Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is XBMC worth it?

Options
  • 08-07-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I have an unmodded original xbox and an xbox 360. For about 2 years now, I've been streaming music and videos from my desktop, over my wifi network and watching them on my TV. Recently I've been looking into softmodding my xbox and putting XBMC on it. What I want to know is, would it be worth my time? Does XBMC offer anything that I'm not getting from using the media services on my 360?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Schorpio wrote: »
    I have an unmodded original xbox and an xbox 360. For about 2 years now, I've been streaming music and videos from my desktop, over my wifi network and watching them on my TV. Recently I've been looking into softmodding my xbox and putting XBMC on it. What I want to know is, would it be worth my time? Does XBMC offer anything that I'm not getting from using the media services on my 360?

Yes go for it you won't be disapointed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Support for many more containers/file formats.
    Scraping of information about movie files from IMDB etc etc

It's worth doing if you ask me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Agree with the above posts. XBMC is widely recognised as being the best media system hands down. If your x-box is modded, there's also nothing stopping you getting a big hard drive (IDE based ones go for next to nothing now) and using the xbox itself as your media center, therefore doing away with the need to stream altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

XBMC is great, if Your content is all .avi's. I've been using it for ages, but its now time to say goodbye to it as it doesn't play .mkv's which most HD content is these days. The processor in the Xbox isn't powerful enough for HD for them to add it either. I'm building a HTPC for under the tv and using Boxee (as a program on Windows 7) which takes XBMC a step forward

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    but its now time to say goodbye to it as it doesn't play .mkv's which most HD content is these days. The processor in the Xbox isn't powerful enough for HD for them to add it either. I'm building a HTPC for under the tv and using Boxee (as a program on Windows 7) which takes XBMC a step forward

Considering you can get an xbox for under 50 euro these days, I still think it's fair to say it can be an incredible system for that money. It cant play HD content, but for 50 euro I could live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Cheers for the replies! Yeah, I think I'll give XBMC a go. Bit disappointed that it isnt officially supported anymore (though I know there is still a small group of people working on it). I hope all the bells and whistles are still readily available. About Swapping the hard drive though - after the xbox has been softmodded and XBMC installed, can I just copy the contents of the old 8GB hdd onto any IDE hdd that I want, pop it back in and away I go? I know about xbox hard drives needing to be "locked", but that would only prevent playing on live, which was shut down this year. Or am I wrong in saying that?

Cheers for the replies! Yeah, I think I'll give XBMC a go. Bit disappointed that it isnt officially supported anymore (though I know there is still a small group of people working on it). I hope all the bells and whistles are still readily available. About Swapping the hard drive though - after the xbox has been softmodded and XBMC installed, can I just copy the contents of the old 8GB hdd onto any IDE hdd that I want, pop it back in and away I go? I know about xbox hard drives needing to be "locked", but that would only prevent playing on live, which was shut down this year. Or am I wrong in saying that?

There are a couple of ways of doing it from what I remember. The xbox hdd doesnt use a fat/ntfs file system, so you wont be able to use your pc to copy one to the other. There was a software tool available to move the existing hdd to the dvd-rom ide connector, therefore leaving the original hdd connector empty & available to use. Then you went ahead formatted it (xbfs is the file system I think), and used a file browser to copy the contents from one to the other.

I think you can also use xbox360 image explorer to view/copy contents via your pc. Either way, the hdd will have to be locked to your xbox, using the original drives key/code. Sorry for being so vague, but I havn't been involved in the xbox modding world in literally years. It's all straight forward & there are many guides online, including our own softmod thread where you will get some great advice.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Considering you can get an xbox for under 50 euro these days, I still think it's fair to say it can be an incredible system for that money. It cant play HD content, but for 50 euro I could live with that.

Where You going with €50, I bought both mine in Game just over a year ago for €20 each, with a controller and a 3 month warranty.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Where You going with €50, I bought both mine in Game just over a year ago for €20 each, with a controller and a 3 month warranty.

What part confuses you exactly?

If You paid €50 for it now You'd be well ripped off, it was worth €20 a year ago, not a penny more. Telling people its the best value under €50 suggests its worth €50, it not

• Advertisement

If You paid €50 for it now You'd be well ripped off, it was worth €20 a year ago, not a penny more. Telling people its the best value under €50 suggests its worth €50, it not

well right now I've an offer of a modded xbox console with XBMC and a 320GB hdd installed, an unmodded xbox, a 160GB hdd and 2/3 controllers for €90. Good deal d'ya reckon? I know there's a lot there, but €90 is a lot of money.....not sure if I'll take it or not.

well right now I've an offer of a modded xbox console with XBMC and a 320GB hdd installed, an unmodded xbox, a 160GB hdd and 2/3 controllers for €90. Good deal d'ya reckon? I know there's a lot there, but €90 is a lot of money.....not sure if I'll take it or not.

Maybe its worth it, thats alot of kit and lots of time spent, as long as You know the limitations of XBMC

Maybe its worth it, thats alot of kit and lots of time spent, as long as You know the limitations of XBMC

yeah, i do. That's why I'm thinking that €90 would be better put towards a "proper" HD media player. But then again, that wouldn't have the ability to store and play xbox games and emulators.....:rolleyes:

But then again, maybe it's worth it for the IDE hdds? I had a look on dabs and elara and they all seem to be at least €60, and here I'd be getting two! Hmm.....I dunno!!:o

If I remember correctly that was a Game/HMV xbox clearout. Buying one today will usually entail buying one second hand, and normally this means it's gonna come with some games/accessories. Yes you can buy one for under 50 euro (notice the "under" in my original post too), but in most cases the AVERAGE price today will be around that - due to games/accessories etc etc.

Schorpio, there are plenty of IDE drives available in the used market. Our very own adverts.ie has an 80Gb IDE drive for 20 euro on the first page of my search. Ebay probably has a lot more. Seriously, if you're smart here you can get yourself a well established little media center and save yourself a packet. 90 quid is too dear, again on adverts there's one for 30 euro with 2 games. Thats an xbox & 80 gig drive for 50 ;)

Edit - didnt spot your offer was for 2 xboxs and the bigger hdd's. It would be worth it, if you kept the modded console & just sold on the unmodded one to recoup some of the money.

Advertisement