Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxegen 2010

• 07-07-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭

What are the chances I can bring in my 40D or 400D to Oxegen?? Would it get in, or would i get stopped.

How would one get a photographer pass for the event? Id nearly sell my kidney to get a pass.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Don't risk bringing a nice camera to an event like Oxegen if your in the regular campsites. And unless you know someone at MCD you won't get a pass. I have several contacts and got a 'no' from them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I know I will be raging when I see others floating around with their camera and better ones than mine. I was at P!nk the other week, I was honestly feet away from her, if I had my camera I would have got savage photos, instead of taking crappy ones with a compact. I kept thinking of all the photos I could have got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Last year I would have gotten my SLR in if I was bothered and shortly after I met a friend who would have given me his pass. I just managed to score some freebies for this years oxegen and now I'm on the hunt for a photo pass which hopefully I should be able to get if things work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Don't do it. It'll be stolen.

If it's not stolen you'll be set on fire inside your tent and die.

Either way you won't be using it next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not allowed bring them in, so you'd get stopped at the gates...

Fajitas managed to get a mamiya 645 in last year, got some epic shots too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

I'm VERY tempted to try and bring my dslr in ,but weighing it up its not worth it really ..it'd be a sickner to be fecked out ,however if i could get my hands on a photographer's pass.. :)

I think the photo's of the people are the best -you see some mental things in around the festival itself and campsites ,let alone taking pics of the artists !

Ill have to make do with my n95 ;)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Compact! Looking at someone walk around with a camera is much less a sickner than having yours smashed / stolen / confiscated.

If you are dyeing to bring an slr could you pick up a 300d or canon d60 on ebay (probably for around £100 body only) a fd to ef converter and an fd 50mm 1.8 or 28mm? or juts a film slr like an eos 500 which could be picked up real cheap.
    OR... Something like a ae1 with a 28 / 50 mm fd lens? All would be great for taking shots of people and you would probably sneak it in, none look uber professional and if they did get confiscated you are out 40-160 quid depending on what you went with. Much less a risk then bringing a dslr and a telephoto.
    I wouldnt even chance that but if you think its worth it thats prob the cheapest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭afatbollix

you would be able to bring it into the campsite.. But not into the stage area..

Was working at it last it last year taking some photos of our kit that was set up on stage and over runs a sercurity guy.. Its not worth the hassle to be honest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'd say you'd get away with bringing it in.
    BUT where are you going to store it? If you're camping I wouldn't trust leaving it in a tent unless you're sleeping with it. Otherwise you'll have to stick it in tupperware and burying it under your tent. Not ideal either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I was there just for one of the days about 5 years ago [The year the Chilli's headlined the Sunday] - It might have tightened up a lot since, but I had a sports shoulder bag with me. They merely opened it and peeked in, saw clothes and handed it back to me. I could easily have had a dslr underneath. I had a compact camera in my hand - so they obviously allow them.

I wonder what is their limit? they don't care about compacts or phone cameras ... would you get away with a micro 4/3? and a zoom lens? Do they only stop dslrs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The last time I went to a full weekend of Oxegen was in 2007 and I brought the 400d. I wasn't camping, staying in a hotel nearby. I just brought it the one day because the nerves got the better of me, every time a security guy looks your way you think "Is he gonna batter me for having a camera or is he looking out for people's safety?".

I got some good shots over the day with it though. It was a mucky year so I had a lens in the front of my welly and the body of the camera in the bag I had on me. For all my bit of stressing though I had no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The rules are 'cameras with detachable lenses' are not allowed into the arena. Tbh, it isn't worth bringing your DSLR, you're going to be worrying about it the whole time, and the weather really isn't looking good this weekend.

I was able to bring along my medium format the last two year, but they've deemed me to be of significantly less importance this year, so I'm just bringing along a rangefinder (With non-detachable lens!!) that'll cost 60 quid to replace.

Getting press passes for the event will be near impossible at this stage.

Anyways, here's some photos from last year taken on one of these :)

I always find with those old cameras, they look a lot cooler than the shots that come off them. I seriously think a good compact would get much better results. No offence, but the softness of the images works for some, but not all of the images. there are some nice ones in there though.

Is that you with the shades? Like yourself just a little eh? :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The rules are 'cameras with detachable lenses' are not allowed into the arena. Tbh, it isn't worth bringing your DSLR, you're going to be worrying about it the whole time, and the weather really isn't looking good this weekend.

I was able to bring along my medium format the last two year, but they've deemed me to be of significantly less importance this year, so I'm just bringing along a rangefinder (With non-detachable lens!!) that'll cost 60 quid to replace.

Lovely camera

I always find with those old cameras, they look a lot cooler than the shots that come off them. I seriously think a good compact would get much better results. No offence, but the softness of the images works for some, but not all of the images. there are some nice ones in there though.
    Different strokes for different folks, eh? I'd never have gotten the photos I wanted on a compact.
    No, I'm the guy in the reflection with the camera taking the photo of the guy with the shades... :)
    thefly wrote: »
    Lovely camera
    It's more of a brute of a camera than anything else, but it puts up with the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Different strokes for different folks, eh? I'd never have gotten the photos I wanted on a compact.

Beautiful shots, I really like them.

Course. Nothing wrong with the images, they're just a bit soft and hazy for my liking is all. useful for certain images though. Looks like a big thing to lug about?

Looks like a big thing to lug about?

It's a brute :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what do you use to scan the shots?

A mate of mine works in a lab, so he put'em through on their machine - They don't usually do 120, but a few pints usually helps.

I have a crappy Canoscan at home, but I've never gotten anything decent from 120 on it.

Fwiw, RuaRed in Tallaght are supposed to have a fantastic scanning facility. I think I'll be using it next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

They don't usually do 120, but a few pints usually helps

A few pints and I'm anybody's ;)

Ain't that the truth.

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They don't usually do 120, but a few pints usually helps.
    i never knew you could develop film in stout...

You'd want to see what he uses to fix...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

Right I will bring my little compact Samsung ES60 :-( wont get the photos I want to get, but sure at the end of the day, its only 3 days and its not worth risking my cameras getting distroyed. However if anyone would like to give me the opportunity to get a photographer's pass.. Id be extremly greatful to them for life, Id even might name my first born after them !:D

That's not strictly true, as I said earlier, I was offered one when I got in last year and I've bluffed ones at events I've had regular press passes for before.

So you turned up, went to the press desk and asked for a press pass and they handed one over, no problemo? Or you knew someone with a few passes, someone didn't turn up and you took that one? Because they definitely weren't offering then around last year (as opposed to the year before) and this year's been an even harder pain in the ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Soft!? You must be having a giraffe?

You would never get the same amount of detail on a compact. It would certainly look cleaner but not as detailed! Theres no autofocus on 120 like there is on compacts. So all the soft ones are Als fault and not the camera :pac:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

dazftw wrote: »
    Soft!? You must be having a giraffe?

You would never get the same amount of detail on a compact. It would certainly look cleaner but not as detailed! Theres no autofocus on 120 like there is on compacts. So all the soft ones are Als fault and not the camera :pac:

sharpness is such a bourgeois concept.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sharpness is such a bourgeois concept.

So is high tea. I wouldn't have it every day, but it is a nice treat twice a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The last time I went to a full weekend of Oxegen was in 2007 and I brought the 400d. I wasn't camping, staying in a hotel nearby. I just brought it the one day because the nerves got the better of me, every time a security guy looks your way you think "Is he gonna batter me for having a camera or is he looking out for people's safety?".

I got some good shots over the day with it though. It was a mucky year so I had a lens in the front of my welly and the body of the camera in the bag I had on me. For all my bit of stressing though I had no issues.

Any photos from 07 to share?

