Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independent columnists

• 07-07-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

I see the farming indo has replaced its teagasc columnists with a whole new stable of independent (pardon the pun) writers. A badly needed breath of fresh air judging by what was in yesterdays paper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

agcons wrote: »
    I see the farming indo has replaced its teagasc columnists with a whole new stable of independent (pardon the pun) writers. A badly needed breath of fresh air judging by what was in yesterdays paper.

What's your definition of independent??????:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

plugging your own business there by any chance:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

whelan1 wrote: »

Nice one whelan! I bought the paper and I didn't notice any difference.:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭agcons

BeeDI wrote: »
    What's your definition of independent??????:mad::mad:
    Guys like Joe Barry and John Shirley, not afraid to call it as they see it without looking over their shoulder to see if official ireland approves, or worried about whose toes they might be stepping on.

whelan1 wrote: »
    Talk about stepping on toes!! and whats the point of the sarky?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

well you're not doctor dan anyway cos hes v busy scanning cows!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

blue5000 wrote: »

haha v. good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

John Shirley was good, in fairness...and a gentleman to add.
    I always valued his opinion.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Too true. He is recognised as world class in his field and a seriously hard worker, have heard stories of him being in farmers yards at 6.30 am working away when the farmer arrives to see what the commotion is. 'First thing in the morning' really is 'first thing' when he is on the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

i will miss john donsworth .he is a good dairy adviser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 squarebale

please tell me that Joe Healy is gone and I will never have to read his braindead 2-line intros on the previous weekends sport. Does this guy have any idea how predictably facile this is

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

Too true. He is recognised as world class in his field and a seriously hard worker, have heard stories of him being in farmers yards at 6.30 am working away when the farmer arrives to see what the commotion is. 'First thing in the morning' really is 'first thing' when he is on the job

No doubt he picked up the early starts when he was being trained how to PD cows ( and it wasn't in Ireland ! ! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Guys like Joe Barry and John Shirley, not afraid to call it as they see it without looking over their shoulder to see if official ireland approves, or worried about whose toes they might be stepping on.

Not a regular reader but Joe Barry rarely disappoints - rock of sense on most issues:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Speaking of farming indo, did ye all send in the tokens for the nice red New Holland.:D
    Er, I mean Case tractor. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

john shirley talks alot of sense also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Joe and John are there for years now, the guys that replaced the teagasc crew are Mary Kingston who is excellent replacement for john donworth, Dan Ryan who i don't know much about but rarely fails to mention getting cows scanned, who is the other guy i think he's a dairy farmer from up north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

funny man wrote: »
    Joe and John are there for years now, the guys that replaced the teagasc crew are Mary Kingston who is excellent replacement for john donworth, Dan Ryan who i don't know much about but rarely fails to mention getting cows scanned, who is the other guy i think he's a dairy farmer from up north?
    Oliver Mcdonnell?:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

5live wrote: »
    Oliver Mcdonnell?:D:D:D

oh yea i remember him, why did he quit?
    There is a new guy writing on the dairy section anther dairy farmer can't think of his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There is a new guy writing on the dairy section anther dairy farmer can't think of his name.

He probably no longer had the time, still out looking for the few blackies he bought once upon a time, put them in an unsuitably fenced (hedged) field then gave out reams about them escaping :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Oliver McDonnell ....Wasnt he the boy that got in trouble for slagging off conception rates and semen from an AI company and the paper had to issue an apology... no sign of him after that!!

He used always say "the lads, the lads, the lads" ... "as i write now the lads are chasing the cows down the lane, the lads reckon..etc" ???:D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

ah dr dan part myth part legend...... he is one tough operator!!!!!
    tis a pity the indo cant expand god knows a bit of competition would keep the journal on its toes tis getting fair boring these days same stuff every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

flatout11 wrote: »
    .....competition would keep the journal on its toes tis getting fair boring these days same stuff every week
    I agree. Before, I always read it cover to cover. Now it's a case of, glancing through it to see it there's anything new.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    I agree. Before, I always read it cover to cover. Now it's a case of, glancing through it to see it there's anything new.:(

+1
    its like one big classified section now, I like the the part where they cover a new building or yard. i think they could do alot more with machinery reviewing and it would be nice if they gave a accurate price for new gear as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

+1
    its like one big classified section now, I like the the part where they cover a new building or yard. i think they could do alot more with machinery reviewing and it would be nice if they gave a accurate price for new gear as well.

Are you talking about the Farming independent or the Journal Vander?

I think the J3 supplement in the journal is a little laughable to be honest. Yes the first 6-8 pages can have interesting and relevant topics, the rest...... classifieds!!! I can't get my head around it. I'd understand if it had a few full or half page corporate ads to pay for the reporting, but lumping in classifieds for the whole paper to 'bulk' up the supplement isn't wise or fooling anyone. If there is only 4,6 or 8 pages of reporting and the supplement is small.... so be it!

