Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Bin

Options
  • 07-07-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Got a leaflet through the door tonight about the new brown bins being introduced. FFS are they serious? I mean, I'm all for the environment but

a) I don't want to pay for a poxy 3rd bin I didn't want
    b) I don't want to give precious garden space to yet another bin
    c) I don't want a mouldy bin full of food composting outside my house for a week, every week. The stink that'll come out of that as it ferments in the sun!!!!:mad:
    and d) A bucket would be more than adequate for the amount of food waste we throw out anyway (healthy appetite y'see ;))

Is it just me or this another way for those sh*tes in government to weasel another few quid out if us!!!:mad::mad:

Please....can anyone give me a good reason for this crap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

adser53 wrote: »
    Got a leaflet through the door tonight about the new brown bins being introduced. FFS are they serious? I mean, I'm all for the environment but

c) I don't want a mouldy bin full of food composting outside my house for a week, every week. The stink that'll come out of that as it ferments in the sun!!!!:mad:
    and d) A bucket would be more than adequate for the amount of food waste we throw out anyway (healthy appetite y'see ;))

Is it just me or this another way for those sh*tes in government to weasel another few quid out if us!!!:mad::mad:

Bit surprised by this: You say You are in Portlaoise? I'm in Newbridge, and AES serve both towns among others - I don't know who collects Your bins, but all I am saying is the brown bin concept is not new to the midlands. AES have had a 140 ltr brown bin now for a couple of years. I only have grass in my front garden, and the bin is always overflowing during the summer come the collection day. The smell is minimal also, also putting the grass cuttings helps to kill the 'aroma'. I actually have 4 bins, brown, blue, green & glass, and it works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Yup I'm in Portlaoise and I only have 2 bins (green & black) from Oxigen. AES do also provide a blue glass "bucket" to their customers but there's no brown bins down here yet (afaik).

I know the concept is far from new and they have them in Fingal in Dublin and a few other councils have implemented them (Kildare obviously as that's where you are) but afaik Laois & Offaly havn't yet but what really annoyed me was that there's going to be a charge on this (tba by the different providers) and I won't even nearly fill it in a month! Things are tight enough without increasing bin charges to include for a bin I neither need or want.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I got a letter form AES about a year ago now (I think) saying they were going to implement the brown bin. We're still waiting (I'm in Portarlington by the way).

The leaflet that came through my door was from the council and said it'll be happening over the coming weeks. And the charge is at the discretion of of your service provider :(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

I have all 3 bins. When the brown bin was delivered i felt the same. i didnt use it for the same reasons. but then i read thru the leaflet and its not that bad.

Its €2 a lift, no yearly charge, and i use it to get rid of the grass cuttings as i have a large front garden. First time i used it, my black bin was full and needed to be emptied, when i took the sacks of grass out and emptied them it into the brown bin, my black bin was almost empty!!!.. I only use it during the summer/autumn months and it saves me putting out the black bin. i only put food in during these months. Once the grass stops growing, i wash out the brown bin and put it into a shed till the following year.. im happy to have that 3rd bin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

As I say, I'm with AES. But my next door neighbour is with Oxigen, and when they gave Him the brown bin (Oxigen use a 240l brown bin, whereas AES only supply a 140l), His charge stayed the same IE NO increase for the brown bin.

Just to endorse what Woysworld says, when we first got the brown bin, and put in it what used to go into the general refuse bin ( green for AES) I was amazed the difference it made. Now I only put the green bin out every 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Why dont you get yourself a compost bin and put it down the back of the garden. You can put all your food waste and clippings in it. This is what the county councils are trying to encourage, they want to cut down on all food waste coming into the dumps. Is the brown bin compulsory or can you decide if you want it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

Why dont you get yourself a compost bin and put it down the back of the garden. You can put all your food waste and clippings in it. This is what the county councils are trying to encourage, they want to cut down on all food waste coming into the dumps. Is the brown bin compulsory or can you decide if you want it or not?

think its compulsory... i done remember having a choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

woysworld wrote: »
    Its just another way the authorities have at getting their big fat cat hands into your pockets.
    No wonder there is so much rubbish these days along the roads and ditches.
    How on earth do they expect people on social welfare to pay such high bin charges?

woysworld wrote: »

Your right, it is compulsory. The leaflet says that composting yourself means nothing. If they want to encourage recycling then the brown and green bins should be free. It's just another way to con money out of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

If its free I dont mind throwing it in the shed and never using it but Im paying too much for refuse collection as is. Cheeky bastards.

Thats it exactly. I think I'm going to have to look around for waste collectors now because I'm paying around €30 a month as is and I only put my bins out every 2 weeks and even at that they're half empty. I'm with Oxigen and the service is perfect but there has to be a cheaper option around.

Living in Dublin a few years ago I remember the bin tags being a pain in the arse if you forgot to get one before collection day but at least I was only paying per collection. Is there any companies serving Portlaoise that charge on a "per-collection" basis or anything?

Actually, is there a website or anything that shows the prices and comparisons of the different agencies even? If there isn't and anyone happens to have the info to hand could they post it up here please?

I'd just give all of them a quick call. Sometimes the reps will give u a deal for switching companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Thats it exactly. I think I'm going to have to look around for waste collectors now because I'm paying around €30 a month as is and I only put my bins out every 2 weeks and even at that they're half empty. I'm with Oxigen and the service is perfect but there has to be a cheaper option around.

Living in Dublin a few years ago I remember the bin tags being a pain in the arse if you forgot to get one before collection day but at least I was only paying per collection. Is there any companies serving Portlaoise that charge on a "per-collection" basis or anything?

Actually, is there a website or anything that shows the prices and comparisons of the different agencies even? If there isn't and anyone happens to have the info to hand could they post it up here please?

We just switched from oxigen to Ray Whelan, he collects the black bin every week, recycling every two weeks, but he also offers a smaller size black bin, which is obviously cheaper. We have got nothing from him regarding the new brown bin yet tho, so will wait and see.
    Ray Whelan also does bin tags, and he's agood bit cheaper than oxigen a nd you get the whole first month free thing when you switch, and i think another month free if you pay up front or by dd.

http://www.raywhelanltd.com/

thanks for that, must give them a call :)

Just checked out Ray Whelans site there, the brown bin will cost an additional €5 per month.
    Ray Whelan wrote:
    We have introduced our new compost wheelie bins. We are still in the process of rolling out this service to our full catchment area, So for the time been these bins will be subject to availabilty in certain locations. Please contact our office should you wish to avail of this service. Collection of these bins will be fortnightly with an additional charge of €5 per month. If you would like to find out more details about this service please get in touch with us through our Contact page or if you would like to order one of these bins simply go to our Bin Order page and fill in the form and we will be in touch very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

AES are going to charge €7 a collection :eek::eek::eek:

2 collections a year so.

I've emailed Oxigen and AES too to check out their prices for comparison. I'm paying €27.50 a month with Oxigen at the minute but I've no idea how much the brown bin will add to it. I also asked them about that.

Here's the price list for Ray Whelan's for the Portlaoise Area. It doesn't say anything about the Brown bin on it. We already know it's going to be an extra €5 per month but I'm waiting on an email back to see how that'll work with the tag-a-bin service.

Yeah jesus I hope its on a per collection basis, Im with Oxigen myself, already feels like Im paying too much for some dude to empty my bin into his van once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

We dont have a choice when it comes to using the brown bin as it's an EU directive and if you fail to comply you can be prosecuted. Some Councils have also opted to increase landfill charges in order to cover the cost of segregating waste because of this new directive. So, sadly, we're stuck with it - unless we have a massive revolt! But the people of this county do not seem to opt for revolt - they just roll over and accept what comes along!

• Advertisement

well AES never bothered to contact me back. Oxigen rang to say they don't do a ''per collection'' option. They charge the same as RW for the smaller 140litre black bin per month (23). They dont know yet how mch the brown bin will add to their price. I think I'm gonna change to RW and pay per collection. It'll work ot cheaper as I'll only be ptting the bin ot once a month (so 14 per month) instead of paying the standard monthly charges from oxigen(27). It's a pain paying for collections that I don't need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

We got a typed letter from ray whelan, completlely different to the one my mam recieved stating that the brown bin was optional and if we decided to take it, it will cost only one euro per collection. We needed to sign and return the form if we want the bin.

Mam recieved a leaflet (more official looking than my letter), telling her that is was mandatory. No price indication on hers. We are living about five miles apart and both with ray whelan?

Confused moi, qui.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lucylou

well AES never bothered to contact me back. Oxigen rang to say they don't do a ''per collection'' option. They charge the same as RW for the smaller 140litre black bin per month (23). They dont know yet how mch the brown bin will add to their price. I think I'm gonna change to RW and pay per collection. It'll work ot cheaper as I'll only be ptting the bin ot once a month (so 14 per month) instead of paying the standard monthly charges from oxigen(27). It's a pain paying for collections that I don't need

Hi Adser

I'm with AES and they recently sent out a letter advising of their new pay per collection system. There is a six monthly service charge of €75 (€50 for new customers for the first 6 months). It's €7 per collection for 240L refuse bin, €6 for 140l refuse bin and €3 for brown bin. I'm not sure what size the brown bin is. The recycling and glass bin are free. I rang to change over to this as I was paying €30 a month and hardly needed to put the bins out. I did query the service charge which the lad said was for the trucks being on the road. Still dear but cheaper than it was. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Got a letter from AES stating the brown bin will be available at no extra cost. If you want the bin, you just have to mail back a form.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lola1

I really object to being charged the same for the brown bin as for the black (landfill stuff) bin -after all, the contents of the brown bin are going for re-cycling. Add to that the fact that I have an infestation of fruit flies and I can't leave any food uncovered. Can't even leave my glass of wine without getting lots of foreign bodies in it! I'm going to stop using my brown bin and just concentrate on the black bin and my composter which is brilliant and saves me a fortune.

I have not been given a brown bin yet - and to be totally honest I dont want one! It sounds disgusting, offensive and totally unhygenic and I think it would have to be power-washed every week after it was emptied! I am all for recycling and do it all the time and very well, but this brown bin idea just makes me feel queasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lola1

Yes, I agree. Although I think the idea is that we keep our brown bin stuff in the kitchen in a container, empty it every day into a newspaper and then put it into the bin - it doesn't go into the brown bin unwrapped. Yuck! Either way, I'm going to just continue with it until I have enough to have it collected then finito!

Personally, they can give me a brown bin but you'll never see it outside my house. Maybe in the summer ill use it for the grass but there is literally no food waste in my house. What id put in it would be so insignificant that it'd be composted away before it'd fill the bin. Like you both, the thoughts of a festering bin of scraps outside the back door puts me right off

Personally, they can give me a brown bin but you'll never see it outside my house. Maybe in the summer ill use it for the grass but there is literally no food waste in my house. What id put in it would be so insignificant that it'd be composted away before it'd fill the bin. Like you both, the thoughts of a festering bin of scraps outside the back door puts me right off

I used it once to get rid of my grass trimmings before the weather turned. Since then its been blocking my dogs from the part of the fence they broke :)

• Advertisement

I know this is the wrong place to post this as it's not a rubbish issue (I think!!:D) but what is going on with the shop in Esker Hills??

Advertisement