Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First day mountain biking, few questions

• 07-07-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

So i had an awesome evening up at Tree rock mountain doing some trails today. first time out. although i have a lot to learn, i had an absolute blast.

I have two questions:

1. I have to take off the front wheel to fit the bike in the car. The axel is alkward. I dont have a model number for it, but its the one that comes standard on the trek 6300. there are two springs that go either side of the forks. i have to completely remove the axel in order to be able to get it back in correctly on the bike. I thought i could just loosen it and i could slide the wheel on and off.

can anyone recommend a better axel that i can use thats more convinient?

2. do you clean your bike after every ride? its a bit dusty, but nothing serious. Does it need a clean each time its out?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'd be stunned if you didn't have quick release wheels. per this bike

1. Do your forks have a little raised section at the base (on the side), only evident when the wheel is off? Bikes very often come with them. Even with those, and certainly without, you should have no difficulty flicking the quick release lever and being able to remove the wheel at ease.

I took to sanding down those little raises to ease wheel replacement.

2. no. If you had a mechanic at home you'd relube the chain, post cleaning it. But especially after a spin in dry conditions, this can be done much less frequently than daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

the hub is a Shimano M475-L. it is a quick release, but not the same as in the image you sent. its quite alkward IMP. maby i just have to get used to using it.

Can i buy a new axel or do you need to buy a whole new hub?

An image of the hub is located here. the thumb clip thing is much more alkward that what you have in your picture.

http://velospec.ru/i/db/shimano/c/fhm475/fhm475-full.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

have you tried loosening the brakes?

If the gap is too small between the brake pads, then it doesnt matter what your axle is like, your wheel isnt going anywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

id rather not touch the breaks as they feel just fine . also, when i remove the axel i get the wheel on just fine. i think its just that i have to get used to the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's just your "lawyer lips" there which are preventing you from whipping it out easy, your call as to whether or not you leave them on or file them off, on an MTB I'd personally leave them on in case you catch a branch and the lever gets flipped, least the wheel won't fall out of the fork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

fguihen wrote: »
    when i remove the axel i get the wheel on just fine.

then its something else, I said it cause you never know with people :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You're doing something wrong - you shouldn't have to remove the quick-release (not axle) to remove the wheel.

fguihen wrote: »
    2. do you clean your bike after every ride? its a bit dusty, but nothing serious. Does it need a clean each time its out?

You don't need to clean the bike every time - only when necessary. Make sure the drivetrain (chainrings, chain, sprockets) are clean though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 steveoracle

The main reason for cleaning is to avoid excessive wear due to dust and grit in the drive train, I tend to keep chain sprockets etc clean but the frame I don't bother with ..

S

Advertisement