So you turned up, went to the press desk and asked for a press pass and they handed one over, no problemo? Or you knew someone with a few passes, someone didn't turn up and you took that one? Because they definitely weren't offering then around last year (as opposed to the year before) and this year's been an even harder pain in the ass!
    Last year I knew someone who was there DJing early on the Friday and then he was leaving, he had a photo pass and offered it to me. Previously I've had a press pass but no photo pass and blagged one when picking up a press pass. This year I was told to bring my gear and it'll be sorted out when I get there. I'm not entirely certain but I'm going to bring it and just risk having to bring it back to the car if it doesn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Blagging photo-passes is nigh on impossible!

It's not like there's a security guard with them - there's a head MCD chief allocated a certain number of them, which are named and passed out. If you knew someone wasn't going but wasn't down for one, you could chance your arm. But if the other person was any which way known, the MCD crowd would spot you a mile off.

The amount of rubbish you'd have to sign for the likes of Eminem etc., would mean that they'd have to be extra stingey with passes this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Agree with above, I had a support press pass for an mcd event once, ie support act only and no matter how much begging there wasn't a chance of a pass for the main act, I got 4 pit passes for friends, easily but press was a no no, they even ensured my press pass was different to all others and supervised me pack my camera away after my work was sone! I was allowed stay on grounds with the camera but I was well watched too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

i'm glad it rained today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You evil man. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Its just so easy sit down on the couch with a few beers and have a little smile to yourself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Normally we have a f*** Oxegen Punk DIY gig but this year it didn't materialise, normally it's like 200 of us evil types all with a can in our hands and sitting on some DIY stool laughing about rain on oxegen day.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

Jealous laughing or evil laughing?

Didnt get the pass but got a few nice shots of some acts I wanted to see. The whole thing was like a safari. I was prepared for the rain so I didn't get wet but it's was a bit miserable. I love how much I hate the Black Eyed Peas so was sad that I had to come back to Dublin early to catch Tortoise in Whelans. It was better than everything at oxegen combined. Was amazed to hear some ignorant bogger at Tinariwen say "we left that tent to come see a bunch of n1gger$ in the rain?"

• Advertisement

i'd like to have gone to tortoise but i imagine the amount of beard stroking would have reached near fatal levels.

Beard stroking didnt seem to be going on much. Price was a little steep, probably more than when they played Olympia years ago. I saw them at Primavera and they were really good but it was still at a fest. It was great to be right up the front to see them play.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Any photos from 07 to share?

Sure thing.
    764164774_845c84cc66.jpg

762824309_3746e7edd2.jpg

763666518_7a147241c0.jpg

762762040_849ea7fac9.jpg

763470056_b58049a915.jpg

763546028_d3a7e52bc0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Effects wrote: »
    Was amazed to hear some ignorant bogger at Tinariwen say "we left that tent to come see a bunch of n1gger$ in the rain?"
    Roight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Looks like AnimalRights got his wish!

34303_472360287728_529267728_6411682_2721631_n.jpg

^^^
    It's sights like that that make me glad I skipped it once again this year. I was gonna go for Saturday but decided against.

I don't want this to sound like an "I'm getting old" complaint but in 2007 by midway through day 2 my body was aching, hips and legs were getting the strain from treading through the muck, and not having a solid ground to stand on all day and no dry patch to sit on takes it's toll on you. 3 days of it is tough going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you wanted to make a post apocalyptic movie on the cheap you could do worse than sneak a camera into oxegen .

I can only imagine how how bad the campsite was. That said, it's a lot better organised than Electric Picnic.

Effects wrote: »
    That said, it's a lot better organised than Electric Picnic.

If it's better organised than EP, it's only because EP came along and put the ****s up MCD. Straight away they fired out a survey asking "were you at electric picnic, if so what can we do that they do?"
    Nothing wrong with trying to be constructive, but they didn't care about that before they had a rival.

Well I've found it better organised two years in a row. I got to EP last year and none of the security and staff on site knew what they were doing. I had artist parking and was told to just park behind one of the stages and they would give me a call if they needed me to move my car, which was pretty stupid. Staff didn't have site maps and general parking was a joke. They didn't have much of a system in place to deal with the bad weather at EP yet they handled it a lot better at Oxegen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement