Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft stinks

• 08-07-2010 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Good old Microsoft ireland has put it's marketing team on notice - for the second time in 13 months while it's poor-performing (and mostly stupid) management team try to save their own hides by sacrificing a few of the lower levels. Plus several "contractors" or vendors were put on notice today - some have worked in Microsoft for years - but have no job protection . and this is The best place to work in Ireland? The most frightened place to work more like.
    But guess what , no news of this in the papers on the net, or tv - first it's just a few jobs and more importantly it's a US multinational - no one wants to get the USMNC's upset - particularly Microsoft - so no one challenges the sort of treatment this place dishes out.

Why is this in the marketing blog? - because Microsoft pretends to be a marketing centric company - it's not, the people feeling the most of the pressure under the second redundancy programme in 14 months, is the marketing team. Microsoft doesn't support marketing in fact it doesn't even understand it, and all the "awards" in the world won't make up for that.

Shame on you Paul Rellis and on all those who are standing by and letting this happen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

Interesting post but I can't help but assume you aren't writing this from a neutral point of view. I also wonder if this should be in the Work & Jobs forum.

Anyway, you make it seem as though Microsoft are threating to let all their marketing staff go, which sounds unlikely. In my experience contractors and vendors in any company have always been the first to the chopping block when cuts are to be made - as are new hires and/or grads. Thats the way it is in every company.

I'd say the reason this is not in the news (or online) is because MNC's normally have a no union policy, so usually no-one shouts out about it. What surprises me is that there is you've no mention of whether the sales team have been put on notice with the marketing team, which is usually the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

nuttlys wrote: »
    Interesting post but I can't help but assume you aren't writing this from a neutral point of view. I also wonder if this should be in the Work & Jobs forum.

Anyway, you make it seem as though Microsoft are threating to let all their marketing staff go, which sounds unlikely. In my experience contractors and vendors in any company have always been the first to the chopping block when cuts are to be made - as are new hires and/or grads. Thats the way it is in every company.

I'd say the reason this is not in the news (or online) is because MNC's normally have a no union policy, so usually no-one shouts out about it. What surprises me is that there is you've no mention of whether the sales team have been put on notice with the marketing team, which is usually the case.

Huge generalisation there. I'm inclned to disagree with you.

@OP. You're very unfair to Microsoft there. I've witnessed huge staff offloads lately. It's happening everywhere.
    I always thougt Microsoft was a software company not a marketing company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

E39MSport wrote: »
    Huge generalisation there. I'm inclned to disagree with you.

Fair enough but back up your point if you are disagreeing. What companies do you know (who are letting people go) are keeping relatively new employees or contractors over permanent, long serving and, ultimately, more-costly-to-make-redundant employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

maybe OP works for micro$oft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I won't divulge any names but siffice it to say that I have first hand experience of at least 1. You said 'every company'.

I wouldn't put it past some organisations to weed out some rubbish be they recent or long term employees in the name of financial strain, ostensibly or otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement