Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can a tyre puncture?

• 08-07-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been using my turbo trainer quite a bit I'm glad to say (thanks again for all those who helped!) and I've had my first puncture. The tyre itself looks like it still has a bit of life left in it, I have a replacement ready to go but I'd like to get as much out of it as possible, but it's leaking air. I pumped it up again and it's slowly but surely deflating. I'm about 95kg so I'm just wondering is it likely it's just the tube, or should I just go and replace the tyre and tube? The tyre was all red new but has black lines appearing now from use but it doesn't look so bad as though the tube has been hitting the resistance wheel causing it to burst itself and it's just a slow puncture too (still half the air in it after maybe 20 minutes).

Just wondering what the advice is really? To get as much life as possible or to just replace and be done with it. I certainly don't want to lose another tube due to a balding tyre anyway :)

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Find out where the hole is exactly. Then match that up to where it was on the tire, just in case there is something stuck in the tire. Failing that, it could be the valve leaking. Dip it in water to find out for sure.

On another note, I think I emailed you to get a lift to Cork a few weeks ago when I was doing Mizen to Malin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply. I don't recall that email at the moment I'm afraid? :)

Don't think it would be the valve, as I kept the pump connected and the pressure still went down on the gauge. Can't really think of anything that could have gotten in the tyre either considering it's just on the rolling resistor the whole time.

I'll probably just end up replacing both the tyre and tube. Sure it's a small price to pay for the benefit I get from it anyway :)

If you really want to see where the hole is, take it out of the tire, and pump it up a little. Then place it in basin of water and you should see bubbles emanating from where ever the hole is. You tire might be fine and it could just be a dodgy tube.

I emailed you back in March. Don't worry, you responded very promptly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Is that the turbo tyre I sold you? You really shouldn't have to replace a tyre just because you puncture, just replace the tube. It is the tube that does the leaking, not the tyre. I would go through a lot of tyres if I replaced one every time I had a puncture.

• Advertisement

Ah that's good to know Raam :) I remember the oul bubble trick from when I was a child!

Yup, that's the one Blorg, same tyre still, few black steaks on it from wear but still plenty of red on it still. Just wondering really is it likely the tyre is at fault since the tube wouldn't have the same impact and risks to it as it would on the road (potholes, glass etc) and must it mean that the tyre is wearing too thin causing extra wear on the tube thus causing it to leak?

Can't really see the tube having much work to do fitted to a trainer wheel causing it to go by its own accord?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It does happen. You will only be able to diagnose if you take out the tube and find the puncture. Personally I would replace the tube not the tyre; maybe try an extra thick tube, the one I put in was a lightweight road tube. I have seen suggestions that heat can be an issue. Could be an issue with the rim tape either- again you will only work it out when you find the puncture.

Thanks again blorg, will give it a go just replacing the tube first so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

why a turbo in the middle of the summer in lovely weather?

I don't keep to any regular routines and I'm often tight on time, it's handy to be able to just hop up onto it and get a good workout in 20 minutes before a shower when I can. Glad to say I've been keeping it up too :) That's the reason I bought it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement