Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any over 40's starting in Sept?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Fea. wrote: »
    I was worried going back to education again after so long but as it turned out, it wasn't college life, teenage students or even the work load that was hard, all that was the easy part for me, it was the disgust of certain family members that was my obstacle. Husband left me, family disowned me (more or less), I was accused of taking a genuine students place, apparently the opinion is that us 'mature' students are hogging all the college places and personally I was made to feel as if I was the one leading the herd !!!!

Lecturers are brilliant, really supportive. Classmates are the best, all of them accepted me as one of their own and include me no matter what is going on. They of course think its hilarious that my eldest (of 4 kids) is going to college this coming September and is so impressed with my course, has decided to come in behind me. So, he'll be in first year, I'll be in second year, we'll be the laughing stock of the family lol but not the college, they think its great.

Sorry can't remember who started this thread but if you want to educate yourself, like I do, then do whatever it takes to make sure you do it. Nobody has the right to say you don't deserve it, because you sure do.

Best of luck xxx
    Fea. I'm so sorry to hear how folks reacted to you trying to better yourself. You are a shiniing example to your kids! Keep up the good work hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Fea.

spacecat wrote: »
    Fea. I'm so sorry to hear how folks reacted to you trying to better yourself. You are a shiniing example to your kids! Keep up the good work hun.

Thank you xxx have now just completed first year exams and I'm sitting here not knowing what to do with myself but I'm sure the big stack of books I've been building will be a great place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 3 askyourmother

Guess i get the gold medal.....46 and 3/4's .....:D . Married, two teenagers, two dogs, mortgage, etc etc.. Just got accepted for degree course in UCD......did my lc in 1982 :eek:, 4 years of study ahead, most people think im mad, , but i am both excited and apprehensive. Not sure how i will be received among my fellow students, something of an oddity perhaps, but i am, as they say," up for it" !!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭2ndchance

Well done askyourmother! It's your turn now so take it and enjoy every minute. Have interview next week myself (NUIM). If it get in I'll be 43 with 2 kids in college, 1 in secondary and one in senior infants....but really hope I do:). Congrats again to everyone studying against the odds.

Askyourmother (love the name lol) Congratulations, your going to have the time of your life.

2ndchance (another great name!) Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

As for me, I'm both dreading and looking forward to June 7th, results day. The ultimate question: Will I make it into 2nd year?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 timdenn

Thank you xxx have now just completed first year exams and I'm sitting here not knowing what to do with myself but I'm sure the big stack of books I've been building will be a great place to start

Congratulations Fea, takes a lot of courage and strength to do what you did and are still doing, ignore the begrudgers, Keep doing what you're doing :)

Thank you Timdenn, much appreciated xxx

Feu, you've done so well to get through first year despite everything, that when you get your results, passing will be even sweeter! Best of luck on the 7th. Let us know how you get on.

Well, I had to just come back and tell you all my good news !!!! I'm so thrilled I'm like a kid with a bucket of lollipops lol

I passed everything... I'm still in shock and can't believe the load that has been lifted from my shoulders. I didn't realise just how much it was weighing me down but today, now that the shock has lessened a little, I feel dead chuffed !!!

I'm 39 next month and I have just finished a 3 year IT Degree.

I just got my results this morning and I did really well, I am chuffed.

It was definitely an experience, a lot of hard work and time, though it makes it a lot more valuable when I look back at what I achieved at this moment.

I wish all of you who are returning to education the best for the future.

Now, I'm of to celebrate.

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »
    I'm 39 next month and I have just finished a 3 year IT Degree.

I just got my results this morning and I did really well, I am chuffed.

It was definitely an experience, a lot of hard work and time, though it makes it a lot more valuable when I look back at what I achieved at this moment.

I wish all of you who are returning to education the best for the future.

Now, I'm of to celebrate.

WELL DONE YOU !!!! I'm delighted for you. enjoy the celebrations, you more than deserve it xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well done guys!!

I was the same last year. I felt only after I passed all my exams that I felt like I deserved a place on the course. It definitely boosts your confidence and you go into second year with a different attitude. :)

Enjoy the celebrations.

Well done to both of you. Great news indeed! I'm starting NUIM in September so this time next year I hope to know that feeling! Go and celebrate.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 wuzzik

Hi I can see a lot of you are nervous about starting college in September. I started two years ago at the age of 46. I did a Fetac level 5 and then a BTEC Higher National Diploma in Social Care. I was really nervous for all the reasons you have given.

I was in a class with "kids" the same age and younger than my own and most of my tutors were younger than me. I have to say it has been a fantastic experience. I got on really well with all of my class and the tutors and achieved excellent results. I found it easy to do the assignments because they were so interesting. As a mature student it is easier to understand certain parts of the course I am doing because of life experience and as a mature student you are grateful for the opportunity to study and you make the most of it.

I have now been offered a place to do an Honours degree starting in September and I can not wait. I will be 52 by the time I finish but who cares age is nothing more than a number.

Relax and look forward to college!!:D

I was worried going back to education again after so long but as it turned out, it wasn't college life, teenage students or even the work load that was hard, all that was the easy part for me, it was the disgust of certain family members that was my obstacle. Husband left me, family disowned me (more or less), I was accused of taking a genuine students place, apparently the opinion is that us 'mature' students are hogging all the college places and personally I was made to feel as if I was the one leading the herd !!!!

Lecturers are brilliant, really supportive. Classmates are the best, all of them accepted me as one of their own and include me no matter what is going on. They of course think its hilarious that my eldest (of 4 kids) is going to college this coming September and is so impressed with my course, has decided to come in behind me. So, he'll be in first year, I'll be in second year, we'll be the laughing stock of the family lol but not the college, they think its great.

Sorry can't remember who started this thread but if you want to educate yourself, like I do, then do whatever it takes to make sure you do it. Nobody has the right to say you don't deserve it, because you sure do.

Best of luck xxx

Fea congratulations on sticking it out when the family were on your case about it. I was in college with my middle daughter last year because she did a one year course in art and design and my youngers daughter was with me this year doing the course I did last year. It is such an honour to go to college with your kids.

Guess i get the gold medal.....46 and 3/4's .....:D . Married, two teenagers, two dogs, mortgage, etc etc.. Just got accepted for degree course in UCD......did my lc in 1982 :eek:, 4 years of study ahead, most people think im mad, , but i am both excited and apprehensive. Not sure how i will be received among my fellow students, something of an oddity perhaps, but i am, as they say," up for it" !!

Sorry to take your gold medal away - HAHA 48 three daughters ages 24, 20, 18 and a grandson who is 4. Married for 29 years finished school in 1980. Just finished a BTEC diploma in Social Care and starting an Honours Degree at AIT in September.

Can not wait I have loved the studying and made some great friends at college. Yes many of them are younger than my kids.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Barrett6

Well, I had to just come back and tell you all my good news !!!! I'm so thrilled I'm like a kid with a bucket of lollipops lol

I passed everything... I'm still in shock and can't believe the load that has been lifted from my shoulders. I didn't realise just how much it was weighing me down but today, now that the shock has lessened a little, I feel dead chuffed !!!

WOW!
    Well done you. Thats super news. You're such an inspiration!
    I've been offered a place on the Social Work degree course in UCC starting in Sept. I'm so excited and chuffed,(I'm 42) but having a job, four children and a hubby, there are lots of issues floating around in my head! It's something I've always wanted to do but never had the chance until now.
    I've got loads of support and encouragement from my husband but the negative reactions from people have resulted in me not telling others about it.
    Decisions, decisions, decisions!
    You are definetly swaying me though, thanks!

You know what? I love logging in here! This thread is so positive and encouraging to all us auldies haha I'm only joking but you know what I mean. Its just lovely to meet so many others in the same boat that understand exactly what each of us have to go through to get what we want, or in most cases, fight for what we deserve.

To those of you who are older than me.... you are my inspiration.
    To those of you who are coming into first year... you will be in my 2nd year shoes next year.
    To those ahead of me... watch out, we're coming behind you fast!

We should have a virtual drink to celebrate, *holds a glass of bubbly up high* Cheers everyone!!! :) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

We should have a virtual drink to celebrate, *holds a glass of bubbly up high* Cheers everyone!!! :) xxx

You know I'll join you on that glass of bubbly, Got my results today 3 B's 2 C's I am now a 2nd Year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gonegray

I was 40 starting a BSc last Sept. Got my results a couple of days ago, and now it's on to 2nd year.
    I would not be worried about starting a degree at over 40, what is age but a number. Remember that you have experienced life already and will bring things to college that those just out of the leaving cert will not. As Fea said it will not take long for your classmates to accept you as you will all be studying the same subjects (or modules).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You would probably be much better off starting college at a mature age. If I had my way, I would actually increase the minimum age. Would keep alot of the pissers out. More serious college grad == better results overall.

omg I can't believe I actually found this thread. I knew it was in here somewhere but not being as savvy as I thought I was, do you think I could find it???

Not sure if anyone else can find their way back here but just wanted to tell everyone that I'm still struggling on, half way to my degree now !!! yay me !! I passed all my exams again for semester 3, started into semester 4 already and still plodding along (not at the walking frame stage yet but there are days when I do feel like it lol)

Would love to hear how everyone else is getting on xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

omg I can't believe I actually found this thread. I knew it was in here somewhere but not being as savvy as I thought I was, do you think I could find it???

Not sure if anyone else can find their way back here but just wanted to tell everyone that I'm still struggling on, half way to my degree now !!! yay me !! I passed all my exams again for semester 3, started into semester 4 already and still plodding along (not at the walking frame stage yet but there are days when I do feel like it lol)

Would love to hear how everyone else is getting on xxx

Congrats on passing your exams to date fea :). Tell me do you find it easier to take stuff on board now that your are a mature a student than when you were in secondary school?

i'll be 31 in march and im waiting for a degree course to be put up online to see if I qualify for it but incase I don't I plan on going back to do my leaving cert again and gets the peoper grades points so I can have a wider choice of courses then. Not so many out there that let you in purely on the basis of maturity :(. I wonder will it be easier to study and take things on board as a mature instead of the 18 year old who just wants to start making money which is what I did :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hi all, I forgot about this thread which i started back in 2010. Just got a notification from your thread Fea and yes it is great to come back and read all the positive posts here.
    I'm 44 now and fast approaching 45. Just started second semester of my second year and loving every minute of it. Yes it is much much harder than I expected it to be but it is also so much more amazing than i expected it. The learning and sense of accomplishment gets so addictive and for the first time in my life i really feel that every thing i accomplish here is for ME. not for an employer, a client, etc etc. Every hour of work i put in benefits me.

Yes the other students are great too. A funny thing happens when you go back as a mature student (at least it happened for me). Initially you are their parents' peer but soon you and the students become academic peers and you communicate on the same level. We all help each other out, trading notes at exam time, help with assignments etc and sometimes they can be even more mature than me. Sometimes i get told to chill out, its only 3% for this assignment!!! Granted you are still not social peers and prob dont want to be, but its nice when they still invite you on their social nites out etc.

I was lucky to have 6 other mature students in my first year, hadnt happened before in Engineering and hasnt happened since, but they are a great support and fun to hang out with. It is great to be able to tell them you didnt understand a word of the last lecture and they will look you and beam 'Yeah me too, what was all that about'!:confused:

It is a whole new world in third level and you are exposed to phenomena you never even knew exisited. If you are interested in learning more there are seminars, debates......anything to stimulate the interested mind.
    The back up services are also great for mature students and there is always support in some form or other in the college.

Congrats to all over 40's for taking on the challenge and for those of you considering it. It is a brave thing to do but one of the most rewarding. Keep posting to encourage others to follow and keep updating on your progress. I'm one to talk, i havent posted in over year, but there again college keeps me busy..............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Just turned 43 a few weeks ago and now heading headlong into second semester of 2nd year, Passed all Semester 3 exams and feeling alot more confident about getting through this degree only 20 exams and coop to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

i feel we are only back a wet week and already we are being given mid-term exam dates!! argggggg:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Hi guys this thread really makes me feel like I'm not alone. I'm 41 years old and I have applied to do a FETAC 6 science so I can use it to get on the 2nd/3rd year of a science degree. I've done the FETAC 5 last year and got all distinctions :D. I've applied to Sligo IT and I got the impression from the open day that mature students are still a new thing there. By mature students I mean people 30 or older. So - yes dreading it. Especially the course I've picked it's not the usual type of course the mature crowd go for unlike social sciences, nursing, humanities. Anyway this is my last chance to do this - study something I'm passionate about as oppose to just doing a job to pay the bills - as I have over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Yes id say there is quiet a few college's that don't really have mature students. My wife has been in and out of work since we moved from Dublin to Laois 6 years ago so last year we decided she could try killybegs and sure enough she got onto the course. She is doing a 9 month intensive chef course. You get qualified as a 3rd year commis chef in the 9 months :) hence the intensive phrase. Im looking to go to Killybegs next year too but for a wind energy degree course and id say there will be more mature students on that than there will be school leavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Hi Gareth - yeah I know that college well. It's just down the road from us - we're near Donegal Town. I believe it's part of Letterkenny IT that college but there is no science there so no good to me. Glad to hear your wifes doing something she enjoys and hope you get on your course next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Scoob - there is Science in Letterkenny.

I'm 33 and half way through the Access course for mature students. I'd say the average age is about 30. The eldest in my class is 46. The older students seem to the the more vocal ones in class, they participate more and ask more questions. And so the tutors love us lol!! I'm thrilled with my exam results from the Xmas exams, just hope I do as well in this semester! And get onto the course I hope to do in September.

Keep up the updates, it's brilliant encouragement. :D

Advertisement