Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to clean marks off marble floor??

• 07-07-2010 10:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

We are tryng to get off blobs of filler,paint stains and also dried in masking tape that the painter stupidly left down on the marble floor,when he was finished painting the skirting boards.

Most of the masking tape has come up,but bits of it are stuck with sticky residue to the marble floor.

Whats the best product for cleaning marks and stains off of marble flooring.

I know that things like Cillit Bang and Cif are a no go for marble,so what can I use.

The masking tape and filler marks are absolutely bet into the floor,and my girlfriend is wanting to kill the painter and maybe kill me too,if I cant get this sorted fast.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Oh dear

Try a scraper to clean off the paint, or use thinners (at your own risk, not sure if it'll damage the floor)

imo, I'd just go back to the painter, His doing, his responsibility. I'd get him to sort it, or let the missus after him. He should have insurance of this sort of thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Oh dear

Try a scraper to clean off the paint, or use thinners (at your own risk, not sure if it'll damage the floor)

imo, I'd just go back to the painter, His doing, his responsibility. I'd get him to sort it, or let the missus after him. He should have insurance of this sort of thing

Im sick and tired of ringing and getting the run around from the builder and painter.

Id rather just try and clean it up myself,but dont want to use anything that can cause damage to a marble floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭skippy15

paddy147 wrote: »
    Im sick and tired of ringing and getting the run around from the builder and painter.

Id rather just try and clean it up myself,but dont want to use anything that can cause damage to a marble floor.

Major lesson in dealing with all contractors arrange a pyamnet plan eg 50 upfront and rest when finished....and only just only when your completly happy with every aspect... they wont be long fixing the bits that way

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The wife says wd40 should soften up the masking tape and not damage the floor,(id try a small out of the way patch first)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

See if you can find a scrap of marble to test chemicals on before you put them near your floor. Leave the chemical on the scrap marble for a while to make sure it doesn't cause a problem.

You should also really call the dealer you bought the marble from. The manufacturer may have a data sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Right Price Tiles just sorted me out.

Marble floor cleaner and degreaser.

Dilute it with water and then rub or mop it well into the stain,leave it for 10 mins.

It breaks down the paint or masking tape residue but wont eat into the sealer layer or the marble itself.

I also got a paint scraper type blade too,just incase I have to get down and out some serious elbow grease into it.

Advertisement