything you are assessed on for the maintenance grant, some of which i cannot get until after college starts due to a tax quirk, so i may end up having to pay the registration fees myself due to this

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gs39t wrote: »
    I've been having a real issue with this; the VEC have told me that even if you are not applying for the grant you still need to fill out the entire grant application form, just to find out if you are eligible for the registration fees. This included everything you are assessed on for the maintenance grant, some of which i cannot get until after college starts due to a tax quirk, so i may end up having to pay the registration fees myself due to this

what can you not get until after college starts due to a tax quirk?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

BornToBe? wrote: »
    For anyone on BTEA make sure you apply to the VEC for you SSC exemption ASAP. I know of several people who have been told they are not entitled to this at their local corporation offices however you can download the form from student finance.ie and send it in directly.

Do you have a link for this? couldn't find it on the website

Yep http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7658/download-maintenance-grant-application-form/index.html

You have to fill in the full maintenance grant even if you are only applying for SSC exemption.
    Remember the reckonable earnings are higher for the fee exemption then the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Martina05

I'm a bit confused. I've deferred my place in UCC till next year as I dont qualify for the BTEA or a grant. I will qualify for BTEA next year. Do I still have to pay the 11,000+ fees? I thought the state paid them???????

Martina05 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. I've deferred my place in UCC till next year as I dont qualify for the BTEA or a grant. I will qualify for BTEA next year. Do I still have to pay the 11,000+ fees? I thought the state paid them???????
    The state pays them once you are eligible for free fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 littlemaggot

Hi, I have a question about the Back to education allowance as well.
    Im a single mum with two young children. Desperately want to go back to college to do something. The problem is the kids ar two young, they ar only 3 and 4. One is in school from 8h50 to 12, the other is in school from 8h50 to 1h30. Its impossible to go to college either full time or part time.I found a suitable distance learning course. but the fees is quite expensive for me to pay (€1300 for the first year).
    wonder anyone could give me some advice?

Hi, I have a question about the Back to education allowance as well.
    Im a single mum with two young children. Desperately want to go back to college to do something. The problem is the kids ar two young, they ar only 3 and 4. One is in school from 8h50 to 12, the other is in school from 8h50 to 1h30. Its impossible to go to college either full time or part time.I found a suitable distance learning course. but the fees is quite expensive for me to pay (€1300 for the first year).
    wonder anyone could give me some advice?

BTEA is only for full time students

Possible sources of financial assistance that you could avail of are

Vincent dePaul
    Student Assistance Fund (enquire in the college but I think its only for full time students)
    Local Partnership Organisation - e.g. Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership
    Credit Union Loan

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YorkGold

Hi,

I have been in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance since last July. I was unemployed from July-November last year and have been signing on casually since then. Sometimes 3 days a week, sometimes no days at all.

I am now wondering if I can apply for BTEA? I have accepted a degree course offer and it is my first time to study.

I have in excess of the required 234 days but does it have to be 234 days in a row, ie no employment at all. Or is it acceptable for the 234 days to be spread out like my situation.

I've been told so many different things now that my head is dizzy!!

If anyone in my position, or anyone in the know could offer some information I would be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

YorkGold wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance since last July. I was unemployed from July-November last year and have been signing on casually since then. Sometimes 3 days a week, sometimes no days at all.

I am now wondering if I can apply for BTEA? I have accepted a degree course offer and it is my first time to study.

I have in excess of the required 234 days but does it have to be 234 days in a row, ie no employment at all. Or is it acceptable for the 234 days to be spread out like my situation.

If anyone in my position, or anyone in the know could offer some information I would be delighted!

My advice would be to ring the jobs facilitator in your local welfare office, or make an appointment to see them. I think you will get the BTEA and in my own experience the Jobs facilitator was the most helpful person I encountered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

So, I'm just about to pay my registration fee now but I want to make sure I've got this correct: I pay DIT, then Dublin CC pay DIT and DIT refund the fee to me?

Obviously this is based on the assumption that I will be approved for the HEG.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

still waiting.......................

