Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential treatment centre?

Options
  • 07-07-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

A friend of mine is having problems with alcohol. He has ended up in hospital several times, and now wants to get help.
    He is looking for a residential treatment centre in or close to Dublin.
    He has contacted Stanhope St and Cuin Mhuire in Athy. Anyone have other recommendations?
    Unfortunately going to private centres isn't an option.

Thanks!
    Eims

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bank

hI misRV

If you contact Asherie (Not sure I've spelt the name correctly) they have a 30 day residential centre in both Wexford and Tipperary. The cost is €7,000/mth, however they are willing to except people who will pay installments afterwards and it is covered under insurance/vhi etc. If you think about it, its not too much to ask for 30 day full board plus all the psychotherapy needed etc. Imagine how much drink costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Thanks for replying Bank. Unfortunately he cannot afford 7K even spread out over a year, etc. He is on the social welfare and is trying to keep up with his mortgage.
    Hopefully he will get a medical card. He was discharged from hospital last week and was told the social worker would be in touch, but nada!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bank

Thats really tough. I understand not been able to afford treatment as I'm also on social walfare. Its incredible that one of Irelands biggest medical problems is not taking seriously enough. There is absolutely thousands and thousands spent on medication, doctor and hospital appointments which in many cases are caused by excess alcohol but yet when people are desperarte to get help, there is very little help available. I know there is AA and thank God for it as it does help a lot of people in the Gutter but Its not a help to others. We are very complex human beings and it takes a lot to change the mindset of some of us.

I personally got to the stage where my desire to stop finally outweighed my desire to drink. It has been and still is a very rocky road but I have to take responsibility for myself as other wise life to me isn't worth it. I use the library a lot and read read and read. I'm a fan of self help books. Some are rubbish but others I find I get something out of. At the moment I am reading a book that explains in good detail how our sub concious mind works, how we develop bad habits, why we keep our bad habits and how to rid ourselves of bad habits. It has a good chapter on drug and alcoholism and explains that they are basically distructive thoughts and behaviours. I won't go into detail but the book has good examples of how people have been helped.

The one thing I have realised is that we need to work on change, work on reconditioning our thoughts for change to eventually happen. Its never going to happen over night but each new day brings us a little closer to a better life. I'm committed to giving it my best and will be posting in six months to tell people how successful I've been.

One last note. Your friend would definitely find posting on this forum a very helpful habit. It makes me feel less alone. It makes me feel normal. Just someone who has up to now, made choices that haven't helped in giving me the best life I can have. Now althought I wouldn't wish alcohol/drug or any other addicion on anyone or advise it, I am determined to finally put my terrible experiences to good use and give back to society as much valuable good it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sobervillage

Hi There

Did you get your help that you needed? It maybe worth his while going further away from home to really get a better look at his life and his addiction.

We are based in Spain www.sobervillage.co.uk or just email us on info@sobervillage.co.uk all advice is free to you and your friend. So contact us at any time.

Clare

Advertisement