Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite WC final match ?

• 07-07-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭

Whats your favourite WC final match that you watched live. There have a lot of poor finals imo. I hated 90/94 especially. Quite enjoyed France beating Brazil in 98. The last 2 finals did nothing for me. Maradona against Germany in 86 I enjoyed but not as much as 82.

Maybe its the memories of an 8 year old but I loved the 82 final. good against evil. I hated the germans. I had wanted France to win and the germans cheated them out of it as far as I was concerned. Tardellis and Altobellis goals and Tardellis celebration were great. Altobellis goal was lost a bit in that Tardellis celebration became the iconic moment but I loved the way Altobelli kept his head shifted the ball and stuck it in. That was what I kept trying to recreate in games. draw the keeper, shift it and stick it past him. didn't work often :o

final highlights in italian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

From the poor selection I have (born in 1986), I would say 2002. Ronaldo was a real hero of mine so seeing his redemption made for a happy Sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

World Cup Finals have usually been kinda sh*t tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Next Sunday with a bit of luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say 1978 but I can hardly remember it at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

First one I watched was '98, but '06 was the best I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

'86 is the only one I've seen that I'd even watch highlights of again. Burruchaaaaaggaaaa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

From the poor selection I have (born in 1986), I would say 2002. Ronaldo was a real hero of mine so seeing his redemption made for a happy Sunday morning.

This pretty much. I vaguely remember 1990. 1994 was the first one where I had a fair idea what was going on. So I have a pretty poor selection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

1998. It was the culmination of a very good World Cup. Zidane made his mark, and he continued to be a lynchpin of world football until his retirement in 2006.

I would also consider 1990 a special final as it was the first I ever watched. I remember Maradona in tears after, and my Granny telling me what a great player he was.

2002 was a reasonable final. As another poster has mentioned, it allowed Ronaldo make amends, and highlight his true ability. Eitherway, that Brazil team was anything but great.

I cant possibly try to justify 1994 or 2006 as worth watching. I recall waiting all evening in my Granny's house in rural Longford (as I did in 1990) for the 1994 final. It was appallingly dry, and it didnt finish till close to midnight. With the exception of a fumble by either Taffarrel or Paliuga which was saved, and Cafu being introduced as an early sub, I cant recall any of that match, aside from the Penos. 2006 was a poor final between ordinary teams who were about to go into decline. The early goals made it appear that we were in for a cracker. We were not !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

2002. Ronaldo and Rivaldo v Kahn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Best one for me was 86 final. Argentina 2 up, Germany came back and made it 2 all with 10 mins to go and then Burrchaga scored a great winner in 83rd minute.

Topped off by Maradona, in his prime, lifting the trophy. Never forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

watching Kahn try to drag Germany past that Brazil attack was phenomenally intriguing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Have vague memories of the 86 final and Jose Luis Brown heading in the opening goal. All the finals since then have not been great tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Don't know about anyone else, but at pretty much every World Cup, I tend to think there is at least one team who should be in the final that don't make it. To a degree, it punctures my interest in the final itself.

Four years ago, I would have rather seen Germany than Italy in it -especially with the home factor. France were not really any better either - relying too much on the older set of players.

Didn't think the Germany team of 2002 were anything special either, and it was a bad sign when the keeper was the most celebrated player on the team (i.e: Oliver Kahn that year).

Some average finals over the years indeed, and as long as you don't get expectations very high.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

86 for me. Quarter finals, Eng Vs Arg and France Vs Brasil. Awesome games. Then the Semi's Arg Vs Belgium - great goals. And the germans picked off a wrecked french team. And then a very good final. The 3rd 4th place game had 6 goals and there was a cracking match between belgium and the ussr (remember them) in the quarters/last 16 where it was 4-3 after extra time. Ceulemans (spell) was a cacking little player for the waffles.

I have alot of these games on video with old school magee comentary tape worn out in places. His running commentary for his goal against england (different class, DIFFERENT CLASS) is one of my favourite memories and has made Diego one of my all time favourite players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

lordgoat wrote: »
    86 for me. Quarter finals, Eng Vs Arg and France Vs Brasil. Awesome games. Then the Semi's Arg Vs Belgium - great goals. And the germans picked off a wrecked french team. And then a very good final. The 3rd 4th place game had 6 goals and there was a cracking match between belgium and the ussr (remember them) in the quarters/last 16 where it was 4-3 after extra time. Ceulemans (spell) was a cacking little player for the waffles.

I have alot of these games on video with old school magee comentary tape worn out in places. His running commentary for his goal against england (different class, DIFFERENT CLASS) is one of my favourite memories and has made Diego one of my all time favourite players.

do you like to watch these once the post world cup blues set in?:p

my favourite final would be the 1998 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

1998, remember that tournament was my introduction to Thierry Henry :) and of course who could forget the final :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/46914328_60e966ef3e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Brazil didn't turn up on the night at all! They made it easier for France than it should have been.

Shame Holland with Kluivert, Bergkamp, Van Der Sar, etc. did not take Brazil's place IMO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

1994 for me. Probably the most brilliant display of defending from the great Franco Baresi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

1978...if only for the ticker tape before the match. Loved that argie team, my first World Cup, that i remember...ah, Kmepes, Bertoni, the bould Luque, Ardiles and the chain smoking Ceasar Menotti as manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1998 - Argentina v Netherlands

"Dennis Bergkamp....Dennis Bergkamp....Dennis Bergkamp....DENNIS BERGKAMP....DENNIS BERGKAMP!!!"

Epic

Edit: Just re-read the thread title. FAIL!

1998 was the best for me. I told all my mates that Zidane was class but he wasn't too well known amongst 13 year olds. That all changed pretty quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

86 for me, great game, remember watching it with my dad, maradona what a player, the germans kicked the crap out of him that night but he still won em the game

all the finals since have been shi*e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

for me it would have to be the first one that i can remember and that was......spain 82 italy v w.germany

not a great game but i can recall paulo rossi's goal and tardelli's passionate latin celebration

it also seemed so other-worldly and a pleasant change from the GAA muck that was forced down our throats at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I can vaugely recall the 78 final, the ticker tape and Kempes mostly

I really enjoyed the 86 and 98 finals

90, 94, 02 and 06 were s**t if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

fryup wrote: »
    for me it would have to be the first one that i can remember and that was......spain 82 italy v w.germany

not a great game but i can recall paulo rossi's goal and tardelli's passionate latin celebration

it also seemed so other-worldly and a pleasant change from the GAA muck that was forced down our throats at the time

Why bring your hatred of the GAA into this??? And anyway there was litlle live GAA in 1982, only the All Ireland semsi and Final but dont let that stiop your ill informed rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Only seen '02 and '06 neither were particularly good but probably enjoyed the '06 one the most because I watched it in a pub full of Italians and French.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

do you like to watch these once the post world cup blues set in?:p

my favourite final would be the 1998 one.

If i had them on DVD i certainly would. Some great football in this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

74 & 78 for me, Cruyff's display on the losing Dutch side of 74 was superb, Luque, Kempes, Ossie of 78 plus ticker tape reception was incredible. 82 & 86 get honorable mentions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

My favourite has to be 06. All the rest were pants in my lifetime.

Advertisement