Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant Plink

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Bush80 wrote: »
    I thought it whiffs on everybody?

Nope. It definately hits some of the bigger characters anyway. Seems much harder to land though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

whiffs most though, you wouldnt be pulling that on larger characters anyway like zangief or rufus, maybe abel if anyone,
    Red plays ryu but pretends he can play chun too.
    jog on mate , jog on :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

I thought it whiffs on everybody?

I never really noticed it whiffing on anyone but blanka, though you'd know a lot more about chun than I do.

@Farz: FT10 chun mirror at the next casuals...if you turn up ;)

GRUDGE match online tonight
    best out of ten

see you on IRC BUDDY

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Practiced a bit of plinking for 10 minutes, was able to get Cody's st.mp cr.hp 1f link consistently. Its a handy trick to learn and doesn't take too much practice to get down. My initial problem was holding the buttons for too long after the plink, causing me to do EX Rocks, instead of Ruffian/Upper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I've a rusty chun in my arsenal too :p

Plinking is still something I don't really get and don't do at all. I always thought it was about tricking the game into making the heavier normal come out in the frames the lighter normal comes out in.

I never knew c.lp to c.mk on shotos was a 1 frame link :eek: I thought it was standard stuff , used to hit it whenever I wanted on pad, on stick I'm only 70% and i put it down to me being a general retard on stick.

Been playing more guile then chun of late. I'd do cross over with lk, then c.lk c.lp c.mp - ex flash kick.

I find I'll more likley to miss the j.lk to c.lk part then anything else, and if this happens the guys blocking so I'll change to a sonic boom (must try the back hand thing doom said)

With ibuki the linking I do is c.lp c.lp s.mk -> her 3 kicks thing sometimes I'd I'd add a 3rd s.lp in there I think it makes the link easier.

Problem is its not the link its the cancel from s.mk to whatever, that I'm constantly ****ing up.

I keep pressing down too early turning the s.mk to a c.mk which can't cancel into anything. :mad:

I'll try chuns thing with plinking to see if I can get it. Or without plinking even

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

see allioune discovered over on srk you can plink with the select button.I have no idea if this has any practical usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

I had to get plinking down fairly fast when i started trying to play the game seriously.

Abel's BnB is a one frame link so I'd no choice. It's interesting to hear of people who don't really do it as being new to the game I thought it was a given.

But you still need to have the timing of the link down anyway so it's not the holy grail some folks over on srk would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I'll try and post my two cents (please correct me if there are any mistakes)

P-linking (priority linking) works based on it's name, input/button priorities. When buttons are pressed simultaneously the game uses a priority system to determine which input is given (i.e, the input with the most priority comes out)

Fierce has more priority than strong, as strong has more priority than a jab, likewise, with kicks, roundhouse has more priority than forward, and forward has more priority than short

Kicks have more priority than punches, so in order, the priority sits as follows

Roundhouse[HK]>Fierce[HP]>Forward[MK]>Strong[MP]>Short[LK]>Jab[LP]

That's how the game decides what comes out, for e.g ; If I press fierce and strong at the same time, fierce comes out, as fierce has more priority and the game goes with said input

Now onto the plinking itself and I will keep it simple (as I can). To increase your chances on hard links (most importantly one frame links), using p-linking adds an extra input i.e, one frame (in effect, 1 frame links are doubled, 2 frame links become 3 etc etc). The actual input is simple on paper but takes a little technique and getting used to.

Say for example I want to do Ryu's f+fierce, cr.fierce, that is a one frame link, I need to have 1/60th of a second precision. If I plink, I double my chances. Speaking, one frame links are done by eye, you try and judge when one move finishes and you try and input on spot, if you are a frame late or early, you drop it. With plinking, you can be one frame early or on frame, if you are one frame late you still drop it

For plinking a fierce, you hit fierce first, then while holding fierce press a button of lower priority (in my opinion it's best just to go down one, it's easier on your hands).

So the input is fierce~fierce+strong

The way plinking works is that when you press fierce, that is a fierce input, and when you hold fierce and press strong, that is a fierce input. You have to be quick with plinking

If done right it should show as

mp+hp
    hp

Here is a video to help see the timing and I apologise if I went off on a tangent

As you can see it looks like he is pressing them at the same time, but you can hear he is pressing both one after the other fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Some day I shall learn the sacred art of plinking.Dont really get it but the way I see it its's just like a Kara throw but the 2 move come out in quick succesion.I dont thinks its actually a fundamental part of the game( well not for me as a Ken player) as the links can still be hit without it. That said it makes 1 frame links easier..I can only think of jab,jab crouch fierce punch, tatsu as an example

F**k that... Dragon punch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Speed Boat wrote: »
    I had to get plinking down fairly fast when i started trying to play the game seriously.

Abel's BnB is a one frame link so I'd no choice. It's interesting to hear of people who don't really do it as being new to the game I thought it was a given.

But you still need to have the timing of the link down anyway so it's not the holy grail some folks over on srk would have you believe.

Its more of a character specific necessity. Characters like Abel with his t.mk st.hp 1f link need plinking. Im lucky that Cody has few plink-able 1f links, only one of which is slightly useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

God I hate the Rufus Dive-kick->LK~LK~HP plink needed to finish with Galactic Tornado :mad:

Good post ramza.

I must really practice this for ryus f+heavy punch linking.

Out of interest, how much do you plink?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I plink some stuff, I mean you don't have to but if you can, why not. I plink Ryu cr.strong, ct.strong, cr.roundhouse, f+fierce > cr.fierce, loads of stuff. Any hard links rly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Personally, i'd rather get a combo down than plink it. Rufus' breadnbutter dive-kick, LK, HP, tornado is almost perfectly in my muscle memory (no plinking) so i'm just gonna keep working on it till i have it perfect.

I see where your coming from Terry, but I think the idea is that you use the same timing/muscle memory but just add that extra button press and it doubles your chances.

I went into training mode and tried that chun combo yesterday, doing it the normal way (no plinking)

I got it instantly and proceeded to do it about 6 times in a row making me feel all smug an shit. :rolleyes: Messed around with others stuff and went to try it again and I totally lost it. Tried plinking and I got it again...

Need to train that **** with my ryu me thinks.

Sisko wrote: »
    I think the idea is that you use the same timing/muscle memory but just add that extra button press and it doubles your chances.

It just doesn't seem very pure to me. Do pad players do it for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Sisko wrote: »
    I see where your coming from Terry, but I think the idea is that you use the same timing/muscle memory but just add that extra button press and it doubles your chances.

Ye you still use the same timing but you just get 2 chances to hit instead of 1, might as well do it.

I dont think the timing of 1 frame links on their own is hard. Adding in a motion like galactic tornado at the end is what messes me up.

bush can you execute chuns thing regularly
    any tips ? i end up mashing AND/OR it doesnt connect

only works 5o% of the time , which is useless.

Placebo wrote: »
    any tips? i end up mashing

Hmmm, let me see what a good tip would be..........

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »

The 3 jabs into fierce? You just do it slow, you cant mash or it wont work. So you do it jab..jab..jab...fierce. It takes awhile to get down.
    You cant mash links. I didnt know this either for ages and had to get out of the habbit of mashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

animaX wrote:
    Personally, i'd rather get a combo down than plink it. Rufus' breadnbutter dive-kick, LK, HP, tornado is almost perfectly in my muscle memory (no plinking) so i'm just gonna keep working on it till i have it perfect.
    Yeah, I'm kinda chancing it with the 2nd LK tbh.

Must check a vanilla combo I saw yesterday:
    Jump-in HK (1 hit), HP, EX Messiah FADC Ultra 1.

What's the damage on that compared to BnB?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm kinda chancing it with the 2nd LK tbh.

Must check a vanilla combo I saw yesterday:
    Jump-in HK (1 hit), HP, EX Messiah FADC Ultra 1.

What's the damage on that compared to BnB?

Only benefit of the second LK is to maybe hit confirm into target combo ultra 1 or to tick throw. I see no real benefit to second LK.

No idea about the damage but i know that its tricky to time the HK to do one hit. You could just replace that with jumping HP (in close enough to opponent)

Justin Wong says he does the second lk to hit confirm it so he can continue the pressure if its all blocked. He says you loose momentum if you do a blocked tornado.

animaX wrote: »
    Hmmm, let me see what a good tip would be..........

pick a higher tier character, perhaps ? ;)

p.s thanks bush

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

animaX wrote: »
    It just doesn't seem very pure to me. Do pad players do it for example?

We pad players are the purest of the pure, sticks are an abomination.

Anyway, you can plink on a pad. A bit trickier but certainly possible since it's just hitting buttons. I don't do it though. Never bothered with even the thought of it until I was messing around in Training and realised it's easy enough to plink from medium to light with just my thumb.

So I tried plinking cammy's cr.hp cr.mk link. Hitting the buttons differently threw me off though. Things like changing the strength of the spiral arrow are enough to differentiate it enough to throw off my timing. Like you, this particular link is drilled into my head enough that I can consistently get it just with pure button presses. Changing up my approach, even if it was more helpful, made it more awkward to land.

The advantages of plinking are obvious and probably worth the effort but I figure since I'm already hitting my links consistently enough then I don't see the need atm. Though if I whiff that damn link in one more inferno then I probably should think about picking it up lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

The 3 jabs into fierce? You just do it slow, you cant mash or it wont work. So you do it jab..jab..jab...fierce. It takes awhile to get down.
    You cant mash links. I didnt know this either for ages and had to get out of the habbit of mashing.

Yeah I was the very same with mashing the lp's. Hitting them slower and individually is what got it for me.

BanjoB wrote: »
    Yeah I was the very same with mashing the lp's. Hitting them slower and individually is what got it for me.

I spent ages in training for the first 6 months wondering why my combos were not working, lol.
    How do they expect people to know this kind of thing anyway without explaining it?

Cobelcog wrote: »
    Hitting the buttons differently threw me off though. Things like changing the strength of the spiral arrow are enough to differentiate it enough to throw off my timing. Like you, this particular link is drilled into my head enough that I can consistently get it just with pure button presses. Changing up my approach, even if it was more helpful, made it more awkward to land.

Yeah this is how i feel. But at least i don't use turbo :P

• Advertisement

Yeah for me I can't see myself adding plinking into the 1 frame links I get anyway, its the ones I generally miss that I'll try in include plinking into.

Speaking in terms on 'pureness' though Terry I mean , its kinda stuff like this that makes Street Fighter. Its the same as Karas and hell going all the way back to cancels. So I wouldn't get too hung up on pureness, as in way , this is pure street fighter right there. :D

Farz wrote: »

Theres a rhythm to it , pay attention to the sound of the hits. This helped me anyway, keep in mind I'm not plinking yet.

Advertisement