Applied the first week of July, I called two weeks ago and the girl doing them said I would hear within a week max. I called last Tuesday and someone in the office took my pps number and said I would be called back. I called again today and was told the same thing. It's very hard to keep my head cool about it. I'm starting college next week and if I don't get the BTEA, I can't go to college. So, until I hear confirmation that I am approved, I can't go to look for a place to rent, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

Smarmy wrote: »
    still waiting.......................

Applied the first week of July, I called two weeks ago and the girl doing them said I would hear within a week max. I called last Tuesday and someone in the office took my pps number and said I would be called back. I called again today and was told the same thing. It's very hard to keep my head cool about it. I'm starting college next week and if I don't get the BTEA, I can't go to college. So, until I hear confirmation that I am approved, I can't go to look for a place to rent, etc.

I suggest you actually go into your local welfare office and speak to them directly instead of over the phone because it sounds like you're being messed around. I applied for my BTEA in the second week of August and I heard back within a week that I'd been accepted and all I needed was a letter confirming that I'm registered at my college before they started paying me.

You're more likely to get a proper answer in person.

^^ Thanks yeah I'm going to go into them on Wednesday, if nothing comes in the post or I don't get a phone call by then. I know the social welfare offices are up to their eyes, but it is messing me around a bit.

Ah let's hope this time next month, I'm in college, settled and all is good lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

HoPpiE wrote: »
    So, I'm just about to pay my registration fee now but I want to make sure I've got this correct: I pay DIT, then Dublin CC pay DIT and DIT refund the fee to me?

Obviously this is based on the assumption that I will be approved for the HEG.

You can do this if you want, but today at the mature welcome day, DIT are happy to wait for HEG (in your case DCC) to pay them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Cheers for the heads-up Chorcai but I already paid them on Monday.

Must say it was also nice of them to inform us that there was a Mature Student Welcome Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Still waiting to hear back about my application. Not so much as a letter of receipt. Think i'll give it until Friday morning and drop into the office then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

HoPpiE wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads-up Chorcai but I already paid them on Monday.

Must say it was also nice of them to inform us that there was a Mature Student Welcome Day.

Thats a pitty, Althou you wan did say they give refund with in 2 weeks of HEG/DCC paying them if you paid the fee yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Hi

I just got a letter this morning regarding my BTEA, it was asking to clarify what level of qualification was the Carpentry and Joinery Apprenticeship I had done, it turns out that it was level 6 and the course iv applied to do is level 5, so I think now im not going to get the BTEA because you cant get BTEA if your going back down a level, even though the course has nothing to do with the apprenticeship I did its an I.T course, anyone know what I can do now ? would i be entitled to the student grant ?

I called into see the guy in charge at my local Social Welfare office today and he said he himself had just started on Monday and had 250 applications to get through but he took mine out of the pile and processed it there and then. I will start getting the BTEA into my account starting next Thursday, provided I drop in proof of registration on Friday.

He said he usually waits a couple of weeks before giving the book allowance as in the past a few people have took the piss by registering with a course and dropping out after they got the 500 euro.

Have to say he was extremely nice and very helpful and I really appreciated it because I was getting worried about the whole thing as I need the BTEA and if I didn't get it, I wouldn't be able to go to college. And as it was so close to the starting date, I had already looked for a place and paid the deposit. So to say I'm relieved is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elexus86

YorkGold wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi just wondering how you got on?
    I am in a similar situation..

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

elexus86 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering how you got on?
    I am in a similar situation..

Cheers

You are entitled, either straightforward or accumulated, as far as you got 234 it is accepted.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sharra

Hi, just wondering if you got your fees situation sorted last year? I am in the same boat. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dubshot

Sharra wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if you got your fees situation sorted last year? I am in the same boat. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated :-D

Yea, applied for the BTEA and got it with no problems. You should also get a €500 one off allowance. As for fees I'm not sure but your local social welefare should be able to answer that question.

Hope thats off help:)

Advertisement