They claim it's a 'pullout'. My take on 'pullouts' is that they should cover an important topic and contain lots of important information, information that is worth keeping or hanging onto! You'd then pull it out and keep it for future reference. How many people do? Who wants to be keeping a supplement that is 60-70% small ad classifieds that are going to date????

the machinery section was an after thought pity though
    as for the rest ...... the dairy section well enough said, the livestock section is the same old story about a fella putting cattle out in january or a lad doing a great job on ewes or some other nonsense .... same old news oh and did i forget and the 10 commandments and the 2 pages of Better farms ...!!!! to be fair the crops section looks ok!!!!
    yet i buy it every week, still it has pictures to look at :rolleyes:
    tis a pity there is not enough straight forward articles bit of technical info interesting farm profiles (see the TSF for an example) ah well i guess we are stuck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Farming independent or the Journal Vander?

I think the J3 supplement in the journal is a little laughable to be honest. Yes the first 6-8 pages can have interesting and relevant topics, the rest...... classifieds!!! I can't get my head around it. I'd understand if it had a few full or half page corporate ads to pay for the reporting, but lumping in classifieds for the whole paper to 'bulk' up the supplement isn't wise or fooling anyone. If there is only 4,6 or 8 pages of reporting and the supplement is small.... so be it!

They claim it's a 'pullout'. My take on 'pullouts' is that they should cover an important topic and contain lots of important information, information that is worth keeping or hanging onto! You'd then pull it out and keep it for future reference. How many people do? Who wants to be keeping a supplement that is 60-70% small ad classifieds that are going to date????
    sorry meant journal, dont actually bother with daily newpaper so never really see farming indo, the online ver seems crap.. i think the problem the journal have is they are very reliant on advertising revenue so they probably cant give rubbish reviews very often as its such a small pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

flatout11 wrote: »
    the machinery section was an after thought pity though
    as for the rest ...... the dairy section well enough said, the livestock section is the same old story about a fella putting cattle out in january or a lad doing a great job on ewes or some other nonsense .... same old news oh and did i forget and the 10 commandments and the 2 pages of Better farms ...!!!! to be fair the crops section looks ok!!!!
    yet i buy it every week, still it has pictures to look at :rolleyes:
    tis a pity there is not enough straight forward articles bit of technical info interesting farm profiles (see the TSF for an example) ah well i guess we are stuck with it

I quite like the article's on the better farm program, At least they give good info and figures on whats going on. I like the articles on different beef farmers around the country and abroad too, Its good to see different setups and systems. Its a pity they dont do a weekly update on grange which is supposed to be setting the standard for suckler/beef farmers. As for most of the rest of it...a load of poo!!

I quite like the article's on the better farm program, At least they give good info and figures on whats going on. I like the articles on different beef farmers around the country and abroad too, Its good to see different setups and systems. Its a pity they dont do a weekly update on grange which is supposed to be setting the standard for suckler/beef farmers. As for most of the rest of it...a load of poo!!
    never found all that much really interesting in it each week so stopped reading it, i find the weekly updates a bit boring you seet up a system and manage it i dont really want to know if you weaned 5 calves this week!!!!
    after 3 years of them i would like to see a critical article comparing cow type or systems from them- thats the kind of info id find interesting
    i agree with you the articles from scotland etc were good - different approach to farming may not allways be applicable here but gives you ideas none the less!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

+1

Agreed on the whole machinery pricing thing, but trying to get accurate prices in any form of publication in this country is impossible and a pet hate of mine. Why the secrecy?
    The buildings part is a good idea, executed with mediocrity. The pictures are good, but Paul Mooney writes at a Senior Infants level and is prone to errors. A few years back, he wrote an article stating that VAT was reclaimable on farm building materials but not on the labour!

As for the BETTER farmers, I always got the impression that their reports were choreographed to ensure they were giving the same opinions as the Journal's own experts, e.g. Justin McCarthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Bogman Billy

squarebale wrote: »
    please tell me that Joe Healy is gone and I will never have to read his braindead 2-line intros on the previous weekends sport. Does this guy have any idea how predictably facile this is

He's at it again today :o

He's at it again today :o

maybe he is waiting for a call up from RTE for the sunday game :)

The buildings part is a good idea, executed with mediocrity. The pictures are good, but Paul Mooney writes at a Senior Infants level and is prone to errors.

I totally agree :D I wrote to both himself and the editor regarding the poor quality of an article recently, but never heard back from them! I wasn't looking for a long winded full blown response, I know they must be inundated with emails/letters. But just an acknowledgement even of receipt of my email would have sufficed....but no, not a word back.

You never see any 'letters to the editor' than God forbid find fault with them. It seems to be the same heads there too that get their letters published also.... back and forth about the dairy industry. And do they have to keep to the recommended word count, ah not at all. Take up half the page why don't ya, not a bother. Who you know, not what you know. So typically Irish :rolleyes:

Paul Mooney writes at a Senior Infants level

JUst thinking... sure if his writing is at that level, perhaps his IT skills and comprehension of my email were equally poor.... how could he respond?

Paul, if your reading this, sorry for being so harsh.

Advertisement